Fitz's Inaccuracy A Problem Going Forward?

This is the most insightful post of the year. Fitz is highly inaccurate at times, but it wouldn't look as bad if the Bills' WRs caught ANYTHING for the first two quarters. It's absolutely ridiculous how many passes are dropped in the first half.

The Goon Squad has been a nice little narrative. Bunch of Lost Boys out there having fun and playing ball. But the lack of an elite pass catcher (see: AJ Green) that can go up and make grabs on the sideline is proving to be their/our Achilles heel. Cincy seemed content to surrender this play and we simply couldn't capitalize. Especially in the first half.

Also, I keep hearing how our "defense got torched," I'm looking forward to going back and re-watching this game, because my recollection is that the Bengals (like Oakland) moved the ball in huge chunks thanks in large part to ridiculous, acrobatic catches.

The one pass/catch to the endzone yesterday was a thing of beauty. Ridiculous throw (for a rookie, for a vet, all-pro, doesn't matter, it was an insanely good throw, placed to where only the receiver could get it), and it was hauled in with one hand, with toes tapping down. I'm curious as to which defense is designed to stop this play...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is definitely not a franchise QB. The suggestion is absurd. He did not play three very good games. He played three very good half games. He has started slow in all four games (and never got it in gear yesterday). D was not good, but they were on the field way more than they should have been because Fitz could not sustain possessions. He is a great guy, and a very good backup QB.

That's not what the numbers say in his last 16 starts... the 49ers have ridden Alex Smith, the Cowboys Tony Romo, and STILL Fitzpatrick outperforms them all despite the dearth of offensive talent. Your conclusion is not based in fact.

Edited by BmoreBills

That's not what the numbers say in his last 16 starts... the 49ers have ridden Alex Smith, the Cowboys Tony Romo, and STILL Fitzpatrick outperforms them all despite the dearth of offensive talent. Your conclusion is not based in fact.

Generally speaking, the term "franchise quarterback" makes my head explode. They're in such short supply--now, and throughout the history of the game--that to say it's a necessity for victory is utterly false, rendering the entire concept borderline mythical.

Generally speaking, the term "franchise quarterback" makes my head explode. They're in such short supply--now, and throughout the history of the game--that to say it's a necessity for victory is utterly false, rendering the entire concept borderline mythical.

I will concede that, but to call Fitz only a backup QB is to ignore what he has done with the talent level we have in Buffalo right now. He is a bona fide starter- it amazes me how Bills fans have forgotten how bad our QBs have been, and when we get one that shines he's somehow not a legit starter.

Didn't say he was the worst QB in the league either. Hes pretty good. Main problem - in terms of accuracy he is the model of inconsistency. The Bills FO know it. They would have rolled the dice on Cam had he been there at #3 (and would have won) and they would likely have taken Gabbert had Dareus not been there. IMO Fitz will not be getting the long term dream "franchise QB" contract this year some think he deserves. He may still sign with the Bills, because he would still have a good pay raise and a starting job and because he won't be getting that contract anywhere else.

I will concede that, but to call Fitz only a backup QB is to ignore what he has done with the talent level we have in Buffalo right now. He is a bona fide starter- it amazes me how Bills fans have forgotten how bad our QBs have been, and when we get one that shines he's somehow not a legit starter.

You are absolutely correct. As if there's nothing between Curtis Painter and Aaron Rodgers. You're either the laughing stock, or a future Hall of Famer. When it comes to football, politics, any topic really, the lunatic fringe tends to whiff at the concept of "gray area."

Didn't say he was the worst QB in the league either. Hes pretty good. Main problem - in terms of accuracy he is the model of inconsistency. The Bills FO know it. They would have rolled the dice on Cam had he been there at #3 (and would have won) and they would likely have taken Gabbert had Dareus not been there. IMO Fitz will not be getting the long term dream "franchise QB" contract this year some think he deserves. He may still sign with the Bills, because he would still have a good pay raise and a starting job and because he won't be getting that contract anywhere else.

Had the hype, had the numbers, magic and thrilling play of the first three weeks been sustained for an entire season, Fitz WOULD BE a Franchise Quarterback...and then reality struck.

I, for one, thought that last week's publicity was overkill to the max. BUT! Had Fitz sustained that level of play/exposure then he would have been a...Franchise Quarterback, and would have deserved to be paid accordingly.

Alas, he is NOT a "Franchise Quarterback." And I'm fine with that. I'd venture to say 27 other NFL teams don't have one either. He is, however, a DAMN good starter, and does deserve a pay raise. Just not f-you money.

If he was right on then there would be no question whether or not if he is a franchise QB. They and we knew his abilities prior to the season starting. He is smart and can be good at time but also can be bad. The Bills got beat down. The offense went up against a good defense this week. The last three weeks those defenses were nothing. Once the Bengals stopped the Bills on offense, they Bills defense again, just like every week, is giving up huge plays. Welker had 200+ yards receiving last week. The run stop has been good, but the passes are killing the defense. Dalton was just throwing it up to his receivers and they were going up and catching them. McKelvin looked lost against Green and no one could tackle. The defense backs are a mess. I like Wilson, Scott, McKelvin and Florence but they are getting burned week in and week out. The Philly game may be ugly.

Edited by Kachy

Fitz didn't have a good game yesterday. Yet, we used to have Losman who would throw for under 100 yards in some games. Then there was Edwards, who was afraid to throw down field. Fitz had a bad game completing nearly 60% of his passes, basically 200 yards, and 0 turnovers. Fitz has set his standard much higher and it's a good thing.

Fitz was off Sunday, but his WRs didn't help him much. Brad Smith dropped what should have been a big gainer but was instead a drive killer. Donald Jones continues to show he can't make the tough catches. There was one long one in the first half that was thrown where only he could get it, but he didn't. It was a team loss.

Fitz was off Sunday, but his WRs didn't help him much. Brad Smith dropped what should have been a big gainer but was instead a drive killer. Donald Jones continues to show he can't make the tough catches. There was one long one in the first half that was thrown where only he could get it, but he didn't. It was a team loss.

You want your receivers to make those plays and Fitz gives his guys a chance, but they were 50-50 balls. Both were tough catches, though Calvin Johnson would have gotten them. Alas, DJ and Smith are not Megatron.

Charley Casserly stated he thinks Fitz is better then Kevin Kolb who just signed an 11 mill a year, 20 mill guaranteed contract in Arizona.

Anyway, the Bills encountered the #3 defense in the NFL and it showed. The Bills offense only scored 13 points this game and their inability to make a big play or even run the ball when needed is the real reason they lost this game. Plus, the Bills went mostly defense in the last two drafts. Why is it they still can't stop the run?

Tom Brady threw 4 picks in Buffalo last week, did all the Pats fans suddenly declare Brady inaccurate?

Fitz has been "off" in every game this year. He has also been "on" in three of them. Thats the point. He is extremely inconsistent, sort of hot and cold in the same game, and he appears besides to be very slow off the mark. There have been a few drops, but receivers (like D. Jones BTW) have also been victimized by terrible throws, some of them not of a high degree of difficulty as types go. To say that JP and Trent were aweful hardly addresses the point.

You are absolutely correct. As if there's nothing between Curtis Painter and Aaron Rodgers. You're either the laughing stock, or a future Hall of Famer. When it comes to football, politics, any topic really, the lunatic fringe tends to whiff at the concept of "gray area."

Had the hype, had the numbers, magic and thrilling play of the first three weeks been sustained for an entire season, Fitz WOULD BE a Franchise Quarterback...and then reality struck.

I, for one, thought that last week's publicity was overkill to the max. BUT! Had Fitz sustained that level of play/exposure then he would have been a...Franchise Quarterback, and would have deserved to be paid accordingly.

Alas, he is NOT a "Franchise Quarterback." And I'm fine with that. I'd venture to say 27 other NFL teams don't have one either. He is, however, a DAMN good starter, and does deserve a pay raise. Just not f-you money.

thing is--we better sign him for 'decent' money-and not wait forever....because some team-say a team that pays POZ $15 mil up front--will pay him a ridiculous sum. and of course we want and need Fitzy as our QB.

thing is--we better sign him for 'decent' money-and not wait forever....because some team-say a team that pays POZ $15 mil up front--will pay him a ridiculous sum. and of course we want and need Fitzy as our QB.

I don't believe Poz ever fell under the heading of "damn good starter."

I hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree. I just don't find the two situations analogous.

Our vulnerabilities were exploited yesterday. O line crumbling, our secondary missing or just not making a play on the ball (mcKelvin). When the game plan they set out didnt work, they seem to just stuck with it instead of doing more screens and 5 yard slants. I dont feel they played the way they are accustomed to play like going for the long ball.

You are evaluating him based on ONE road game against a top 5 defense of a team that we only lost to by 3?

If this is your proof, then you had better not choose science or criminal justice as a career field because your methodology sucks.

Please take the time to read what I said. I said we need a full season to evaluate him, not base it on a couple of games or rush to judgement. Time will tell just how effective and valuable he can be to this team. You either did not read, or comprehend what I wrote.

I disagree, if the Bills decide not to re-sign Fitz even to trade him later, he will not have a problem getting onto another team. Now getting the starting job anywhere else will depend on that teams draft picks and who they have on the roster currently. Id take him over Kolb, who hasnt proved anything even in Philly. Id say he is an upgrade from Alex Smith, Chad Henne, Mark Sanchez, even Tony Romo currently. But he is inconsistant with his accuracy I agree with that.

Man, his passes were off today. I thought he might have got over that hump. Even on his good days though there is some really bad passes. I'm afraid our times up and soon a lot of those passes will be costly interceptions.

That's Fitz in a nutshell. He'll light it up for a few games and then infuriate us all the next. It doesn't help that none of our receivers can outrun defenders, either. None of them are burners.

Charley Casserly stated he thinks Fitz is better then Kevin Kolb who just signed an 11 mill a year, 20 mill guaranteed contract in Arizona.

Anyway, the Bills encountered the #3 defense in the NFL and it showed. The Bills offense only scored 13 points this game and their inability to make a big play or even run the ball when needed is the real reason they lost this game. Plus, the Bills went mostly defense in the last two drafts. Why is it they still can't stop the run?

Tom Brady threw 4 picks in Buffalo last week, did all the Pats fans suddenly declare Brady inaccurate?

Good post. They did OK with the run compared to last year. I think the worry is the pass defense. They are getting killed in the secondary. Gailey needs to yell at LM.

Man, his passes were off today. I thought he might have got over that hump. Even on his good days though there is some really bad passes. I'm afraid our times up and soon a lot of those passes will be costly interceptions.

Must be time for some of you to go into a severe panic attack?