Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really fired up to read the "article" and fire back a response to the writer. Having read it, I'm not going to bother. It's poorly written and doesn't really have a point other than taking uninformed cheap shots at the Bills and their fans. I am not a persuasive enough writer to inform ignorance like hers. Unfortunately smugness like hers is common and never seems to get it's come-uppance. I guess I'll continue to hope for the day. It's what us Bills fans do.

Edited by Dr. Fong

May I offer better alternatives to whining and sending her nasty emails?

•  
  • Send her an Albany Bills Backers shirt with (happy) personal messages to her written on it from all the members.
  • If the Bills win, send her a blown up picture of a Bill scoring or Brady being sacked...with personal notes from members on the back...or maybe email her a video of fans celebrating in the local sports bar.
  • Write a parody op-ed...seriously, that ought not to be hard...this column was ridiculous.
  • Cancel your subs. Not because of this silly columnist, but because the paper apparently doesn't cover its own state's team.
  • Or, in what could be the worst punishment, ignore her.

What else? The Albany Assclowns.....they play every day in the Assembly. Sheldon Silver is the Captain of the Team.

That clown only works in Albany! He is elected by the downstate clowns. Albany is the state Capital if you don't like the people elected try to do something about it.

Do you think that if Buffalo was the Capital NY would be different and there would be no Silver? To blame a location for the state's issues is just not understanding the problem.

Mainly Jets and Giants. I would say the Bills are the 3rd team, and Pats 4th.

The Capital District coverage is #1 Giants and #2 goes to whoever is doing best between the the Bills and Jets, #3 the Pats, and #4 the worst of Bills and Jets. During the 90's, the Bills were usually a solid #2, and the Bills were often shown over the Jets or Pats for the local AFC game. Once the Bills started slipping and the Brady Bunch came to life, the Bills coverage became less. It also helps to have a reliable TV sports anchor. Roger Wyland on Channel 13-WNYT has been a friend to Bills coverage. If the Bills play progresses upward, their Albany coverage will as well.

Now I can give another reason for dropping the Times-Union. First they couldn't deliver the paper, now they mock my team and fans. It's The Daily Gazette (Schenectady) from now on!

The Capital District coverage is #1 Giants and #2 goes to whoever is doing best between the the Bills and Jets, #3 the Pats, and #4 the worst of Bills and Jets. During the 90's, the Bills were usually a solid #2, and the Bills were often shown over the Jets or Pats for the local AFC game. Once the Bills started slipping and the Brady Bunch came to life, the Bills coverage became less. It also helps to have a reliable TV sports anchor. Roger Wyland on Channel 13-WNYT has been a friend to Bills coverage. If the Bills play progresses upward, their Albany coverage will as well.

Now I can give another reason for dropping the Times-Union. First they couldn't deliver the paper, now they mock my team and fans. It's The Daily Gazette (Schenectady) from now on!

That's what I would reccomend. Albany Bills fans should organize a subscription cancellation drive over this irresponsible and insulting journalism.

Having lived in the Capital Region since 1985, this was one of the worst articles I have ever read. Most writers at least make an attempt to sound professional and somewhat balanced. I was prompted to write:

Hello Ms. Gish,

I just finished reading your article regarding Bills fans. Judging from your picture, I am not sure you have been around long enough to understand that fortunes do change in the NFL (and any sport for that matter). As a consequence, we Bills fans are keeping it real because change is in the wind. What would you have us do, Ms. Gish? Root for some other team because ours is has been in a dry spell? We Bills fans bleed red, white and blue. Take it from our left arm and we will gladly offer you our right....because that is who we are: Bills Nation.

In my nearly 50 years of watching this team, I feel quite qualified to make that statement. It's the little things you notice...qualitative things that become quantitative before you know it. I had that sense in 1988 and 1989. I have it now.

My suggestion is that you get on the train though it may be too late for you to avoid being labeled a bandwagon jumper if you do. Pay your dues and you will be allowed admission to the greatest fan base in the NFL: Bills Nation.