Still not built to beat the Pats

Something that I've been screaming about on here for years is that the Bills are still showing nothing off of the edge from their pass rushers. I've brought this up more than a few times and I hear things like, "Batten, Coleman, Merriman, Moats, etc." But year after year they do nothing.

You need a strong pass rush off the edge to beat Brady and other than a play or two by Kelsay, the Bills have shown nothing from that position. When the Bills played him tough in the past, Schobel went off. Hopefully Buddy finally gets the point after Brady sits in the pocket and dissects our secondary next week and makes this position a priority before the 5th round.

Not being a downer, I'm staying consistent. I'm obviously happy that the Bills are at least fun to watch again and resemble a football. But until Merriman or Buddy (on draft day) wake up, I don't see things changing vs the Pats. I guess 14-2 isn't so bad though.

Well lets play the game first.

Could be we have something that we have not shown yet?

We really stacked the run for our last two opponents. Maybe he have a few wrinkles for Tommy Boy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread still makes no sense. If 'outside rush' is a problem then that is an issue. "Built to beat the pats' is just a retarded notion.

A retarded notion? Is it? Did the Eagles go out and pick up 2 of the NFL's top corners to match up with better with teams like the Packers and the Saints who run spread offenses? I think they did. Did the Bills design their offense to take away the advantages of the 3-4 and spread them out? It sure looks that way.

Maybe you're to "retarded" to realize that.

buddy is awake, wide awake. He had done a solid job of turning around the roster.

Carrington, Troupe, Easly, Batten.....where is the impact? He inherited Fitz, Stevie, Freddy, KW. He was handed Dareus on a platter. Gotta make better draft day decisions if you're going to build through the draft. At the end of the day, we beat the Chiefs and the Raiders.

A retarded notion? Is it? Did the Eagles go out and pick up 2 of the NFL's top corners to match up with better with teams like the Packers and the Saints who run spread offenses? I think they did. Did the Bills design their offense to take away the advantages of the 3-4 and spread them out? It sure looks that way.

Carrington, Troupe, Easly, Batten.....where is the impact? He inherited Fitz, Stevie, Freddy, KW. He was handed Dareus on a platter. Gotta make better draft day decisions if you're going to build through the draft. At the end of the day, we beat the Chiefs and the Raiders.

WOW , imgaine if the team was 0-2 enjoy the ride this is just the begining

I'm not the one who titled my thread 'still not built to beat the pats' when I meant 'still not able to pressure the QB from outside'.

As it stands, you are currently making the point that the we should be built to get two wins a year instead of concerning ourselves with the other 14 games.

What's not to understand? In order to be the best you need to beat the best. The formula for beating the Pats has been established, pressure off of the edge. The Bills aren't showing this at all. No one is stepping up. Pretty straight forward really.

Buddy needs to wake up on draft day and realize that he had Merriman (in his prime) and Phillips coming form the outside in SD and that's what made that D so great. Go out and get somebody and stop trying to "steal" someone at such an important position.

Buddy needs to wake up? Given that the Bills were weak nearly everywhere, why should an edge pass rusher be the #1 priority in Buddy's drafts? Should we reach like we did with Maybin? Or take the best player available at any of our many need positions?

Seems to me that Buddy is doing fine so far transforming the Bills into a talented, competitive team. But the job is far from finished. Give the man a little more time.

I'm not the one who titled my thread 'still not built to beat the pats' when I meant 'still not able to pressure the QB from outside'.

As it stands, you are currently making the point that the we should be built to get two wins a year instead of concerning ourselves with the other 14 games.

It's simple logic but the simple part is gonna get J2020 everytime. :lol:

I understand your point. I also understand what you're 'not' saying. You're another one who would 'rather' the Bills lose so you can be 'right'.

Couldn't be more wrong. I've been waiting a long time to feel confident in this team and a couple of impressive wins over lesser AFC teams aren't going to make me forget that the Pats have eaten our lunch for the last decade.

What you call "being right" is what I call dealing with reality. The bottom line is that we are not going to outscore the Pats to win. We have to stop their offense. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening but crazier things have happened. You seem to take offense to the truth.

The Bills are a 9 point underdog at home after scoring 80 points in 2 games. Do the odds makers hate the Bills too?

Mark my words. It'll be NE using 2 TE's almost all game, us having to use double coverage on Hernandez, which is fine - because they have no running game.

Our offense will be able to stretch the field very well thanks to what we saw today with Brad Smith and Spiller making teams unsure of what can happen. We will have to simply throw the long ball. I wish Evans was here for next week.

I wish Evans was good.

Couldn't be more wrong. I've been waiting a long time to feel confident in this team and a couple of impressive wins over lesser AFC teams aren't going to make me forget that the Pats have eaten our lunch for the last decade.

What you call "being right" is what I call dealing with reality. The bottom line is that we are not going to outscore the Pats to win. We have to stop their offense. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening but crazier things have happened. You seem to take offense to the truth.

The Bills are a 9 point underdog at home after scoring 80 points in 2 games. Do the odds makers hate the Bills too?

That is exactly my point, you're rooting for a loss and making a 'bold' prediction of the Pats winning so you can 'right'. You're entire point is this team is not 'built' to beat the pats. How could it be? They're rebuilding. I'm going to tell you now, you won't feel any better about yourself if you are right and the bill lose.

If you have any more madden like observation though, please do share.

Edited by jeremy2020

That is exactly my point, you're rooting for a loss and making a 'bold' prediction of the Pats winning so you can 'right'. You're entire point is this team is not 'built' to beat the pats. How could it be? They're rebuilding. I'm going to tell you now, you won't feel any better about yourself if you are right and the bill lose.

So basically you're saying that I should create some false sense of reality and convince myself that the Bills are going to win? Thanks Tony Robbins, but if the Bills lose I won't say I told you so because it's hardly some far fetched prediction/opinion. The odds makers don't think we have a shot in hell and I'm sure that line will stand firm around 9 too. Why? Because of the history, the matchups and Tom Brady.

You're arguing with me based on an opinion that the majority of this board would probably admit and this is a Bills fan board! Why?

So basically you're saying that I should create some false sense of reality and convince myself that the Bills are going to win? Thanks Tony Robbins, but if the Bills lose I won't say I told you so because it's hardly some far fetched prediction/opinion. The odds makers don't think we have a shot in hell and I'm sure that line will stand firm around 9 too. Why? Because of the history, the matchups and Tom Brady.

You're arguing with me based on an opinion that the majority of this board would probably admit and this is a Bills fan board! Why?

I don't think the Bills will win. I'm saying you're setting up a straw man argument that they will lose so you can feel good about yourself when you are 'right'.

I don't think the Bills will win. I'm saying you're setting up a straw man argument that they will lose so you can feel good about yourself when you are 'right'.

Not sure if you noticed but the boards are filled with ridiculous threads about how after 2 weeks the Bills lead the NFL in rushing, scoring, best record and lot of them are saying I told you so. I've rarely seen, "I told you so" threads from people who are realistic on these boards and you'd be hard pressed to find one that I've started. So your basing this off of nothing?

I can tell you this, I will take no enjoyment in a Bills loss against the Pats. Going into the game I have my thoughts and if you don't at least share in those same thoughts you are a delusional poster (don't worry, you have some company here). But don't go assuming that I started this thread as a set up for next week becasue it's completely baseless asinine.

Edited by John Cocktosten

Tough to say that until after we play them. Think youre about 1 week premature on this thread.

Lets see what surprises we bring for Marsha, and I think our Offense will do well against their D.

GO BILLS!

Exactly - I am not foolish enough to think that the Patsies* will be anything but a real test for this team but you can't just rule out the Bills.