Asked Mort a Question about Bills

Ed (PA.)

Hello Mort. C'mon Mort give us your feelings towards the New Bills.Thanks Ed

Chris Mortensen

(11:30 AM)

Ed. they're fun to watch and easy to root for. The "reject" team - few people gave Chan Gailey any respect when he has one of the most impressive coaching resumes in the NFL. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson, 7th rounders. Fred Jackson, undrafted. Bunch of guys like that. The problem is sustainability and franchise stability. It's something the late great GM John Butler worried about and expressed to me when he left for San Diego. Will the Bills do what's necessary to keep the core players as they build going forward? And don't panic if things hit a few bumps. In the meantime, enjoy the moment. Lot of people around the league are rooting for them and the Lions.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/40443/

Ed (PA.)

Chris Mortensen

Ed. they're fun to watch and easy to root for. The "reject" team - few people gave Chan Gailey any respect when he has one of the most impressive coaching resumes in the NFL. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson, 7th rounders. Fred Jackson, undrafted. Bunch of guys like that. The problem is sustainability and franchise stability. It's something the late great GM John Butler worried about and expressed to me when he left for San Diego. Will the Bills do what's necessary to keep the core players as they build going forward? And don't panic if things hit a few bumps. In the meantime, enjoy the moment. Lot of people around the league are rooting for them and the Lions.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/40443/Thanks Albany. I`m home sick today.

A Bills vs. Lions Super Bowl... :)

We can only hope, as a Bills fan and as a fan of the NFL. Getting pretty tired of seeing the same teams over and over again.

And before anybody responds, I do understand why we see the same teams again and again.

A little more pass rush .Watch-out. Only thing we are still missing.Superbowl

Why oh why did we not just draft Orakpo instead of Maybin??? Our pass rush would be better obviously. Before anyone gets made at me I know hindsight is easy but I find myself having difficulty letting this one go, especially considering how well we are doing right now.

I think most people would agree with this: we could have put in the names of all the players eligible to be drafted that year in a big hat and just drawn a random one and it would have been a better pick than Maybin. Good god this pick still stings me

Ed (PA.)

Chris Mortensen

http://espn.go.com/s...hat/_/id/40443/

Stability - yeah I can see it. Old owner, don't know when he'll pass, what happens to the franchise after that, etc ...

Sustainability? Seriously? Yeah, it's pretty freaking hard to sustain anything when a team gets mired in salary cap hell.

Can't really do much when 30% of the salary cap is dead cap space.

If Butler had one serious flaw it was player value. The guy had no concept.

Stability - yeah I can see it. Old owner, don't know when he'll pass, what happens to the franchise after that, etc ...

Sustainability? Seriously? Yeah, it's pretty freaking hard to sustain anything when a team gets mired in salary cap hell.

THAT being said. WE .need to sign Fitz ,Stevie and Fred. What are they doing but giving them bad feeling toward the front office. C`mon sign them and quit with the games.

THAT being said. WE .need to sign Fitz ,Stevie and Fred. What are they doing but giving them bad feeling toward the front office. C`mon sign them and quit with the games.

IMHO, they will be signed. Right now, season is in full swing, and I think both sides are trying to feel the other side out.

Why oh why did we not just draft Orakpo instead of Maybin??? Our pass rush would be better obviously. Before anyone gets made at me I know hindsight is easy but I find myself having difficulty letting this one go, especially considering how well we are doing right now.

I think most people would agree with this: we could have put in the names of all the players eligible to be drafted that year in a big hat and just drawn a random one and it would have been a better pick than Maybin. Good god this pick still stings me

Its doubtful we would have Dareus now if we had not taken Maybin and Spiller and a host of other 1st round rejects.

Butler held together some semblance of what Polian had created and kept the team in the playoffs, but it definitely came at a price. It seemed like pretty suspect timing when half the front office left for SD right before things went off the cliff. The 2001 season had to be tanked to recover from it. We had guys like Raion Hill and Brandon Spoon starting on that defense.

Ed (PA.)

Chris Mortensen

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/40443/

So Mort is questioning sustainability (ridiculous IMO) and stability from someone who left over 10 years ago?

Ask him how much Tom Donahoe is responsible for the Bills current success?

PTR

Yeah, Mort can't avoid making the not terribly veiled crack at Ralph, but note that he uses Butler as his source, when what really chaps his nethers is that Ralph fired his friend Tommy D. As if firing Donohoe were some sort of spur-of-the-moment decision, and Donohoe had not proven himself to be failing and flailing.... sigh.

But he does give props to the present, and that is nice. Enjoy the moment and hope for the best. Sadness is inevitable, but not yet, not yet.....

So Mort is questioning sustainability (ridiculous IMO) and stability from someone who left over 10 years ago?

Not only that, wasn't it his old buddy Donahoe who wrecked all the sustainability and stability that Butler left behind?

Yeah, Mort can't avoid making the not terribly veiled crack at Ralph, but note that he uses Butler as his source, when what really chaps his nethers is that Ralph fired his friend Tommy D. As if firing Donohoe were some sort of spur-of-the-moment decision, and Donohoe had not proven himself to be failing and flailing.... sigh.

But he does give props to the present, and that is nice. Enjoy the moment and hope for the best. Sadness is inevitable, but not yet, not yet.....

The sad part is, he asks the question if Buffalo will do what's necessary to keep the core players, but fails to address the very recent re-signing of Kyle Williams. That's talking out of both sides of your mouth, Mort. His comments are very transparent.

The sad part is, he asks the question if Buffalo will do what's necessary to keep the core players, but fails to address the very recent re-signing of Kyle Williams. That's talking out of both sides of your mouth, Mort. His comments are very transparent.

Yeah, but the real re-signings and real money is coming up next with Fitz, Johnson, etc. Guys at skill positions. We'll see.