Raining on the Parade

Pass the Pipe

You should realize by now, it's of no use to be rational and make sense in this forum. I agree with nearly everything you said.

I love Fitzy as our QB, but his arm strength and accuracy are 2nd tier talent. Fortunately, he's able to counter those weaknesses most of the time with his intelligence and awareness of the defensive formations.

But if the Raider's defenders didn't have those stone mitts in the 4th quarter, the Bills would likely be 1-1 in the standings.

If the Patriots blow the Bills out, as I believe they will, the Stadium Wall masses will be echoing you're sentiments next week. This week, you're just a "Negative Nancy" trying to throw cold water on the euphoria.

The Bills have beaten one team that absolutely sucks (KC) and another with the home crowd behind them, but only by the grace of God and the butterfingered Raider DBs.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think Bills fans will get a dose of reality this coming weekend.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. News flash: if we lose to the Patriots, it means....we lost to the Patriots. It doesn't mean we're a bad team and will go winless the rest of the season, unless we let it.

It's remarkable when teams go 16-0 for a reason. It's very very hard to do, even good teams get "blown out of the water" several times a season by a team that has "solved" them.

You know hope, I am pretty sure you have seen the posts around here proclaiming the Bills will go 12-4, 11-5, etc. - which we must admit is naivity at it's best or merely a continued slow burn of the alcohol consumed a couple of days ago. The team is undoubtedly headed in the right direction, but so was the Titanic when it met up with the iceburg on that fateful evening in April of 1912. Much like the passengers of that doomed voyage, Bill's fans are marveling at the beauty of it's bandwagon at current...undoubtedly to be let down by the iceburgs on our schedule.

I think all Bills fans are enjoying a fun victory and the mere fact we can watch them and not blanch with every dropback, but the fact remains, our team is too thin on All Pro level talent to challange the real teams of the NFL.

Edited by Kipers Hair

You know hope, I am pretty sure you have seen the posts around here proclaiming the Bills will go 12-4, 11-5, etc. - which we must admit is naivity at it's best or merely a continued slow burn of the alcohol consumed a couple of days ago. The team is undoubtedly headed int he right direction, but so was the Titanic when it met up with the iceburg on that fateful day in April of 1912. Much like the passengers of that doomed voyage, Bill's fans are marveling at the beauty of it's bandwagon at current...undoubtedly to be let down by the iceburgs on our schedule.

I think all Bills fans are enjoying a fun victory and the mere fact we can watch them and not blanch with every dropback, but the fact remains, our team is too thin on All Pro level talent to challange the real teams of the NFL.

A paragraph filled with random insults of other posters and multiple spelling and grammatical errors presenting itself as a model of thoughtful fandom. Priceless.

Whether the Bills can "challenge the real teams of the NFL" or not is an open question. Open questions are fun, exciting. People who rush to close them by claiming they possess some higher level of understanding are no fun at all.

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

I told myself I wouldn't spend these minutes of my life responding to this, but I had to.

Not quite sure what you expected this year. And I'm also not sure what you're looking at when you're watching the Bills. No speed at the WR position? No explosiveness from a TE? Fitz's arm is inaccurate and lacks zip (game winning TD pass against Oakland, anyone?)? Sure, Merriman isn't sacking QBs left and right (two games, mind you), but he's been part of a defense that has stymied two of last year's best running backs in consecutive weeks. The secondary - they have one bad performance from McKelvin against Oakland and now they suck? The team has obviously shown improvement from last year.

I don't know what the point of this post is and I don't know why I've spent these minutes that I'll never get back, responding to it. I, for one, was not expecting playoffs this year; I wasn't expecting to beat the Patriots this year. From what I've seen, personally, so far - both of those things are more possible than I would have ever dreamed. And that makes me a happy Bills fan.

Cheers.

A paragraph filled with random insults of other posters and multiple spelling and grammatical errors presenting itself as a model of thoughtful fandom. Priceless.

Whether the Bills can "challenge the real teams of the NFL" or not is an open question. Open questions are fun, exciting. People who rush to close them by claiming they possess some higher level of understanding are no fun at all.

I guess there are those out there who believe there is fun to be had in being the idiot. So be it.

You know hope, I am pretty sure you have seen the posts around here proclaiming the Bills will go 12-4, 11-5, etc. - which we must admit is naivity at it's best or merely a continued slow burn of the alcohol consumed a couple of days ago. The team is undoubtedly headed in the right direction, but so was the Titanic when it met up with the iceburg on that fateful evening in April of 1912. Much like the passengers of that doomed voyage, Bill's fans are marveling at the beauty of it's bandwagon at current...undoubtedly to be let down by the iceburgs on our schedule.

Let's enjoy the victory - it was a great game -one of the most exciting in recent times. But I'll hold off on making playoff arrangements until they can consistently compete with the top teams. They showed signs last year with a near win against Pittsburgh. But until they show consistent play at a high leve and they are a feared opponent, fans of the Jets and Patriots et al, are penciling in a "W" on their prediction cards. Until the Bills prove otherwise, they're still perceived as a .500 or under team.

Call me a skeptic, but after 10+ years of heartbreak, I need to see proof. The Bills are relatively weak team. Fitzpatrick's heads-up play made them winners this week.

So, what happens if Fitzy gets hurt and is out for any extended period? How confident would you be in the team then?

Edited by DML2005

I don't think anyone should be blasted for being optimistic abot our 2-0 start. There's a lot to like, not the least of which is we look organized, look like we know what we want to do and with certainty, and we showed Sunday that we can counter punch (whereas in recent history, when the plan we put in place on Tuesday didn't work on Sunday, we were screwed for the rest of the game.) All of that seems minor, but it's significant to me. As frustrating as losing has been, it's been magnified by the fact that we didn't seem to know what the hell we were doing the vast majority of the time.

However, I don't think anyone should be blasted for being pessimistic about our chances this weekend. Maybe we will turn some heads with a statement win on Sunday. Maybe we'll lose 56-10. Right now, we're the Homecoming Queen. But maybe Sunday, pig's blood gets dumped on our head. If it does, the key to the rest of the season is whether or not we get pissed off about it and take our frustrations out on Cincinnati and future opponents instead of crawling into a fetal position and letting a loss to the Pats ruin the rest of the season.

Sticks and stones.....

Must be hard being a lion as in your sig file while you keep running up that white flag on life.

Again, different people react in different ways to the lack of success of our team. and we all probably have too much invested in this.

Once, after a horrible loss, I was reading an exchange by "Pass the Pipe" and "Tortured Soul." The names alone brought a smile to my face! :D Sadly, I felt their pain.

That said, one has to be happy right now. I don't know if the Chiefs and the Raiders both suck. I don't care if catching breaks helped us win on Sunday. It doesn't matter.

I didn't expect an awful lot from the defense until 4-6 weeks into the season. We are relying on rookies to contribute, a tough task. Well, Dareus looks great, and lots of players are making plays. The defense is bigger, stronger and will get better.

If the offense can do the same next year, we can be a playoff team. Expectations such as this are more reasonable than 12-4.

In the meantime, we CAN beat NE. They are better than us but perhaps we can catch a few lucky breaks. Or, maybe they will take us lightly. Or maybe we will just kick their ass. It sure would be great and make us all happy but again, we all probably have way too much invested in this, and we all have employed different methods of coping.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

Can anyone here just enjoy the fact that we are 2-0 and have played some exciting football? Life is too short people. It's football and right now it's fun. Just read Sullivan today. It's almost like some can't wait for the Bills to lose so you can say I told you so.

I agree 100%. Here's some advice. Enjoy the wins. There will be plenty more of them this year. Lament the losses, there will be a few of those too. It's football season!

I don't think anyone should be blasted for being optimistic abot our 2-0 start. There's a lot to like, not the least of which is we look organized, look like we know what we want to do and with certainty, and we showed Sunday that we can counter punch (whereas in recent history, when the plan we put in place on Tuesday didn't work on Sunday, we were screwed for the rest of the game.) All of that seems minor, but it's significant to me. As frustrating as losing has been, it's been magnified by the fact that we didn't seem to know what the hell we were doing the vast majority of the time.

However, I don't think anyone should be blasted for being pessimistic about our chances this weekend. Maybe we will turn some heads with a statement win on Sunday. Maybe we'll lose 56-10. Right now, we're the Homecoming Queen. But maybe Sunday, pig's blood gets dumped on our head. If it does, the key to the rest of the season is whether or not we get pissed off about it and take our frustrations out on Cincinnati and future opponents instead of crawling into a fetal position and letting a loss to the Pats ruin the rest of the season.

Well said and a nice vintage Carrie reference well played...

As usual, Bill, you provide wise and measured guidance. :thumbsup:

Again, different people react in different ways to the lack of success of our team. and we all probably have too much invested in this.

Once, after a horrible loss, I was reading an exchange by "Pass the Pipe" and "Tortured Soul." The names alone brought a smile to my face! :D Sadly, I felt their pain.

That said, one has to be happy right now. I don't know if the Chiefs and the Raiders both suck. I don't care if catching breaks helped us win on Sunday. It doesn't matter.

I didn't expect an awful lot from the defense until 4-6 weeks into the season. We are relying on rookies to contribute, a tough task. Well, Dareus looks great, and lots of players are making plays. The defense is bigger, stronger and will get better.

If the offense can do the same next year, we can be a playoff team. Expectations such as this are more reasonable than 12-4.

In the meantime, we CAN beat NE. They are better than us but perhaps we can catch a few lucky breaks. Or, maybe they will take us lightly. Or maybe we will just kick their ass. It sure would be great and make us all happy but again, we all probably have way too much invested in this, and we all have employed different methods of coping.

Sticks and stones.....

Must be hard being a lion as in your sig file while you keep running up that white flag on life.

My comment of "having fun" and being the idiot was no reference to you or your demeaner, more to the symbolic "village idiot" who plays the part of the fool and thinks people are laughing with him. Anyway, as to raising the surrender flag on life, my friend statistically speaking, you couldnt be further from the truth...but we're not here for d-ck measuring are we? Just the fact that I am still a Bills fan should be evidence enough, the flag isn't going up any time soon....

Edited by Kipers Hair

My comment of "having fun" and being the idiot was no reference to you or your demeaner, more to the symbolic "village idiot" who plays the part of the fool and thinks people are laughing with him. Anyway, as to raising the surrender flag on life, my friend statistically speaking, you couldnt be further from the truth...but we're not here for d-ck measuring are we? Just the fact that I am still a Bills fan should be evidence enough, the flag isn't going up any time soon....

Good for you, my Bills brother! Glad we cleared that up.

I may have over-reacted to the term "idiot," which you will admit is rather loaded.

Fight on! Better days are ahead! Or not! ;):lol:

Well said.

You should realize by now, it's of no use to be rational and make sense in this forum. I agree with nearly everything you said.

I love Fitzy as our QB, but his arm strength and accuracy are 2nd tier talent. Fortunately, he's able to counter those weaknesses most of the time with his intelligence and awareness of the defensive formations.

But if the Raider's defenders didn't have those stone mitts in the 4th quarter, the Bills would likely be 1-1 in the standings.

If the Patriots blow the Bills out, as I believe they will, the Stadium Wall masses will be echoing you're sentiments next week. This week, you're just a "Negative Nancy" trying to throw cold water on the euphoria.

The Bills have beaten one team that absolutely sucks (KC) and another with the home crowd behind them, but only by the grace of God and the butterfingered Raider DBs.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think Bills fans will get a dose of reality this coming weekend.

I don't believe anyone is saying we are going to win the Super Bowl just yet. We are just enjoying the wins. If we lose on Sunday, which is a very real possibility, guess what? There's another game the following week that we have a very good chance of winning. There is no doubting that this team is improved from the ones we have been seeing the past few years. I for one am enjoying that and if we lose a few along the way, well then so be it. I have a pretty good feeling that this will be a good year compared to the past few. Take a little time and enjoy the wins my friend and when they do lose, because they surely will, then we can all feel bad about that.

Edited by xsoldier54

2010 draft was only half at best of this regimes fault as all evaluations were done by Modrak. Hence him being fired after the draft, not before. It was a bad draft, and perhaps Buddy should have fired him as soon as he was hired. That is on Nix. So maybe 51% buddies fault. If they have a solid draft next year, i will forgive him.

Billsfreak, you almost sound, gulp, a little bit positive on this thread. Still more negative than positive but be careful, you don't want to lose your hater card.

I totally agree. He as done as much for this organization as anyone in it's history, yet people rag on him all the time on here. He was brought here as GM because Ralphy asked for a favor, and he didn't do as bad as people claim. If not for Marv Levy, you are correct, Fred Jackson is probably still playing Arena Football. Kinda like slamming your mother if she makes one meal that doesn't taste good. I don't think Levy had much say around the organization when he was here, he was a figure head to keep the fans interested during the continued losing ways of this franchise. Even if he did control anything, and he didn't, I am not sure he had a draft as bad as this regimes first draft in 2010.

I reserve the right to respectfully disagree.

I told myself I wouldn't spend these minutes of my life responding to this, but I had to.

Not quite sure what you expected this year. And I'm also not sure what you're looking at when you're watching the Bills. No speed at the WR position? No explosiveness from a TE? Fitz's arm is inaccurate and lacks zip (game winning TD pass against Oakland, anyone?)? Sure, Merriman isn't sacking QBs left and right (two games, mind you), but he's been part of a defense that has stymied two of last year's best running backs in consecutive weeks. The secondary - they have one bad performance from McKelvin against Oakland and now they suck? The team has obviously shown improvement from last year.

I don't know what the point of this post is and I don't know why I've spent these minutes that I'll never get back, responding to it. I, for one, was not expecting playoffs this year; I wasn't expecting to beat the Patriots this year. From what I've seen, personally, so far - both of those things are more possible than I would have ever dreamed. And that makes me a happy Bills fan.

Cheers.

+1