A Fitz Stat You May Have Missed

ChevyVanMiller

ESPN has a great feature where they list their research stats below their game columns. Some interesting stuff on the Bills yeaterday, including this nugget:

NEXT LEVEL: Ryan Fitzpatrick picked apart the Raiders' secondary with underneath throws, throwing the game-winning touchdown pass and completing 69 percent of his passes on throws fewer than 10 yards. Last season, Fitzpatrick ranked in the bottom five in the NFL in completion percentage and NFL passer rating on throws of that distance.

Fitz connected on a lot of deep balls last year what is setting him apart this year is his quick reads and precision throws underneath. If that continues he is going to be very "Brady-like" and hard to stop.

Bills/Raiders Recap

ESPN has a great feature where they list their research stats below their game columns. Some interesting stuff on the Bills yeaterday, including this nugget:

NEXT LEVEL: Ryan Fitzpatrick picked apart the Raiders' secondary with underneath throws, throwing the game-winning touchdown pass and completing 69 percent of his passes on throws fewer than 10 yards. Last season, Fitzpatrick ranked in the bottom five in the NFL in completion percentage and NFL passer rating on throws of that distance.

Fitz connected on a lot of deep balls last year what is setting him apart this year is his quick reads and precision throws underneath. If that continues he is going to be very "Brady-like" and hard to stop.

Bills/Raiders Recap

And yet, ironically, this board was loaded with posts over the summer saying, "Fitz has accuracy problems, and those cannot be solved this late in his career."

And yet, ironically, this board was loaded with posts over the summer saying, "Fitz has accuracy problems, and those cannot be solved this late in his career."

He did have accuracy problems, and IMO, didn't look like he was improving that accuracy at all.

It looks like in the offseason, he definitely worked on that aspect of his game. I have not seen anywhere near as many off target throws this year, though there has still been some.

I still think people need to hold their horses on this team and Fitz.

There is a long way to go this season...

Bills/Raiders Recap

The fact that he left with a clean uniform yesterday helped immensely. The combination of improved line play, Fitz's quick decisions & throws, Jackson's performances, Gailey's play calling are all working together beautifully right now. Fitz is the right QB for this team and this offense right now.

He did have accuracy problems, and IMO, didn't look like he was improving that accuracy at all.

It looks like in the offseason, he definitely worked on that aspect of his game. I have not seen anywhere near as many off target throws this year, though there has still been some.

How much of "accuracy problems" is actually miscommunication/lack of playing time?

The Bills' passing game is about getting to a spot, or finding an open spot in a zone. So much of that is based on knowing your receivers. Fitz was not the starter last year, so didn't have the work with most of the starters with the exception of StevieJ.

We read all about how Fitz had his receivers working with him during the holdout. This guy is a good QB. Coming is as the #1 is showing. He will have his bad days, bad quarters, etc. All QBs do. However, like Gailey said, he is a winner.

It's awful hard for any QB to be accurate when your O line sucks !! Now that Fitz has some time because of improved line play , along with his above average (Harvard) intelligence his true QB ability is showing .

And i can't wait to see him make all you nay sayers eat crow !!! Go Bills ---- Go Fitz !!!!!!!

The "problem" was as RJ states -- many posters opined very strongly that Fitz would not be able to address deficiencies in his accuracy. In essence, they stated his issues were not correctable.

Early returns this season would suggest exactly the opposite.

"Fitz connected on a lot of deep balls last year what is setting him apart this year is his quick reads and precision throws underneath. If that continues he is going to be very "Brady-like" and hard to stop."

He is a smart kid. Watching, and prepping for NE 2x a year has to rub off (somewhat). Especially for a guy who, according to coach Gailey, "only needs to be told something one time."

Tom Brady is a freak... Tom Jackson said it right on the Blitz "You cannot make mistakes and beat the New England Patriots." Fitz and the boys have to be on point.

Edited by judman