Keys to Week 1

eschej13

If there's one added bonus in the eventuality that Palko starts, Wannstedt should be very familiar with his former starter at Pitt.

Good pickup there, I didn't know Wanny had a history with Palko.

There are a lot of calls for blitzing here, but remember we will start Dwan, Dareus, Kyle and Merriman as the four linemen, and if we can get pressure with rushing them ONLY, then we won't we have to blitz as much and we will win this game.

Remember you have two guys that have been probowlers, and the defensive rookie of the year in Dareus (sorry Von) and Edwards is no slouch either. That leaves our 3 remaining backers to roam without the 300 pounders in their face like we usually have. (just TE's and maybe a second blocking back, which is advantage Buffalo)

In the 3-4 (when we actually play it) you still have the unknown 4th and possibly 5th rusher to confuse them. Kelsay may rush and Merriman drops, vice versa, or they send them both if they can't get there with 4. This still leaves us in position for the KC draws plays, delays and short TE middle stuff that we've always struggled with because of weak pocket pushing.

I agree with posters saying stuff the box and stop the run, but that also leaves you susceptible for the long ball. Getting pressure with 4 is the defensive coordinators dream, and those first few series will likely tell the tale for the kind of day we're going to have in Arrowhead.

I think this will be a close one but the Bills can definitely pull this off. The 7 point line is a gift to Bills betters.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams, Merriman, Dareus. Simple as that. If all healthy, these three will cause fits for the Chiefs, be in their backfield, and disrupt the flow of their offense. The Chiefs will search for ways to dismantle this trio to little avail.

They are, Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Good pickup there, I didn't know Wanny had a history with Palko.

There are a lot of calls for blitzing here, but remember we will start Dwan, Dareus, Kyle and Merriman as the four linemen, and if we can get pressure with rushing them ONLY, then we won't we have to blitz as much and we will win this game.

Remember you have two guys that have been probowlers, and the defensive rookie of the year in Dareus (sorry Von) and Edwards is no slouch either. That leaves our 3 remaining backers to roam without the 300 pounders in their face like we usually have. (just TE's and maybe a second blocking back, which is advantage Buffalo)

In the 3-4 (when we actually play it) you still have the unknown 4th and possibly 5th rusher to confuse them. Kelsay may rush and Merriman drops, vice versa, or they send them both if they can't get there with 4. This still leaves us in position for the KC draws plays, delays and short TE middle stuff that we've always struggled with because of weak pocket pushing. I agree with posters saying stuff the box and stop the run, but that also leaves you susceptible for the long ball. Getting pressure with 4 is the defensive coordinators dream, and those first few series will likely tell the tale for the kind of day we're going to have in Arrowhead.

I think this will be a close one but the Bills can definitely pull this off. The 7 point line is a gift to Bills betters.

I think Barnett is huge here as well.

Williams, Merriman, Dareus. Simple as that. If all healthy, these three will cause fits for the Chiefs, be in their backfield, and disrupt the flow of their offense. The Chiefs will search for ways to dismantle this trio to little avail.

WMD, nice!

WMD, nice!

Imagine if the Bills D was freaking incredible and there were some sweet t-shirts made up of that. I remember I had this old Biscuit t-shirt from back in the day w/ some 90s graphic on it that was amazing. It had some weird slogan too.

I can't even begin to describe how good it feels to be actually discussing gameplans and a REAL upcoming game.

I think the case no matter who is starting at QB for KC is stop the run and take care of the ball on Offense. I'd force either QB to have to beat you but especially in Palko's case.

Stop the run. KC is a running team. Stop the Run and then rush the passer.

now, enough said.

This! Really, it is as simple as stop the run.

Oh, wow...that's a great nickname.

How cool would it be if they an actually live up to that?

Only problem is....if they don't....then we will hear "didn't find any WMD" jokes. :wallbash:

Also, which one is:

Nuclear?

Biological?

Chemical?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

That is freaking awesome.

This! Really, it is as simple as stop the run.

Oh, wow...that's a great nickname.

How cool would it be if they an actually live up to that?

Only problem is....if they don't....then we will hear "didn't find any WMD" jokes. :wallbash:

Also, which one is:

Nuclear?

Biological?

Chemical?

Neural disruptors for opposing QBs. B-)

This is great. I hope it catches on

From WalterFootball, here:

I didn't even think Todd Haley could be this stupid. Haley didn't take the first three games of the preseason seriously, so he went all out in Week 4, playing Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe well into the third quarter. This brilliant plan of his backfired; Tony Moeaki is out for the year, while Matt Cassel is in danger of missing this game with cracked ribs. I've been bashing Haley for years, but he's just making it too easy now.

Cassel has a chance to play, but the Chiefs are screwed either way. If he suits up, he won't be 100 percent and will consequently hurt the team. If he's out, the dreadful Tyler Palko will start. Palko is left-handed, so this would mean that Barry Richardson would be his blind-side protector. For those of you unfamiliar with Richardson, he's perhaps the worst starting lineman in the NFL. He was so bad against Green Bay's scrubs in the preseason finale that he had to karate chop a defender to keep him from getting to Cassel, which drew a 10-yard holding penalty.

Kansas City's only hope is if Jamaal Charles breaks a few long runs. That's certainly a possibility, but the Bills have revamped their defensive front. Marcell Dareus has been a stud this preseason, and both he and Kyle Williams will help fortify Buffalo's run defense.

BUFFALO OFFENSE: The Chiefs were going to be inept on offense even before the Cassel injury because of Charlie Weis' departure. The defense, however, is another story.

Romeo Crennel is a defensive genius; he should have no problem figuring how to stop Ryan Fitzpatrick. Buffalo's offensive front is very questionable, so Tamba Hali and company should be able to accumulate several sacks in this contest.

The Bills won't be able to run the ball either. Kansas City was just 20th against the rush last year, but newly acquired nose tackle Kelly Gregg will help immensely.

RECAP: It seems like Haley always finds a way to screw me. I LOVED the Bills +6.5 against the overrated Chiefs. With the Cassel injury, however, this spread has dropped to +4.5, or even +4 in some places.

I still like the Bills to cover (and even win straight up) but we've lost our spread value, as well as the opportunity to bet on the Six and Six Rule. More on that later.

The Psychology. Edge: None.

No psychological edge found.

The Vegas. Edge: Bills.

No one likes the Bills? I'm shocked.

Percentage of money on Kansas City: 68% (5,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: None.

Chiefs are 20-6 ATS in season openers at home since 1971.

Chiefs are 11-21 ATS at home since 2007 (5-4 in 2010).

Opening Line: Chiefs -6.5.

Opening Total: 42.5.

Weather: .

Week 1 NFL Pick: Bills 16, Chiefs 13

On defense stop the run and create turnovers. KC will have a hard time beating anyone with their passing game. Our offense will have a slow start, even if they get their act together later. Winning early games will all be on the defense. I don't even bother having keys for the offense at this point, with a shoddy Oline, unproven #2 WR and #2 RB, why bother asking for what they can't deliver. Scoring points will come off turnovers

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I love the WMD nickname. Sweet.

The key to the game is obviously to stop the KC run game, so I won't even mention it.

My keys to the game are:

1] Stop the KC run game.

2] See #1

I'm excited to see our defense in this game, on the road, in a tough stadium, against a top running team. I think we are going to do well. I really like how Edwards and Wanny lined up the starting D in preseason. It's going to be very tough for the Chiefs to game plan against us.

The guys I expect to surprise are Andra Davis, Carrington, and yes, Kelsay.

I'm worried about passes to backs, especially and obviously Jamal Charles. But I expect Merriman and Kyle Williams to be a force. They could and should make life miserable for Cassel.

On offense, obviously the OL is scary. But I think with the entire offense at his disposal for the first time, we're going to have a bunch of nice wrinkles. Bills fans are going to love Brad Smith, and he's going to have a big impact on the game, especially on short yardage. I hope Gailey uses at the goalline. CJ is going to get the ball, too, as will Roscoe. I'm not sure we're going to be able to run much, because the line is so disjointed right now. But we should be able to move the ball, and this offense could be fun to watch.

I think we squeak out a win.

hold them to under 100 yards rushing

with this team....if we shut down their running game....we win it doesnt have to be flawless to beat a team like KC but we cant have them running the ball down our throats

KC is a team that will primarily run then pass, so I think the Bills can still win by keeping the rushing number to half of what they gave up last year--if they keep it under 150, they should win.

The 100 yard barrier will be tough in the first few games, as I expect they will have some breakdowns and give up a couple of long runs--growing pains for the D.

I think the Bills win it, but it will be a dog fight like last year.

KC is a team that will primarily run then pass, so I think the Bills can still win by keeping the rushing number to half of what they gave up last year--if they keep it under 150, they should win.

The 100 yard barrier will be tough in the first few games, as I expect they will have some breakdowns and give up a couple of long runs--growing pains for the D.

I think the Bills win it, but it will be a dog fight like last year.

Agreed that this is going to be a close game once again. Again, no one seems to have mentioned the 3rd dimension of the game...Special Teams...Can Lindell Kick in front of the Sea of Red. Will Brad Smith have any impact with the return game. Will Spiller and/or McKelvin used in the return game. What is the capability of the ST of the chiefs? Do they have a reliable kicker?