Henry's Trade Value

'cuz a 3-4th round draftpick has about a 30% chance of panning out, while Travis' history tells us he has about a 90% chance of being a dynamite back-up.

I just don't see the value of a pick that mayormaynot work out being as great as the value of a back who you know is going to work out, particularly when you intend to make a run at the big prize. The upside is minimal while the downside could be crushing.

Cya

173004[/snapback]

Simon, after the "betting" disaster yesterday, I think an internet wager is a bad idea, so let me just say that as a Bills fan, I have never been as certain of a personnel move as I am with this one, SO.....here is my open declaration:

If Travis Henry is on the Buffalo Bills roster to start the 05 season, I will buy you the beer of your choice, and publically proclaim on TSW that I know nothing about football.

If he is not, you owe me absolutely nothing. OK? :blink:

The choice will be a banged up, limited player vs. approx. 1 mil cap space and perhaps a draft choice.

That sir, represents NO choice (in my respectful opinion).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, I agree that he was just awful this year. I know he blew a pair of calls in a new offense(one of them a difficult trickplay) but my biggest problem with him was his regression in blitz pick-up. If he can put back on some of the weight he took off, I think it would go a long ways towards solving that problem. And if he "can" solve that problem, I have no problem with him serving as Willis' experienced back-up for next year.

Could you stomach him in that role or do you just want him out of here post haste?

Cya

P.S.

I will buy you the beer of your choice, and publically proclaim on TSW that I know nothing about football.

I'm always up for free beer, but I don't want to hear none of them lies goin' with it :blink:

Bill, I agree that he was just awful this year. I know he blew a pair of calls in a new offense(one of them a difficult trickplay) but my biggest problem with him was his regression in blitz pick-up. If he can put back on some of the weight he took off, I think it would go a long ways towards solving that problem. And if he "can" solve that problem, I have no problem with him serving as Willis' experienced back-up for next year.

Could you stomach him in that role or do you just want him out of here post haste?

Cya

173035[/snapback]

My friend, I want to be delicate here because I was rightly accused of being too harsh and even personal with my comments on Travis.....

I dont think the weight is the issue wrt his lack of blocking. Thurman weighed at least 20 pounds less and could stand guys up as a pass blocker. Again, imo, Henry either doesn't want to block, or he cannot figure out how nor who to block. Perhaps a combination of both but neither of these possibilities are good for the Bills.

Although I still like Drew as a QB, I cannot admit fast enough that he has more needs than other qbs. He needs a burner at wr. This is proven. He needs a good pocket. This is proven. The games starting with Ariz. has imo also proved that he needs a back who can pick up the blitz. Teams come after him. If he is protected, he CAN throw bombs to Evans, etc.

I would rather see if a 5th or so could be salvaged. Maybe TD could use it to scoot around the draft and find a RB that he covets....one who is more suited to this football team.

Just my $.02, and thanks for the great conversation. :blink:

Simon, after the "betting" disaster yesterday, I think an internet wager is a bad idea, so let me just say that as a Bills fan, I have never been as certain of a personnel move as I am with this one, SO.....here is my open declaration:

If Travis Henry is on the Buffalo Bills roster to start the 05 season, I will buy you the beer of your choice, and publically proclaim on TSW that I know nothing about football.

If he is not, you owe me absolutely nothing. OK?  :blink:

The choice will be a banged up, limited player vs. approx. 1 mil cap space and perhaps a draft choice.

That sir, represents NO choice (in my respectful opinion).

173030[/snapback]

There's hardly any "disaster", what there is is an attempt by a Troll to take advantage of the August data situation by lying about some bet he offered that was never accepted and another Troll to follow his lead. I have no problem with any other poster who feels they would stand by while a Pat's Troll lies about the record and adds in the garbage about "leaving the poor Children's Charity" unfounded, but that's hardly something this poster will sit back and allow. You might not like it, but let me remind you that YOU'RE not the one they've spread the lies about. I've asked that the record be reviewed. I trust it's being taken care of.

There's hardly any "disaster", what there is is an attempt by a Troll to take advantage of the August data situation by lying about some bet he offered that was never accepted and another Troll to follow his lead. I have no problem with any other poster who feels they would stand by while a Pat's Troll lies about the record and adds in the garbage about "leaving the poor Children's Charity" unfounded, but that's hardly something this poster will sit back and allow. You might not like it, but let me remind you that YOU'RE not the one they've spread the lies about. I've asked that the record be reviewed. I trust it's being taken care of.

173049[/snapback]

AKC, certainly you do not think that I was attacking you, nor taking the side of these people against you, right? You and I go back many years, and I think as much of your posts as anybody on the board.

I merely though that making a "bet" today would be a bad idea after yesterday.

This aside, I am sorry that my post was such that it lent itself to be misinterpreted.

My mistake.

AKC, certainly you do not think that I was attacking you, nor taking the side of these people against you, right? You and I go back many years, and I think as much of your posts as anybody on the board.

I merely though that making a "bet" today would be a bad idea after yesterday.

This aside, I am sorry that my post was such that it lent itself to be misinterpreted.

My mistake.

173055[/snapback]

Please excuse my misread. I'd hate to see some of the great bets that we'd had over time lost because of opportunistic Trolls. The forum lends itself to that type of interaction between Bill's fans and our guests here from other teams when both parties are contributive. I can appreciate your issue with the timing.

Please excuse my misread. I'd hate to see some of the great bets that we'd had over time lost because of opportunistic Trolls. The forum lends itself to that type of interaction between Bill's fans and our guests here from other teams when both parties are contributive. I can appreciate your issue with the timing.

173064[/snapback]

Never mind Bro. I would however like to see you chime in on this thread. Do you think that Henry will be here in 05 under any conditions?

Henry will get the Bills at least a 2nd rounder, possibly even a conditional 1st depending on how he does next year. With the Colts looking to franchise Edge and RW not coming back, the only other top RB is Alexander. There is a big market for good RB's this coming year, and Henry will be in-demand because of his productivity, age, and salary. Anything lower and he's not going anywhere.

Henry will get the Bills at least a 2nd rounder, possibly even a conditional 1st depending on how he does next year.  With the Colts looking to franchise Edge and RW not coming back, the only other top RB is Alexander.  There is a big market for good RB's this coming year, and Henry will be in-demand because of his productivity, age, and salary.  Anything lower and he's not going anywhere.

173072[/snapback]

I think that next year wont matter in terms of trade value because his contract expires after 05.

If this is true, does it change your mind about his value after this season?

My friend, I want to be delicate here because I was rightly accused of being too harsh and even personal with my comments on Travis.....

I dont think the weight is the issue wrt his lack of blocking. Thurman weighed at least 20 pounds less and could stand guys up as a pass blocker. Again, imo, Henry either doesn't want to block, or he cannot figure out how nor who to block. Perhaps a combination of both but neither of these possibilities are good for the Bills.

Although I still like Drew as a QB, I cannot admit fast enough that he has more needs than other qbs. He needs a burner at wr. This is proven. He needs a good pocket. This is proven. The games starting with Ariz. has imo also proved that he needs a back who can pick up the blitz. Teams come after him. If he is protected, he CAN throw bombs to Evans, etc.

I would rather see if a 5th or so could be salvaged. Maybe TD could use it to scoot around the draft and find a RB that he covets....one who is more suited to this football team.

Just my $.02, and thanks for the great conversation.  :blink:

173047[/snapback]

Bill, when you put things this "new" way re: Travis it's much easier to understand your points. As much as I like the guy I really can't disagree with much that you say about him. I did feel (or see) that at times he made devastating blocks against blitzers but it was very much a hit or miss situation. I still think that if there is a chance of him staying in line from a team aspect, that we would benefit from keeping him around as Willis's backup.

I think that next year wont matter in terms of trade value because his contract expires after 05.

If this is true, does it change your mind about his value after this season?

Nope. Him being under contract for next year works in the Bills' favor, since the interested team will know that the Bills don't NEED to trade him. And Henry will get a new deal from a new team in any case, so that doesn't make a difference.

173064[/snapback]

AKC, not that you needed it, but I'm glad to have seen that some other posters finally came to your defense yesterday. Hopefully that fiasco is behind us now.

will have something to prove come next season, so the team that gets him if he's traded will be getting a beast of a running back with a chip on his shoulder..all the more reason to settle for nothing less then a first for him..

172795[/snapback]

TH came into this season with a chip on the shoulder when he was told he

will be competing with WM for the RB spot. What did that do to him. The

guy tanked it.

I am a big TH fan, but teams and GMs know what he can do and what he

cannot and therein lies the bargaining power. The bargaining chip that

TD has is that he does not have to trade or cut TH, since he is under

contract for a year more. My feeling is they meet somewhere in

between and trade for a conditional pick (like a 3rd round turning into

a 1st rounder based on TH's performance) which would be a fair trade

to both teams.

Bill, when you put things this "new" way re: Travis it's much easier to understand your points. As much as I like the guy I really can't disagree with much that you say about him. I did feel (or see) that at times he made devastating blocks against blitzers but it was very much a hit or miss situation. I still think that if there is a chance of him staying in line from a team aspect, that we would benefit from keeping him around as Willis's backup.

173098[/snapback]

Lori is a friend for several years. I met her through tailgating in Lot 1/Pole 5. She told me that at times, I sound quite "brusque" on TBD" There is no reason to doubt someone this intelligent.

I have a feeling that you and I would understand each other better in person. If nothing else, I am down to earth.

Yes, I too have seen some smashing blocks, but he misses more often than not and as I said, Bledsoe too has his limitations. The Bills offense does not lend itself to pass rushers speeding unobstructed toward our QB, who is not mobile.

Never mind Bro. I would however like to see you chime in on this thread. Do you think that Henry will be here in 05 under any conditions?

173070[/snapback]

I'm thinking we get even money on him. There's not too many good fits for his skills- possibly the Fish, but we don't know before their coaching change. Denny Green possibly in Arizona. The Bears if they're idiots and are blaming their RBs (and they appear to be quite daft). Tice losing his job might create a look, but not at this time. His big liability with the handle seems to me to eliminate the other teams that aren't looking for a guy who can catch over his shoulder. That's too small of a pool for his skills to translate into a #1 AFAIC. At the same time a #2 opens up some of the teams who might be looking to challenge or possibly replace the salary cap #1 they're already carrying, and in that market he might have 10 or 11 options.

I like Henry, but he definitely lacks 1st round value and he's definitely not a top 10 back. McGahee isn't even top 10 right now. Holmes, Tomlinson, Lewis, Green, Martin, Taylor, Portis, McAllister, James, Alexander are your top 10 and there are others you could put ahead of Henry.

It's not a knock on Henry, but the league is stacked with good RB's right now. There just aren't any good teams who are a decent RB away from contending for anything; largely because most teams already have a decent RB on the same level as Henry.

AKC, not that you needed it, but I'm glad to have seen that some other posters finally came to your defense yesterday. Hopefully that fiasco is behind us now.

173107[/snapback]

Thanks- I didn't "recruit" any support because it's my name, my reputation under attack, and I'm on the right side of it. But your involvement earned my great appreciation.

Lori is a friend for several years. I met her through tailgating in Lot 1/Pole 5. She told me that at times, I sound quite "brusque" on TBD" There is no reason to doubt someone this intelligent.

I have a feeling that you and I would understand each other better in person. If nothing else, I am down to earth.

Yes, I too have seen some smashing blocks, but he misses more often than not and as I said, Bledsoe too has his limitations. The Bills offense does not lend itself to pass rushers speeding unobstructed toward our QB, who is not mobile.

173121[/snapback]

Are you coming to the Pitt game? I'm pretty sure we're coming up early and will be in Lot 1...