Brad Smith

No, I am not wrong, he was brought in to be a Kick returner and the 3rd string Wild Cat QB. Weither its a gimmick or not, its what they paid him to come here and do

Fine, so they paid $15MM for a special teams guy and 3d string QB because he had a couple kick return TDs last year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith didn't look good, and may very well have cost us TDs. Others who didn't look good and may have cost us TDs either with poor planning, bad play or having zero impact:

•  
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Chan Gailey
  • George Edwards
  • Wanstache
  • Eric Levitre
  • Marcell Dareous
  • The entire D line.
  • Nick Barnett
  • Linebackers.
  • Defensive backs.
  • Stevie Johnson.
  • Martin Ruvell
  • David Nelson
  • CJ Spiller (did he just stop in front of the goalline?)
  • Brian Moorman

Only guys who looked good was Chandler and Lindell's replacement. And, I guess, props to whoever got the safety.

Epic collapse, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Fine, so they paid $15MM for a special teams guy and 3d string QB because he had a couple kick return TDs last year.

Thats all I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to say it was worth the investment, especially since they have abandoned the idea of using the Wild cat much in games and use Smith as a WR

Brad Smith didn't look good, and may very well have cost us TDs. Others who didn't look good and may have cost us TDs either with poor planning, bad play or having zero impact:

•  
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Chan Gailey
  • George Edwards
  • Wanstache
  • Eric Levitre
  • Marcell Dareous
  • The entire D line.
  • Nick Barnett
  • Linebackers.
  • Defensive backs.
  • Stevie Johnson.
  • Martin Ruvell
  • David Nelson
  • CJ Spiller (did he just stop in front of the goalline?)
  • Brian Moorman

Only guys who looked good was Chandler and Lindell's replacement. And, I guess, props to whoever got the safety.

Epic collapse, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I wouldn't include him on the list, it wasn't his fault that the punt was blocked

Thanks. I've seen the play and you're wrong.

Wow, arrogant much? <_<

Instead of people posting their impressions on the discussion board, why don't you just post a few topics a day and tell everyone everything they need to know about the team. We can save a lot of time and effort that way, all knowing swami that you are. :rolleyes:

He was a better returner for the Jets last season because he had a bit more time to field the ball and run, now thats being elimenated with the closer kicks

Didn't the kickoff rule change get adopted prior to F/A starting? The deep thinkers at OBD didn't have the foresight to realize that the number of kicks going to be returned was going to drop dramatically, making Smith's value plummet?

By my count, Brad Smith cost us two TD's today: (a) dropped pass off his hands/pick; and (b) blown assignment on punt block.

On the punt, I'm not 100% sure; but looking at the replay, it sure looked like it was Smith's fault...

And just think he's got almost $15 million reason's to be better but he isn't !!! :oops:

He has definitely not played up to the contract he was given , that's why i believe that ALL contracts (unless your a Brady or Rogers) should be incentive based contracts so if you don't live up to expectations you only get paid for your production !!

Sounds good to me !!! :w00t: :w00t:

Yesterday was just the most clear indication of what a wasted signing this was.

- Consistently slow and lethargic on kickoff returns.

- Boneheaded fielding of the kickoff with one foot out of bounds last week.

- Blown tipped ball and missed block on the punt block yesterday.

I liked Aaron Maybin as a Bill more than I like Brad Smith. Can I be any clearer on this matter?

Thats all I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to say it was worth the investment, especially since they have abandoned the idea of using the Wild cat much in games and use Smith as a WR

I wouldn't include him on the list, it wasn't his fault that the punt was blocked

Point taken.

Pretty sad when we're debating whether the punter did well.

We will add Moorman to the list of four Bills who didn't have an epically pitiful game.

WTF happened to our team?

By my count, Brad Smith cost us two TD's today: (a) dropped pass off his hands/pick; and (b) blown assignment on punt block.

On the punt, I'm not 100% sure; but looking at the replay, it sure looked like it was Smith's fault...

Yep Brad Smith sucks. If he weren't on the field the Bills would have lost 24-8. Is that acceptable? :wallbash: Posts like yours are just *$&%* STUPID. It's all Brad Smith's fault. Next week it will be all Spiller's fault.

Yep Brad Smith sucks. If he weren't on the field the Bills would have lost 24-8. Is that acceptable? :wallbash: Posts like yours are just *$&%* STUPID. It's all Brad Smith's fault. Next week it will be all Spiller's fault.

I won't call it stupid, just misguided anger. This whole team has looked lost. Not just Brad Smith. I'm shocked at the bashing of Smith when it's clearly not him who's the problem.

I've been saying it since the last Jet game, that this is a coaching issue. I watched Gailey's press conference last week and he said that they weren't going to change a thing because the problems of this team were all a matter of execution. How would you feel as a player if he said that? I'd feel that the coach was letting them all out to dry. The defenses knew where the receivers and Jackson were going to be. That's why they were getting blown to pieces.

These guys are NFL players, they want to fight, but to the death? Um, no. They aren't going to be that dedicated.

Smith needs to be starting at the #2 receiver this week and be the guy to go deep. He absolutely burned a Dolphin last week on a go pattern (Fitzpatrick didn't look his way) and he can do the same this week against his old team mates. Let's see what he can do at the #2 spot. He also needs to be used as an option QB with Spiller on a few possessions.

Brad Smith is not the problem, Gailey and Edwards are the problem. However, it sounds like Gailey has had a change of heart and will implement a different gameplan this week after watching his team get killed in Miami. Better late than never "Mr. Megamind".

I don't smith wants to be here. His heart is still with the jets. And we havent found a way to use him. After the seasons over I could see bills and jets working out a trade to send him back. I know its a bit unusual for teams on same division to help each other but in this I can see it making sense.

Excellent post. I want to see more people respond to his. I think Nix and Gailey are the best GM and coach combination that the Bills have had in over a decade, but I question some of their decisions. The vanilla defense and the long passes on third down are two things that many people have been writing about on this board since last week. The lack of touches for Smith and Spiller when the game plan wasn't working is another question people have been asking. Based on very little data, it seems as though Roosevelt has better hands than Smith. He's been active for two games and I think the only time he got the ball was on that pass deflection that came his way. Fred has had a great season so far, they could have used him more to grind out the yardage and use up the clock, but they went to long passes instead. If anyone actually remembers the original "circle the wagons" comeback game, the reasons the Bills were able to come back is because the Oilers kept throwing the ball and the incomplete passes gave the Bills time to come back. History repeats itself.

That's not saying much. Outside of Barnett, most of Nix's FA signings have been disastrous. How about that 2010 draft? Nix was a ridiculously bad hire and his first two years have proven that.

I like Gailey but he has me scratching my head lately. The inability to adjust to defenses that have obviously adjusted to what the Bills are doing is mind boggling. I'm holding out hope for him but I don't see this team being much more than a .500 team next year and in the 3rd year that is simply not good enough. :bag:

Not only is he unused and useless, he gifted the Dolphins 7 points. Who decided to go after this guy hard as a UFA anyway? :thumbdown:

He's another example of an uneeded worthless pickup by the front office. Their O-line has been as thin as an eggshell for the past decade. They let Geoff Hangartner go and sign a worthless player they don't need. Everyone in front office of this organization sits on their brain.

Edited by Azucho98

Brad Smith on the Bills is like having a big screen HDTV in every room with the roof leaking and the foundation cracked.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

More like a big screen TV with rabbit ears instead of an HD cable, but I agree with your point.

The guy is a wildcat QB who we are sending over the middle on crossing routes. Of course he looks bad. Those are the only looks he is getting on offense.

I don't believe anybody mentioned this yet, but the blocked punt was 100% HIS FAULT. Look at the replay - he is the backup behind the right guard. He doesn't look at the rush and shifts to the middle and starts running down the field as the Dolphins rusher runs right through the spot he just left to block the punt.

but then again why is a wildcat QB BLOCKING for a punt

No, you just perpetuated the myth. Smith averages less than 1.5 carries per game in his career for a reason. The 'wildcat' is nothing more than an occasional gimmick for desperate teams (or a frequent gimmick if you are Denver).

The big myth is that the Bills ever ran the wildcat.

the only thing they have done with Smith is direct snap it to him and have him improvise.

The WildCat is an actual offense with mis-direction and options to each play,

The Bills use no mis-direction, hand-offs or passes out of the direct snap plays

Whatever the Bills are doing, it is not the WildCat.