What's the Difference between 2008 and 2011?

Sniper

Come on guys. This thread is 2 full pages long and nobody has mentioned that:

A) All 3 wins are against AFC teams. (2008: Seattle)

B) 2 of the 3 wins are against sure playoff contenders (2008: Jax,Oak,Sea out by December)

C) Obviously and most importantly, 1 of the wins is against an AFC East opponent. (2008: 0-6 vs AFC East)

To put next weeks 2008-2011-difference-thread to sleep early: if Buffalo finds a way to win this Sunday, they will hold 4 wins vs AFC opponents, which could go a very long way if this team ends up in the 8 to 9 win range at the end of December.

Edited by West End Stench

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lyke u boi

Thanks.

People, what do your football instincts tell you? If you have watched football for years, you should have something more to offer than "oh, we'll see. I have seen other teams fall apart." That's not really an opinion.

To say "there's no way to know" NOW, after an offseason of critiquing every move by the organization sure seems like a cop out.

B) 2 of the 3 wins are against sure playoff contenders (2008: Jax,Oak,Sea out by December)

C) Obviously and most importantly, 1 of the wins is against an AFC East opponent. (2008: 0-6 vs AFC East)

To put next weeks 2008-2011-difference-thread to sleep early: if Buffalo finds a way to win this Sunday, they will hold 4 wins vs AFC opponents, which could go a very long way if this team ends up in the 8 to 9 win range at the end of December.

None of that tiebreaker stuff matters if we finish the season like we did in 2008.

2 of our first three wins that year were not only against playoff teams, but teams that won a game in the playoffs the year before. This year, we've beat two playoff teams, neither of whom won a playoff game last year.

You can't look back now and see what happened during the rest of 2008 to say how the feeling was here when we were 3-0, 4-0 and 5-1. It was just as giddy as it is now.

Speaking for myself, I was sure we'd make the playoffs then. How can you not at 5-1? But, now I'm not as sure since I now know what can happen.

I don't think ANY of these numbers are what to look at to see if they are better, or to convince me they are a better team!

It's not in the numbers, it's in watching them play.

It's clear that Fitz is a way better QB than TE is, was, or ever could have been. Even if they had LOST one of these games. I don't believe that is going to change.

I can see they are better coached, better strategically, and most importantly, INSPIRED. I don't believe that is going to change.

I'm not some polly-anna fan "yay, my Bills, I love'em" That's like my mom or grandma. "Look at'em go!" "Our boys are winners!" No. I'm watching the games and can tell that they play fearlessly on offense and put lots of pressure on defenses. This offense, unlike any Bills offense since Jim Kelly, dictates the game to the defense. I don't believe that is going to change, even when they play some of the best defenses.

I can also tell that they have improved at crucial positions on the defense. The linebackers are way better. I don't believe that is going to change.

I also believe that one new guy on the D-line (Dareus) can exponentially improve the play of the guys around him. With him paired up with K Williams, this defense made a big leap, even if the numbers might not show it. I believe after a few more weeks it will be more apparent (the teams they played had very specialized strengths that skewed the stats).

These are some of the reasons that I KNOW they are better.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

It is not clear that Fitz is a better QB than we thought Edwards was at 5-1 in '08. He, like Fitz, was on all the espn, Rome, etc. media outlets that could be, and was being talked about as a strong MVP candidate.

We know how he turned out, but if you were saying that's what was going to happen when we were 5-1, you were one of the very very few. The prevailing sentiment was that we would be 6-0 if Trent hadn't got hurt in the Cards game.

It is not clear that Fitz is a better QB than we thought Edwards was at 5-1 in '08. He, like Fitz, was on all the espn, Rome, etc. media outlets that could be, and was being talked about as a strong MVP candidate.

We know how he turned out, but if you were saying that's what was going to happen when we were 5-1, you were one of the very very few. The prevailing sentiment was that we would be 6-0 if Trent hadn't got hurt in the Cards game.

You're out of your mind. Get some help.

Fitz's season is already way beyond anything TE ever did. Have you been watching the games? He is moving the offense all over the field. No team has ever scored touchdowns on every 2nd half possession. With TE I was celebrating 1st downs! I NEVER thought he was the answer, and he NEVER was.

I'm not gonna bother arguing about TE. Again, get some help.

Not to pee in anyone's Cheerios. But!

If Fitz gets a severe concussion in game 4 or beyond, and then continues to play and suffers another or more....the same thing that happened in 08 could very well happen again.

I've been harping about the O line for 10 years, wanting to see the Bills build an O line like the Raiders or Jets now have. The Bills almost had a great line in 08 with Peters-Dockery-(Preston-Fowler) Butler-Walker. The problem was the center position that was never properly upgraded and consequently they never stabilized into a top unit.

I still don't trust half that current O line and I hope Fitz doesn't get F'd up like Edwards because of that line.

As Bills Nation bathes in the jubilation of ending the 8 year old losing streak to the Patriots, an intriguing statistic becomes relevant to Buffalo. The stat: NFL teams have a 76% to be playoff bound after going 3-0 (with significant increases with each win thereafter). With this in mind, we are both statistically in an excellent position to make the playoffs and gravely reminded that in 2008, we were a part of the 24%. Since 2008 is far too recent for any us to forget, the natural question that refuses to go away for most (non-bandwagon) fans is, what’s the difference between this 3-0 2011 team compared to our 4-0 and 5-1 2008 squad?

We have a real QB and are much bigger and stronger keeping us from getting manhandled and when we get behind allowing us to impose our will on the our opponents to take over the game.

Get a memory that lasts longer than this past weekend.

HOFer Thurman Thomas declared after that San Diego game "we have finally found the next Jim Kelly".......We all believed, except apparently for you.

Why is it that Matthews' Bag is bringing up on-field performance and you're bringing up the reactions of ex-Bills players and sports shows? (Seriously, that comment that Edwards was on Rome etc. - just like Fitz! - may be the most irrelevant point I've seen anyone make.)

Not to pee in anyone's Cheerios. But!

If Fitz gets a severe concussion in game 4 or beyond, and then continues to play and suffers another or more....the same thing that happened in 08 could very well happen again.

I've been harping about the O line for 10 years, wanting to see the Bills build an O line like the Raiders or Jets now have. The Bills almost had a great line in 08 with Peters-Dockery-(Preston-Fowler) Butler-Walker. The problem was the center position that was never properly upgraded and consequently they never stabilized into a top unit.

I still don't trust half that current O line and I hope Fitz doesn't get F'd up like Edwards because of that line.

Yeah, I think we all know that a QB can get injured and it can ruin a team's season. It really doesn't need to be discussed, it's a given. But TE was never ANYWHERE NEAR what Fitz is doing. He never threw the !@#$ing ball more than ten yards deep. A criticism of the defense I could understand, but TE is not comparable to Fitz.

If you can't see the difference in the performances of the 2 teams and the 2 QB's you're !@#$ing blind.

I'm ready to wager....

Get a memory that lasts longer than this past weekend.

HOFer Thurman Thomas declared after that San Diego game "we have finally found the next Jim Kelly".......We all believed, except apparently for you.

I searched the archives but couldn't find any posts by me, but I saw plenty criticizing the rinky dink passing game of TE.

Been watching for 31 years. This team reminds me way more of 1988 than 2008.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Until we finish with a better record, I will operate under the assumption that there is no difference. :)

3-0 doesn't mean anything, lets win more games before we celebrate!

That's a cop out. And not even clever, so you don't need that smug emoticon.

How about a wager then?

Apply your football knowledge and decide if it's worthwhile. Again, anyone can say, "we'll see". I'm claiming that my football insight tells me they are better, and I'm confident they will prove it.

I'm not celebrating anything.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

As Bills Nation bathes in the jubilation of ending the 8 year old losing streak to the Patriots, an intriguing statistic becomes relevant to Buffalo. The stat: NFL teams have a 76% to be playoff bound after going 3-0 (with significant increases with each win thereafter). With this in mind, we are both statistically in an excellent position to make the playoffs and gravely reminded that in 2008, we were a part of the 24%. Since 2008 is far too recent for any us to forget, the natural question that refuses to go away for most (non-bandwagon) fans is, what’s the difference between this 3-0 2011 team compared to our 4-0 and 5-1 2008 squad?

Fitz hasn't been knocked out yet? That's the difference for me. That 08 team was pretty good until the injuries hit and TE got blasted by Adrian Wilson. We all had TE in the pro bowl.

Seattle was the defending NFC West Champ in 2008. Who was to know when we were 4-0 and 5-1 that the teams we played would go 16-48 that year.

I hope this year is different, but everybody I know, including me, was just as pumped in 2008. It's hard for me to believe that all these posters on this thread were not as well.

Really? I recall not being super excited or hopeful back then. I felt like I just flipped a quarter 3 times and each time it came up heads. Random luck, nothing more. We looked like a .500 team getting some breaks.

The current team does have a different feel. There's a lot more heart, a lot more drive to win. I just wish (1) we don't suffer any catastrophic injuries and (2) the defense comes together and starts keeping the yardage/point totals down. Even with those concerns, this is the most hopeful I've been in a loooong time.

Really? I recall not being super excited or hopeful back then. I felt like I just flipped a quarter 3 times and each time it came up heads. Random luck, nothing more. We looked like a .500 team getting some breaks.

The current team does have a different feel. There's a lot more heart, a lot more drive to win. I just wish (1) we don't suffer any catastrophic injuries and (2) the defense comes together and starts keeping the yardage/point totals down. Even with those concerns, this is the most hopeful I've been in a loooong time.

The Bills got half a seasons worth of breaks Sunday. INT TD off Dareus' helmet? Are you kidding? You won't see that the rest of your life. Fitz drive killer stupid INT pass so badly thrown PI is called 10 yards behind the ball- in the end zone to boot. Come on. Won't see that the rest of the year in the end zone. anywhere. There's two TDs right there that never should have happened. Freddy amazingly down at the 1 so the Bills can run the clock out. I have never, ever seen that before that way. Unbelievable. I'll take it all day, but still unbelievably fortunate.

I can't stand them, but Brady, Welker and Gronk. carved the Bills up. From Scrimmage the Pats won. Bills win the turnover / breaks battle hands down and barely squeak it out. One of these weeks, the breaks/injury/turnover battle is going to go the other way and we will get pounded. Just like it did week 5 in Arizona in 2008. CAn we just sit back, let 8 games play out and see where we are then? Please?

Edited by 8and8Forever

It's Gailey and Fitz plus others but those are the big two (1)

Gailey has put points on the board everywhere he's been. This should come as no surprise to anyone. He knows how to move the ball in the NFL. You are seeing the true Pistol offense. 4 yard shotgun, quicker snap, QB eyes downfield much faster than the 7 yard snap. Too bad Parrish is gone or you'd have seen some real fireworks with the inside handoff reverses, etc. as the d line starts to defend the short pass by backing up. This is a college offense. Watch WAC football as you see all this stuff. It works IF you have a quick thinking fearless QB. and we have one.

None of that tiebreaker stuff matters if we finish the season like we did in 2008.

2 of our first three wins that year were not only against playoff teams, but teams that won a game in the playoffs the year before. This year, we've beat two playoff teams, neither of whom won a playoff game last year.

You can't look back now and see what happened during the rest of 2008 to say how the feeling was here when we were 3-0, 4-0 and 5-1. It was just as giddy as it is now.

Speaking for myself, I was sure we'd make the playoffs then. How can you not at 5-1? But, now I'm not as sure since I now know what can happen.

I think this year's team is better, but I agree with this post. We can't know anything absolutely. I think this team has played very well, shown heart, and has the potential to make the playoffs. But there are 13 games to play and injuries and luck play a large part in how that will end up.

Besides, I'm enjoying watching this develop one game at a time. No need to get ahead of ourselves. This Sunday I'm going to watch to see how the Bills deal with prosperity, with a game they are going to be favored to win against a team they have dominated for years. Will they keep the pedal to the metal, or will they make a basket of errors and fail? I THINK they will stay focused, but that's the issue we'll see decided Sunday.

That's easy...we beat the Pats. The Raiders are better than advertised too. And our offense looks legit.

2008 we squeaked our way past bad teams to go 4-0.

Oh yeah...NO DICK JAURON!!!!

I loved Gailey's decision to go for it on 4th and long against the Pats, it didn't work but it was still the right call. Jauron would have punted on 3rd down just to be safe...

Edited by Turbosrrgood