Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really fired up to read the "article" and fire back a response to the writer. Having read it, I'm not going to bother. It's poorly written and doesn't really have a point other than taking uninformed cheap shots at the Bills and their fans. I am not a persuasive enough writer to inform ignorance like hers. Unfortunately smugness like hers is common and never seems to get it's come-uppance. I guess I'll continue to hope for the day. It's what us Bills fans do.

Edited by Dr. Fong

May I offer better alternatives to whining and sending her nasty emails?

•  
  • Send her an Albany Bills Backers shirt with (happy) personal messages to her written on it from all the members.
  • If the Bills win, send her a blown up picture of a Bill scoring or Brady being sacked...with personal notes from members on the back...or maybe email her a video of fans celebrating in the local sports bar.
  • Write a parody op-ed...seriously, that ought not to be hard...this column was ridiculous.
  • Cancel your subs. Not because of this silly columnist, but because the paper apparently doesn't cover its own state's team.
  • Or, in what could be the worst punishment, ignore her.

What else? The Albany Assclowns.....they play every day in the Assembly. Sheldon Silver is the Captain of the Team.

That clown only works in Albany! He is elected by the downstate clowns. Albany is the state Capital if you don't like the people elected try to do something about it.

Do you think that if Buffalo was the Capital NY would be different and there would be no Silver? To blame a location for the state's issues is just not understanding the problem.

Mainly Jets and Giants. I would say the Bills are the 3rd team, and Pats 4th.

The Capital District coverage is #1 Giants and #2 goes to whoever is doing best between the the Bills and Jets, #3 the Pats, and #4 the worst of Bills and Jets. During the 90's, the Bills were usually a solid #2, and the Bills were often shown over the Jets or Pats for the local AFC game. Once the Bills started slipping and the Brady Bunch came to life, the Bills coverage became less. It also helps to have a reliable TV sports anchor. Roger Wyland on Channel 13-WNYT has been a friend to Bills coverage. If the Bills play progresses upward, their Albany coverage will as well.

Now I can give another reason for dropping the Times-Union. First they couldn't deliver the paper, now they mock my team and fans. It's The Daily Gazette (Schenectady) from now on!

The Capital District coverage is #1 Giants and #2 goes to whoever is doing best between the the Bills and Jets, #3 the Pats, and #4 the worst of Bills and Jets. During the 90's, the Bills were usually a solid #2, and the Bills were often shown over the Jets or Pats for the local AFC game. Once the Bills started slipping and the Brady Bunch came to life, the Bills coverage became less. It also helps to have a reliable TV sports anchor. Roger Wyland on Channel 13-WNYT has been a friend to Bills coverage. If the Bills play progresses upward, their Albany coverage will as well.

Now I can give another reason for dropping the Times-Union. First they couldn't deliver the paper, now they mock my team and fans. It's The Daily Gazette (Schenectady) from now on!

That's what I would reccomend. Albany Bills fans should organize a subscription cancellation drive over this irresponsible and insulting journalism.

Having lived in the Capital Region since 1985, this was one of the worst articles I have ever read. Most writers at least make an attempt to sound professional and somewhat balanced. I was prompted to write:

Hello Ms. Gish,

I just finished reading your article regarding Bills fans. Judging from your picture, I am not sure you have been around long enough to understand that fortunes do change in the NFL (and any sport for that matter). As a consequence, we Bills fans are keeping it real because change is in the wind. What would you have us do, Ms. Gish? Root for some other team because ours is has been in a dry spell? We Bills fans bleed red, white and blue. Take it from our left arm and we will gladly offer you our right....because that is who we are: Bills Nation.

In my nearly 50 years of watching this team, I feel quite qualified to make that statement. It's the little things you notice...qualitative things that become quantitative before you know it. I had that sense in 1988 and 1989. I have it now.

My suggestion is that you get on the train though it may be too late for you to avoid being labeled a bandwagon jumper if you do. Pay your dues and you will be allowed admission to the greatest fan base in the NFL: Bills Nation.

I think we all know of at least one very good writer that defies this first point.

I was going to post the same thing. Lori is better than some of the goons writing for the Buffalo news (*cough* sullivan) and the D&C (*cough* matthews).

This article was on the T-U Recommended list yesterday. So apparently the editorial staff has the same Albany anti-Bills bias.

Probably the influence of all those NYC area politicians in Albany!

Usually those recommended lists are auto generated by which stories are getting clicked on most often, so I wouldn't put much faith in it being someone selecting it.

Having grown up just outside of Saratoga and having read the ATU on a regular basis, I take some offense to this. Not because of the 82 year old woman, or the referencing of Buffalo almost being in Canada, but because she suggests that the Bills fans should abandon hope even though there are signs that this team is on the up and up.

Ms. Jennifer Gish

I just read your "article." All I can say is that I am a life long Bills fan, and at 25 years old, I have not seen too much success for my beloved Bills. That being said, the very word "fan" is short for "Fanatic" which is what myself and many others are when it comes to the Bills or any other team for that matter. Are we excited about being 2-0? Absolutely. Aren't you and your fan base pumped about being 2-0? Or has it gotten to be the norm that little things are no longer appreciated? When you are a fan of a team you are a fan through thick and thin. You believe in your team and you support them no matter what. Its like getting married. You love him or her for better or for worse. Just because the Bills have been admittedly awful for much of my life does not mean that I will forget about them and then come running back when they are worth watching. I have been a season ticket holder for the last three years; right out of college. They have not been good in the first two but as a "Fanatic" I am certainly hopeful this year will be different. And I was hopeful about last year and the year before that and so on.

I understand that your job is write about topics that are considered "hot", but to take shots at a fan base for being fans is just ridiculous. The Bills may not win 12 games this year, or compete with the Patriots on Sunday, but that doesn't mean fans will stop being being fans. We love our team. As I am sure you love yours. If you come to Western New York or read our papers and Blogs you will not find an "article" bashing fans of other teams. Its just not the respectable thing to do. I am not a fan of the Jets or Patriots, but I would never tell other people that they are wrong for being a fan of those teams. And don't come back at me with something like "There should be no reason to be wrong for liking those teams. They're good teams." They are now. They have not always been and and they will not always be good teams. Its just the way of the NFL and sports in general. Heck, even the Yankees miss the playoffs every once in a while.

My point is, and I am not sure you will even read this but all I can do is respond, that being a fan is one of the best things about sports. For 11 years the Bills have missed the playoffs. For as long as I can remember my Monday mood from September to January has been determined by the Bills' play on the previous Sunday. My optimism on Friday's is always a the highest level. I am a realist and realize that 10 wins this year would be extraordinary for the Bills based on our recent failures. However, as a fanatic, I expect to win every game. And each loss hurts just as much as "Wide Right" any other loss. But to be in love with my Bills is the greatest thing about each day. They are my team in my favorite sport. Im not wrong for that. Im not wrong for being optimistic. Im not wrong for believing there is a chance for us to win every game. Its what is great about sports. "Fandamonium" in Buffalo is unlike anything else. I am just sorry that you've never experienced it and that you seem to be too close minded to try it out.

And just because we play 1 game in Toronto does not take away our claim as New York's Only Team. 1 game in Toronto is better than 8 in New Jersey.

Just my response to Jenn. I sent it a few minutes ago. Not expecting to hear back from her, but, as I said, all i can do is respond.

Edited by The Cincinnati Kid

With her line of thinking, if a student, who has a history of poor grades then receives a great grade in class, that student shouldn't get excited and should continue to abandon hope because of the student's past performance.

Make sense?

My response:

Ms. Gish,

I hope this email finds you well! Having grown up in the Captial District with some existing ties to the area, I read the TU regularly as a way to maintain a connection to the land that I am most familiar with. I love hearing about the politics in Albany, reading about the Siena Saints, Saratoga, etc, however after reading your article yesterday, I was a little miffed by some of its contents.

I wasn't so much upset at the reference to the devotion some of these people you discuss in your article (the 82 year old woman, the mother of the 17 year old that is the season ticket holder, or the gentleman who started the Bills Backers bar in Albany as a safe haven for fellow Bills fans), or that even though Ralph Wilson Stadium is farther away from Albany than the Meadowlands (even thought the Meadowlands are in the Jerz), I was more upset that in spite of the Bills having started off the season with two consecutive wins, you suggest Bills fans to temper their enthusiasm and expect the worst.

Just because an underachieving student performs well on a test or class and recieves an "A" doesn't mean that student should be looked upon with past performance in mind and to temper expectations. There is reason to hope, and the same thing can be said with Bills Nation.

Sports are rather trivial in the grand scheme of things, however, if one can achieve unbridled enthusiasm based on the performance of their favorite sports team, let them be jovial, hopeful. Because if it wasn't for hope, what would any of us have?

Best Always,

Jonathan Muzio

Ms. Jennifer Gish

I just read your "article." All I can say is that I am a life long Bills fan, and at 25 years old, I have not seen too much success for my beloved Bills. That being said, the very word "fan" is short for "Fanatic" which is what myself and many others are when it comes to the Bills or any other team for that matter. Are we excited about being 2-0? Absolutely. Aren't you and your fan base pumped about being 2-0? Or has it gotten to be the norm that little things are no longer appreciated? When you are a fan of a team you are a fan through thick and thin. You believe in your team and you support them no matter what. Its like getting married. You love him or her for better or for worse. Just because the Bills have been admittedly awful for much of my life does not mean that I will forget about them and then come running back when they are worth watching. I have been a season ticket holder for the last three years; right out of college. They have not been good in the first two but as a "Fanatic" I am certainly hopeful this year will be different. And I was hopeful about last year and the year before that and so on.

I understand that your job is write about topics that are considered "hot", but to take shots at a fan base for being fans is just ridiculous. The Bills may not win 12 games this year, or compete with the Patriots on Sunday, but that doesn't mean fans will stop being being fans. We love our team. As I am sure you love yours. If you come to Western New York or read our papers and Blogs you will not find an "article" bashing fans of other teams. Its just not the respectable thing to do. I am not a fan of the Jets or Patriots, but I would never tell other people that they are wrong for being a fan of those teams. And don't come back at me with something like "There should be no reason to be wrong for liking those teams. They're good teams." They are now. They have not always been and and they will not always be good teams. Its just the way of the NFL and sports in general. Heck, even the Yankees miss the playoffs every once in a while.

My point is, and I am not sure you will even read this but all I can do is respond, that being a fan is one of the best things about sports. For 11 years the Bills have missed the playoffs. For as long as I can remember my Monday mood from September to January has been determined by the Bills' play on the previous Sunday. My optimism on Friday's is always a the highest level. I am a realist and realize that 10 wins this year would be extraordinary for the Bills based on our recent failures. However, as a fanatic, I expect to win every game. And each loss hurts just as much as "Wide Right" any other loss. But to be in love with my Bills is the greatest thing about each day. They are my team in my favorite sport. Im not wrong for that. Im not wrong for being optimistic. Im not wrong for believing there is a chance for us to win every game. Its what is great about sports. "Fandamonium" in Buffalo is unlike anything else. I am just sorry that you've never experienced it and that you seem to be too close minded to try it out.

And just because we play 1 game in Toronto does not take away our claim as New York's Only Team. 1 game in Toronto is better than 8 in New Jersey.

Just my response to Jenn. I sent it a few minutes ago. Not expecting to hear back from her, but, as I said, all i can do is respond.

I think this one of the most respectable responses to her. Well written.

Ms. Jennifer Gish

And just because we play 1 game in Toronto does not take away our claim as New York's Only Team. 1 game in Toronto is better than 8 16 in New Jersey.

Fixed!

Edited by McD