Evans Out for B'more

Chandler#81

I keep on reading how Lee Evans was a classy guy. How did that become the party line?

To me, he did not seem any better or worse than any other player for the most part. When the Losman/Edwards competition happened, he appeared to take sides on that and tried to undermine the other guy. He also appeared to want nothing to do with running any routes over the middle. When Edwards was the QB, I don't recall seeing Evans fight for any balls (in fact, quite the opposite). Finally, in the end, it has been reported rightly or wrongly that he asked to be traded.

Now, before all the people who have man crushes on Lee Evans rip me, I will admit that my impression of Lee Evan's character is based on my observations and reading between the lines etc. I have not spoken to anyone on the team directly who has said he was a prima donna etc.

Having said that - is there anyone here who has any inside information about what a classy guy he was and how he saved babies from burning buildings etc.?

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep on reading how Lee Evans was a classy guy. How did that become the party line?

To me, he did not seem any better or worse than any other player for the most part. When the Losman/Edwards competition happened, he appeared to take sides on that and tried to undermine the other guy. He also appeared to want nothing to do with running any routes over the middle. When Edwards was the QB, I don't recall seeing Evans fight for any balls (in fact, quite the opposite). Finally, in the end, it has been reported rightly or wrongly that he asked to be traded.

Now, before all the people who have man crushes on Lee Evans rip me, I will admit that my impression of Lee Evan's character is based on my observations and reading between the lines etc. I have not spoken to anyone on the team directly who has said he was a prima donna etc.

Having said that - is there anyone here who has any inside information about what a classy guy he was and how he saved babies from burning buildings etc.?

Just my two cents.

Frankly, as much as I defend that he is a good player.... I do have the same issues with him that you mention. I love how black/white the issue has become.

He has a limited skill set, but what he does well is at an elite level. He never caused trouble but didn't seem to be a totally innocent bystander in the dysfunction

It was time to move on for both sides. Things are going well here and outside this isolated injury I'm guessing they will go well in Baltimore too (there's almost no reason to suspect otherwise)

Just my two cents.

Outstanding, couldn't agree more. You have nailed many points on Evans that the less savvy posters in here always miss.

The thing about Lee Evans is that it seems difficult to gauge how valuable Lee is/was.

A year ago we would talk about how our D were round pegs filling square holes as we transitioned to the 3-4. I think Lee Evans was possibly our most un-utilized player this last decade. Lee's skill set required a good offensive line and another receiver to allow Lee to see the coverage that he excelled best against.

To be fair JP Losman only played for 16 games for one season. That same season was the one where Lee put up #1 receiver numbers. NOW let's look at that season. Off the top of my head I believe that Lee had about 80 catches, 1100 yards and 7 touchdowns. Mathematically it is impossible that Lee accumulated all of his yards as a 1 trick pony. Even if Lee only scored on deep routes, we still would need to account for about 70 catches and 600 yards of other production.

Lee Evans might have wanted JP Losman to be his quarterback, EMO wanted Holcomb, TO wanted Fitz, etc...I fail to see how that contradicts the fact that Lee played 109 games for the Bills, was a professional who showed up and worked every day AND (this should be a good point) never was called out as egotistical, dramatic, or an avid user of twitter.

Whatever it is that Lee could have done or will do doesn't change the fact that he is a great athlete who, had he been on a team that tried to work around players talents (We do this now, as oppose to the Jauron era) Lee would have been a much more known and productive player.

Lee was good here and if you asked anyone on the team they would tell you that he was quite valuable. I trust their opinions more than our fan base. The fact is that when you have a quarterback who excels at short throws requiring awareness and an offensive line that is trained to protect for 4 step drops you do not need a player of Lee's skill set for the price that he was making.

Irregardless, Lee deserves to be known as a good football player and as a man who never was a headcase. All he did was show up and work. When asked his opinion he would tell you, but unlike EMO who stopped trying in a game JP couldn't throw to him, Lee continued to work hard.

Just my two cents.

I guess it comes down to who we are comparing Lee to. Lee next to Chris Kelsay and George Wilson will look different than if we compare him to Donte Whittner and Maybin.

Edited by Swift Sylvan

I guess it comes down to who we are comparing Lee to. Lee next to Chris Kelsay and George Wilson will look different than if we compare him to Donte Whitner and Maybin.

Good point R. Here's the context for judging Lee's "behavior."

Lee had his big year in 2006 and was awarded with that big contract in 2008.

At that time it was believed that Lee was an elite or near-elite receiver. The media here treated him as such and as the team's highest paid player one of the few stars on the team and someone directly affected by the QB situation, he was asked about if from time to time.

Yes he sided with the incumbent, JP Losman over Edwards.

For those questioning to what degree if at all Lee was a "class act," if you can't understand why he would be justified in backing Losman, then remember the context.

1) Lee had a huge year with JP as his quarterback. They had a nice chemistry.

2) JP was the incumbent and deserved the benefit of the doubt.

3) Within the context, with Lee being a premier/ascending towards premier receiver, it would be fair to compare Lee's behavior with that of Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, or Randy Moss… as a diva receiver.

Doubting Lee's "classiness" is similar to calling Fred Jackson a malcontent for answering questions about his contract situation.

Lee was a quiet guy, gave his honest opinion on one issue, generally kept his mouth shut and worked hard, but there are those who question whether he is a classy guy.

Classy compared to whom? The people criticizing his classiness?

I think Lee Evans was possibly our most un-utilized player this last decade. Lee's skill set required a good offensive line and another receiver to allow Lee to see the coverage that he excelled best against.

I think Lee is a good player, but this argument that there are 'requirements that must be fulfilled' *for* him to be a good player is....unique. So you need 6-7 other 'good' players for one other player to be 'good'? That is not my definition of a 'good' player.

Again, the Lee Evans discussion on this board is not about Lee Evans. This was about people looking to pick apart the team and thus they elevated him to try to strengthen their position.