Barnett vs Merriman

I really like our d this year.

Our front is very decent. Dwan Edwards, Kyle, Dareus, Spencer Johnson, etc

Even our lb core is not too shabby

Kelsay, Barnett, Merriman

Im in love with the way Barnett plays. He's fast. Always around the end of the play. Very solid tackling.

I like Merriman. He's 1 of our pass rushing lbs. But at the end of the year, I think Barnett will have a bigger impact. Plus, Im not sure Merriman will go the whole season.

What do you guys think?

Barnett was an awsome addition

Give Merriman some credit... he was one of the reasons Barnett signed with B-Lo. Merriman has been pimping Buffalo since he got here. Of course, we all know the reason behind it is to try to load up the team with talent bc he can't do it all himself (even if he was healthy), not that there's anything wrong with that. All we need is a solid year this year and the FA's will start viewing B-Lo in a better light!

If he stays healthy, Merriman will have a larger impact on the defense. He plays the run and rushes the passer with equal ability. And he's pretty decent in coverage as well. He's just an elite player and has been his entire career. When healthy.

While I like Barnett and think he's an upgrade at the position, he's just not in the same class as Merriman as a player. Teams will have to scheme for Merriman. I think we saw some of this against KC. I'm convinced Merriman was asked to stay at home and maintain containment vs. getting up field. The fact the Chiefs didn't run right at him, especially after his injury, says a lot. When Carrington spelled Merriman they wasted no time in running to that side. So just in one game I saw Merriman having a bigger impact even though his stat line didn't suggest it.

GO BILLS!!!

+1 You are correct, those big gainers happened when Carrington was in there.

<br />Barnett is going to have the largest impact and it's not even up for debate.  He basically coached all of the younger guys after every series in Kansas City.  Took the overhead shots and explained what was there and what the responsibilities were. His on field impact only tells a small part of the story.  He's one of the major leaders on this team and probably the most important off season acquisition.<br />
It's most definitely up for debate. Merriman is going to allow Williams and Dareus to go one on one on most passing downs. He is excellent at co atoning the edge vs the run, a VERY underrated part of his game. If he gets 12-15 sacks and we end up a top 10 defense vs the run, Merriman will have a bigger impact. And it won't even be up for debate. I love Barnett and thrilled that he'll be a bill for a few years, but if healthy, Merriman is a true impact player that will make everyone around him better. Who knows if he'll remain healthy, but if he does, I'd predict Merriman has a bigger impact.

It's most definitely up for debate. Merriman is going to allow Williams and Dareus to go one on one on most passing downs.

Based on what evidence? Merriman wasn't doubled a single time on the rush against KC. Dareus/Williams were.

He is excellent at co atoning the edge vs the run, a VERY underrated part of his game. If he gets 12-15 sacks and we end up a top 10 defense vs the run, Merriman will have a bigger impact.

Not if we don't get off the field on 3rd down. Over the last decade, the short middle of the field was our biggest detriment. On Sunday, Barnett and company took that away - even when Merrimen was on the sideline waving his wing around.

And it won't even be up for debate. I love Barnett and thrilled that he'll be a bill for a few years, but if healthy, Merriman is a true impact player that will make everyone around him better. Who knows if he'll remain healthy, but if he does, I'd predict Merriman has a bigger impact.

Barnett is the glue guy bringing the young guys along. He's the true veteran defensive leader. Merrimen will get the credit because he's going to be the one who has the flashy stats (if he performs) but Barnett is going to be consistent Darryl Talley - the leader who inspires everyone around them to play to their absolute potential both with words and actions.

If he stays healthy, Merriman will have a larger impact on the defense. He plays the run and rushes the passer with equal ability. And he's pretty decent in coverage as well. He's just an elite player and has been his entire career. When healthy.

While I like Barnett and think he's an upgrade at the position, he's just not in the same class as Merriman as a player. Teams will have to scheme for Merriman. I think we saw some of this against KC. I'm convinced Merriman was asked to stay at home and maintain containment vs. getting up field. The fact the Chiefs didn't run right at him, especially after his injury, says a lot. When Carrington spelled Merriman they wasted no time in running to that side. So just in one game I saw Merriman having a bigger impact even though his stat line didn't suggest it.

GO BILLS!!!

Excellent point K-9

I just hope both of them play their part. They bring swagger. We will need that vs oakland!!

But we will also need kelsay to step up! If SM is game planed for and double teamed, someone else has got to be free and come through.

But I love the addition of Barnett. Nothing like having a coach on the field of play.

Totally different positions and jobs on the defense, kinda hard to compare the two but definitely liked how Barnett came back from whiffing on that long Jamal Charles run (also on Shawne's side but he was double teamed, that tackle is Barnett's to make there)

I remember thinking, oh crap I thought Barnett had better lateral speed. But it seemed like the only mistake he made all day. Really strong coverage guy, will be interesting to watch on TE Boss this sunday.

<br />Based on what evidence?  Merriman wasn't doubled a single time on the rush against KC.  Dareus/Williams were.<br /><br />Not if we don't get off the field on 3rd down.  Over the last decade, the short middle of the field was our biggest detriment.  On Sunday, Barnett and company took that away - even when Merrimen was on the sideline waving his wing around.<br /><br />Barnett is the glue guy bringing the young guys along.  He's the true veteran defensive leader.  Merrimen will get the credit because he's going to be the one who has the flashy stats (if he performs) but Barnett is going to be consistent Darryl Talley - the leader who inspires everyone around them to play to their absolute potential both with words and actions.<br />
I like all the poinTs you've made, nice post. I accept your opinion as that, your opinion. IMO, a top shelf pass rusher that can contain the edge vs the run is more important than a glue guy every day of the week. Barnetts strength is pass coverage and being vocal. A coverage LB will never be as important as a pass rushing extraordinaire that stops the run. Sure, stopping the 3rd down pass to the TE has been killing us over the last couple year, but the RUN has been crucifying us. And it's not even close. Merriman can have almost as much impact vs the 3rd down passes as Barnett with his pressure and can hold the edge vs the run. Again, I understand your opinion, but I'll never agree with it. It's like comparing Bruce to Talley. Yes, I know Bruce was better than Merriman, but talley was better than Barnett. The LBs life is made a lot easier if the DL is effective.

I like all the poinTs you've made, nice post. I accept your opinion as that, your opinion. IMO, a top shelf pass rusher that can contain the edge vs the run is more important than a glue guy every day of the week. Barnetts strength is pass coverage and being vocal. A coverage LB will never be as important as a pass rushing extraordinaire that stops the run. Sure, stopping the 3rd down pass to the TE has been killing us over the last couple year, but the RUN has been crucifying us. And it's not even close. Merriman can have almost as much impact vs the 3rd down passes as Barnett with his pressure and can hold the edge vs the run. Again, I understand your opinion, but I'll never agree with it. It's like comparing Bruce to Talley. Yes, I know Bruce was better than Merriman, but talley was better than Barnett. The LBs life is made a lot easier if the DL is effective.

I frankly don't understand this mentality. Barnett is on the field every down and is just as effective as a run defender. The BILLS have been getting gashed on gut runs for so long that I can't remember the last consistent ILBer we've had.

The vast majority of effective rushing teams in the NFL are teams that run consistently between the tackles, Kansas City is probably the only real exception. This "setting the edge" business is just a new way of saying "gap control". Barnett is just as good at controlling his gap as Merriman is.

I frankly don't understand this mentality. Barnett is on the field every down and is just as effective as a run defender. The BILLS have been getting gashed on gut runs for so long that I can't remember the last consistent ILBer we've had.

The vast majority of effective rushing teams in the NFL are teams that run consistently between the tackles, Kansas City is probably the only real exception. This "setting the edge" business is just a new way of saying "gap control". Barnett is just as good at controlling his gap as Merriman is.

The last sentence is just ridiculous. Barnett is a 230 LB LB. When taking on an OL, he gets swallowed 9/10 times. If the DL doesn't do tier job, Barnett is fresh meat. Merriman on the other hand, stands his man up and flows with the play 90% of the time, hence making his ILB la job easier. Say what you like about "setting the edge", but it's extremely important, whether you like to call it gap control or not. His pass rushing ability is the thing that separates them IMO. Both solid vs the run, barnett being solid in coverage, merriman being solid rushing the passer. In you honest opinion, which is more important? Rushing the passer or covering the TE/RB?

Every coach in the league will take the pass rusher. And it's not up for debate.

By far and large it will be MERRIMAN dear Bills fans.....

I mean, how can you think otherwise?... 4 sacks in 3 seasons and a couple knee blowouts.....no way to game plan around that.

Edited by Bump

Barnett will make his impact breaking up pass plays and making big stops on 'homerun' plays

Merriman will make his impact on stuffing gaps against the run and forcing fumbles

hard to compare, both important IMO

** if both can stay healthy we will be solid IMO

<br />Barnett will make his impact breaking up pass plays and making big stops on 'homerun' plays<br /><br />Merriman will make his impact on stuffing gaps against the run and forcing fumbles<br /><br />hard to compare, both important IMO<br /><br /><br />** if both can stay healthy we will be solid IMO<br />
if he remains healthy, Merriman will make an impact rushing the passer as well.