Phil Hansen

ganesh

Phil Hansen, the very much under appreciated DE of the golden era is going on the Wall this Sunday afternoon. It should be a pretty emotional moment. Phil, who was a very good player in his own right let all the accolades go to the guy on the other end but made his own presence felt in many games. Phil is very similar to another player who will be on the field defending the Bills...Kyle Williams.....If he keeps up how he is playing, one day he will also make it to that Wall.

Phil Hansen, the very much under appreciated DE of the golden era is going on the Wall this Sunday afternoon. It should be a pretty emotional moment. Phil, who was a very good player in his own right let all the accolades go to the guy on the other end but made his own presence felt in many games. Phil is very similar to another player who will be on the field defending the Bills...Kyle Williams.....If he keeps up how he is playing, one day he will also make it to that Wall.

well deserved

Next to Darryl Talley, Hanson is the most underrated defensive player I have seen on the Bills in the nearly 40 years I have been watching them. He played on the other side of the line from maybe the greatest DE in history and was overshadowed his whole career. If he wasn't on the other side, Bruce's stats wouldn't be so amazing, because they could have just run away from him the whole game. Brings up a question though, who if anyone since the Superbowl years has a chance to go up on the wall? Moulds maybe? Maybe Moorman if they would put a punter. If not Moorman, I don't see anyone from the past decade worthy.

Edited by billsfreak

Next to Darryl Talley, Hanson is the most underrated defensive player I have seen on the Bills in the nearly 40 years I have been watching them. He played on the other side of the line from maybe the greatest DE in history and was overshadowed his whole career. If he wasn't on the other side, Bruce's stats wouldn't be so amazing, because they could have just run away from him the whole game. Brings up a question though, who if anyone since the Superbowl years has a chance to go up on the wall? Moulds maybe? Maybe Moorman if they would put a punter. If not Moorman, I don't see anyone from the past decade worthy.

Aaron Maybin thinks he belongs up there

are you kidding?

i loved phil hansen but he wasnt anywhere near as good as kyle williams. in fact, he wasnt any better than chris kelsay

lots of emotional romanticism attached to that era. phil was decent but he really doesnt belong on the wall for his on field accomplishments. if youre gonna put him there you should at least admit why. kinda makes a joke of the wall actually

flame away. but i had seasons during those years and anyone capable of objective reasoning would concur

phil is beloved for pretty much the exact opposite and yet still the same reason kelsay is hated - they represent the fortunes of the teams they played on

Edited by Meathead

are you kidding?

i loved phil hansen but he wasnt anywhere near as good as kyle williams. in fact, he wasnt any better than chris kelsay

lots of emotional romanticism attached to that era. phil was decent but he really doesnt belong on the wall for his on field accomplishments. if youre gonna put him there you should at least admit why. kinda makes a joke of the wall actually

flame away. but i had seasons during those years and anyone capable of objective reasoning would concur

No player deserves to be recognized as an all-time great after two good seasons. And how do you compare the two (Hansen and Williams?), what genius method do you have for that? Two different positions, different eras, and definitely different won-loss records.

Aaron Maybin thinks he belongs up there

Maybe in the seats right above the wall, that is the closest he should ever get to the field again.

Edited by billsfreak

I'm sorry, but until Reggie McKenzie goes up on the wall, Phil Hansen should have to wait. Fred Smerlas is up there, for Gods sake.

Do the right thing, and put him on the wall- ever heard of 2003?

This is awful... and this wrong should be righted.

http://www.collegefootball.org/famer_selected.php?id=70076

Edited by BmoreBills

Congratulations Phil Hansen. He was a tremendous player and perfect compliment to #78. Applied pressure on the QB, great in run support, hustled all over the field. Plus he was a character guy.

On a sidenote, there is some assclown on this site who predicted Alex Carrington would be better than Phil Hansen. I think his name is Mr. Nix or something to that affect. How's that working out? :nana:

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

I'm sorry, but until Reggie McKenzie goes up on the wall, Phil Hansen should have to wait. Fred Smerlas is up there, for Gods sake.

Do the right thing, and put him on the wall- ever heard of 2003?

This is awful... and this wrong should be righted.

I agree that McKenzie should be up there, he was a key member of the Electric Company with Joe D. and started every game for 9 straight seasons for Buffalo. Smerlas was also a multiple Pro Bowler (5X) and like Reggie a One Time First Team All-Pro, and was out there pretty much every game for 11 seasons, so I don't have a problem with him being up there. I really believe though, and from previous topics on this forum I am not alone, that Ralph puts alot of his personal feelings into who goes up on the wall here, otherwise there is no way that Lou Saban wouldn't be up there.

Edited by billsfreak

are you kidding?

i loved phil hansen but he wasnt anywhere near as good as kyle williams. in fact, he wasnt any better than chris kelsaylots of emotional romanticism attached to that era. phil was decent but he really doesnt belong on the wall for his on field accomplishments. if youre gonna put him there you should at least admit why. kinda makes a joke of the wall actually

phil is beloved for pretty much the exact opposite and yet still the same reason kelsay is hated - they represent the fortunes of the teams they played on

You lost all credibility.

I agree that McKenzie should be up there, he was a key member of the Electric Company with Joe D. and started every game for 9 straight seasons for Buffalo. Smerlas was also a multiple Pro Bowler (5X) and like Reggie a One Time First Team All-Pro, and was out there pretty much every game for 11 seasons, so I don't have a problem with him being up there. I really believe though, and from previous topics on this forum I am not alone, that Ralph puts alot of his personal feelings into who goes up on the wall here, otherwise there is no way that Lou Saban wouldn't be up there.

Therein lies the problem. Lou Saban not being on there, well I can see it because he had always been a wayward soul and he had problems like Cookie did with sticking with things. McKenzie, however, is a well respected member of the Buffalo Bills family and deserves the honor. I just don't understand it- no disrespect to Hansen, but it is discouraging. The old players have to be remembered before it is too late.

Hansen was good player. I don't have any problem with him being on the wall. There is a class of players who were quite good but not Hall of Fame material that deserve recognition, such as Darryl Talley, Hansen, Mike Stratton, Tasker and Andre Reed (many think Tasker and REed actually ARE hall of fame material) and a slew of others, so its nice to take notice of them.

Phil was a great player. A great team player. The issue is the wall is Ralph's personal play thing and is not equated to players who deserve to be on it or not. It is stricly who Ralph thinks was kind to him during his stay here.

There are guys that rightly belong up there before Phil. That is irrelevant in Ralph's eyes.