Small stakes survivor pool

ieatcrayonz

Dudes,

I know a lot about football but we can all use help from time to time. I entered a small survivor pool this year. Entry fee per team was $10,000 and there are 552 people in it as of now. I don't care about the money so if you help me win I will split it with you and other helpers. It is winner take all and there are usually a few late entries so it will probably end up around $6 million.

Anyway, I want to win for pride. There are a few guys in this thing that think they are the cat's meow. I also funded Beerboy with an entry so I could mock him later. Don't help him or you won't share in my winnings. If he starts a thread all whiny about how he needs to pay for his spiral vaginitis treatments just don't help him. I would like to see him out in week one. Maybe you can sabotage him into picking the Bengals or something.

Anyway, who do you guys think I should go with in week 1? I was thinking Cards, but am actually a little wary of teams first week with a new coach so the Panthers scare me a little. Any better ideas? Let me know and hopefully we can all win. I will keep you up to date.

P.S. If more than one person goes through the whole season there are all sorts of weird rules. If it is a two way tie only it is a simple split.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the team most likely to win this weekend is obviously New England. I'm gathering, however, the obvious choice may not be the best strategy in the long run - you don't want to use up the best teams early in the season since you can only pick each team once. So yeah, Cards or Browns.

$10K x 552 entries is a small pool? Good luck!

To me, the team most likely to win this weekend is obviously New England. I'm gathering, however, the obvious choice may not be the best strategy in the long run - you don't want to use up the best teams early in the season since you can only pick each team once. So yeah, Cards or Browns.

$10K x 552 entries is a small pool? Good luck!

Hate that strategy, never save teams for later since you need to win every week anyway. I like SD over Minnesota on the road.

Dudes,

I know a lot about football but we can all use help from time to time. I entered a small survivor pool this year. Entry fee per team was $10,000 and there are 552 people in it as of now. I don't care about the money so if you help me win I will split it with you and other helpers. It is winner take all and there are usually a few late entries so it will probably end up around $6 million.

Anyway, I want to win for pride. There are a few guys in this thing that think they are the cat's meow. I also funded Beerboy with an entry so I could mock him later. Don't help him or you won't share in my winnings. If he starts a thread all whiny about how he needs to pay for his spiral vaginitis treatments just don't help him. I would like to see him out in week one. Maybe you can sabotage him into picking the Bengals or something.

Anyway, who do you guys think I should go with in week 1? I was thinking Cards, but am actually a little wary of teams first week with a new coach so the Panthers scare me a little. Any better ideas? Let me know and hopefully we can all win. I will keep you up to date.

P.S. If more than one person goes through the whole season there are all sorts of weird rules. If it is a two way tie only it is a simple split.

Looks like we are in the same pool. I am going with Cincy for sure! Good luck to you as well.

I'd take NYG over Wash in week 1.

In a survivor pool, I take sure things in the first 2 weeks and wait for things to settle down before getting a little more bold. With almost no preseason I will adhere to that strategy more than ever, as I expect some weird stuff to happen. I also stay away from Monday night games, which tend to be less predictable, and most divisional games which in most cases are closely contended*. Lastly, never pick the Bills. Every time I do I get burned.

*Yes I realize I picked a divisional game week 1, but its Rex Grossman.

Yes, hate picking interdivision games, not saying I think Pats will lose, but think better bet of winning is SD.

Arizona over Panthers is the safest pick in a very confused week

I like Arizona over Panthers, dont think Cam is ready to lead just yet, no ota, no camp, he needs more time.

In my pool, $10 not $10k, I took Houston to beat the No-Manning Colts. They beat them opening day @ Houston last year with Manning.

Other teams I considered:

New England-but they always seem to play their worst on opening day (Remember a McKelvin fumble away from losing to Trent Edwards & the Bills 2 years ago and that 31-0 opener in 2003)and they're on the road in Miami where they've been upset before.

Arizona-Carolina starts a rookie QB behind an O-line that is picking up opening day starters off the street a week before the game.

Tennessee-playing against Jacksonville, who just fired their QB in a cost cutting move and will be using a stopgap at QB until the rookie who will be finishing the season as the starter is ready.

Detroit-They're going to surprise a lot of people this year, starting with Tampa Bay & their fans.

Hate that strategy, never save teams for later since you need to win every week anyway. I like SD over Minnesota on the road.

The problem with Chaargers is Norv Turner can't motivate that team till week 6 when they're 3-3 or 2-4. They get out of the gate like a 3 legged horse.

I also took Cards in my pool.

Edited by qwksilver

I love these things because half the people pick road teams half the time, which is pretty insane given the format. Giants @Wash - are you serious?

"Don't pick division games" is a complete myth. There is no statistical evidence that backs up the theory that upsets are more likely to happen. Obviously the Chargers are more likely to get upset by Oakland than Buffalo in a given year because they play the former team about 6x more often. It's just that nobody points it out when Miami wins @Green Bay.

I love these things because half the people pick road teams half the time, which is pretty insane given the format. Giants @Wash - are you serious?

"Don't pick division games" is a complete myth. There is no statistical evidence that backs up the theory that upsets are more likely to happen. Obviously the Chargers are more likely to get upset by Oakland than Buffalo in a given year because they play the former team about 6x more often. It's just that nobody points it out when Miami wins @Green Bay.

So a quarter of the time the away team is chosen? Very compelling.

Totally serious. Would you like to put some money on the skins?

Proved my point for me. Teams get up to play their division rival. They know them well. They see them twice a year. They hate their division foes. Its tough to beat the same team twice in 16 games. Is there any statistical evidence that upsets are less likely in interdivision games?

So a quarter of the time the away team is chosen? Very compelling.

Totally serious. Would you like to put some money on the skins?

Proved my point for me. Teams get up to play their division rival. They know them well. They see them twice a year. They hate their division foes. Its tough to beat the same team twice in 16 games. Is there any statistical evidence that upsets are less likely in interdivision games?

More than a quarter of the time. Reading is hard.

I generally don't wager straight up on 3pt underdogs for a variety of reasons: mainly because I don't like flushing $ down the toilet. I can get +3 if I want it. There are plenty of teams every week that I wouldn't bet on straight up that I also wouldn't pick against in a survivor pool. So that actually just proves that your point is retarded.

In 2011, players do not hate their division foes. I'm sure you can find quotes of a Giants player saying he hates the Eagles because he wanted to pander to the fans. If you think 30yrs from now there's still going to be bitterness between rivals like there is today between the 70's Steelers & Raiders you are just fooling yourself.

I didn't say there was evidence that indicated upsets are less likely in division games, so I don't know why you're asking.

Edited by BuffOrange

DET over TB

DET is healthy and ready to prove they are a legit team. TB is not gonna be what they were last year. Take them early in season while they are healthy. Save the top tier teams for later in the season.

Edited by BillsInMaine