Best Bills Game Ever

Astrobot

I think 10-7 against Denver in the Jan. 1992 (1991 season) AFC Title game deserves consideration, as well.

One of my all tine favorites. That was a defensive battle of epic proportions. If you like defense that was the game, alot of 3 and out and punts, but it was like who ever scores is going to win type game.

yep 51-3 will always be my favorite bills game of all time.

With the "comeback " a very close second. Beating the Dolphins with Marino in Miami for the AFC championship was very special game in my heart.

Love that game, becuase i was there. A classic Marino, Kelly battle. I remeber saying who are these young LB's. Patton and Maddox shined in that game shutting down that mighty mite Mark Higgs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the best game ever by the Bills was the AFC Championship that advanced the Bills to their first Super Bowl. The Raidahs scored first on a field goal, then the Bills answered with 51 unanswered points. :thumbsup:

Kelly's no-huddle, the 12th man, and the 0-degree weather (snow warnings of up to a foot of snow) got to the Raiders, who had to run a base defense all afternoon. Top that this season, Bills!

youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

Yes, since the Bills have not won a Super Bowl, that is my favorite game in whooping the Raiders to get to the 1st Super Bowl.

My favorite game day experience was the '02 game against the Dolphins. The teams were not great, but the atmosphere was unbelievable. I was in the nosebleeds with my loser neighbor who offered me a ticket in exchange for a ride to the game. Some time in the second quarter I could see a storm moving in, and when it got to the stadium it was like a tsunami of snow. The field was covered in minutes and 70,000 people were singing 'let it snow' at the tops of their lungs. The Dolphins looked stunned, and soon, disengaged.

R. Williams lit the Bills up for over 200 yards but Ray Lucas had something like 7 or 8 turn overs, looked pathetic. The game was not close and the stand out play of the game for me happened before the snow. Seau was coming on a blitz and jumped over the line. Travis Henry caught him mid air and body slammed him, ending his day. Loser neighbor got lost after the game because all of the cars looked the same under the almost foot of snow that had fallen. He hitch hiked home, and i had to ride back home with his equally loser friend by myself.

Second favorite game was the '03 opener vs. the Pats. I was living in N.E. at the time and called the win and was able to act like a dick Boston fan, giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Naturally I am more grateful for those classic games of the early 90's but, these two games were personal for me.

Great game but the temp was not that cold. You are confusing it with other Raider games in Buffalo. Plus the Bills scored first that game on a Lofton TD.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199101200buf.htm

You're both right in a sense. It was the first game I ever went to and it was indeed 0 degrees (but only if you speak in celsius) and the snow began to fall as we counted down the final minute to the Super Bowl. The next day, however, was 11 degrees with a hearty wind and I sadly would not have had the fortitude for that. Amazing game though.

That Houston game was blacked out if I remember right. We were at a bar that was showing it and people who had left the game started showing up.

Those games with the 12th man were so electric.

The closet I felt it since then was maybe that Dallas Monday night heartbreak a few years ago

My favorite was September 7th, 1980, when they beat the fish in the season opener, stopping the blood letting of the 11 year losing streak.

Next favorite was the 51-3 shellacking over the Raiders.

Edited by Phil Hansen Forever

Impossible to single out one game-

The stretch from 1988 thru the 1999 is a 12 year run that was really special-

Only two season with losing records - almost all my good Buffalo Bills memories are over this stretch

Looking back the 1989-1993 teams not only won games they crushed teams

The last 11 season 9 losing seasons

Still some great memories at the time -Flutie, Moulds, Peerless Price, Bledsoe, Quinn Early, Alex Van Pelt, Jay Reimersma - but these were always on losing teams.

Looking back how great a head coach double G would be once he left here, never another sniff

Mularkey was suppose to be a great mistake to let him go, never another sniff

Then DJ takes over with Camp Jauron - players loved him and not getting beat up at practice

I feel we've have the best combo gm + coach in place since Butler Phillips and in year two of a three year build we are close. I hate when people group Nix and Gailey in on the 11 year drought- they have been there for one year. We let Evans go - I liked Lee but he doesn't fit the crossing routes and the body off the defender route Gailey like to run. The other vet release is Hangartner who was over powered by DT nearly every game. Fitz will make the line look good enough -

I'm ready for some new memories moving forward

AFC Championship Game versus the Raiders. The Raiders taking a timeout in an attempt to slow down the Bills first drive. The Bills scoring TDs at will. Listening to the stadium chanting "Thank You Bills" for the entire fourth quarter. Watching lifetime Bills Fans crying tears of joy as the last two minutes ticked off the clock. Nobody wanting to leave the stadium after the final gun sounded. Those were the days.

My favorite was September 1980, when they beat the fish in the season opener, stopping the blood letting of the 11 year losing streak.Next favorite was the 51-3 shellacking over the Raiders.

I wonder if it's going to feel the same way the next time we beat the Patriots.

If I recall correctly, there were NO punts in that 49'ers game. That must be a pretty rare thing....

I believe that this is the ONLY game in NFL history with no punts.

You're both right in a sense. It was the first game I ever went to and it was indeed 0 degrees (but only if you speak in celsius) and the snow began to fall as we counted down the final minute to the Super Bowl. The next day, however, was 11 degrees with a hearty wind and I sadly would not have had the fortitude for that. Amazing game though.

The coldest game I went to was Christmas 1993. Stats say temp was 9 but when I woke up that morning it was -2 with wind chill of -25.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199312260buf.htm

I recall reading a column by Norman Chad in the old defunct sports daily "The National" predicting the Raiders would slaughter the Bills.

PTR

I loved The National. I still have the inaugural New York edition.

And I'll throw in a mention for the 44-34 playoff win over Miami in the snow to put them in AFCC vs Oakland. A huge win against our most hated rival.

Edited by KD in CT

Thinking home games only:

Best ever - Bills 51 Raiders 3 - no better way to advance to your first Super Bowl, the whole second half was like a huge party

Got to be a close 2nd - Comeback game vs the Oilers (was not in attendance)

1990 - back to back comebacks mentioned above vs Broncos and Raiders, the 44-34 win vs the Dolphins in the playoffs

1987 - Win over Broncos in Cornelius Bennett's first game (he sacked Elway real early) signaling the Bills might be good sometime soon

1987 - Bills 27 Dolphins 0 (I think) - late in the year proving the Bills probably were gonna be good sometime soon

1988 - season opening win vs Vikings - Thurman's first game, started us on track to a 12-4 record and AFC East title

1988 - OT win vs Jets to clinch AFC East - Fred Smerlas blocks Jets last second FG attempt, Norwood wins it, Fandemonium - goal posts go down

For exciting losses:

Cowboys Monday nighter a few years ago

Loss to Rich Gannon and Raiders with Bledsoe and Bills going toe to toe for 3 quarters before falling off in the 4th, lost maybe 49-31

The coldest game I went to was Christmas 1993. Stats say temp was 9 but when I woke up that morning it was -2 with wind chill of -25.

The coldest game I attended was the last game of the season in 1975 vs the Vikes in Buffalo. It was -11 and the game was played in a blizzard. Of course, the Bills lost and I had left my lights on and the battery was dead. A friendly Vikings fan gave me a jump after rubbing my nose in the loss.