Bills claim TE Lee Smith

BillsObserver

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neufeld was like 34 other Bills TEs over the last 15 years or so. Not big, not fast, not good blocking, not good receiving. They were decent at most everything, did nothing well, and did next to nothing in the games. For a TE to be effective either he has to be a very good receiver OR a very good blocker. There are very few who can do both. But our guys never did either well. Lee Smith is huge and has potential to be a very good blocker. It remains to be seen if he can do it in the NFL on sundays but he has a chance to be a valuable cog if he can block well. I am so sick of the Ryan Neufeld Fine Stupar Royal Campbell Cieslak Euhus Shoumans we have had.

Those guys make Riemersma seem like Tony Gonzalez.

Neufeld was like 34 other Bills TEs over the last 15 years or so. Not big, not fast, not good blocking, not good receiving. They were decent at most everything, did nothing well, and did next to nothing in the games. For a TE to be effective either he has to be a very good receiver OR a very good blocker. There are very few who can do both. But our guys never did either well. Lee Smith is huge and has potential to be a very good blocker. It remains to be seen if he can do it in the NFL on sundays but he has a chance to be a valuable cog if he can block well. I am so sick of the Ryan Neufeld Fine Stupar Royal Campbell Cieslak Euhus Shoumans we have had.

So which is it? Are they not big, fast, good at receiving, good at blocking or are they decent at all of them which is what you look for in a NUMBER 3 TE with some special teams thrown in. The mistake the Bills have made is taking these guys and trying to make them #1. As 2's or 3's all of the guys you mentioned were pretty good, it's when they were pushed as 1's they didn't measure up, or were beset by injuries. The problem is that most people tend to think since the Bills don't have a Jason Witten, Antonio Gates or Dallas Clark big name type they have a sub-par TE. The fact is the Bills could of had one of those guys the past few years and we would of been complaining about lack of production from the TE because the Bills haven't properly used a TE in years.

So which is it? Are they not big, fast, good at receiving, good at blocking or are they decent at all of them which is what you look for in a NUMBER 3 TE with some special teams thrown in. The mistake the Bills have made is taking these guys and trying to make them #1. As 2's or 3's all of the guys you mentioned were pretty good, it's when they were pushed as 1's they didn't measure up, or were beset by injuries. The problem is that most people tend to think since the Bills don't have a Jason Witten, Antonio Gates or Dallas Clark big name type they have a sub-par TE. The fact is the Bills could of had one of those guys the past few years and we would of been complaining about lack of production from the TE because the Bills haven't properly used a TE in years.

IMO, we have had no production because they all sucked. We don't need a Witten or Gates, we need a TE who is either a good blocker or a good receiver. We haven't had one. Not one.

Chandler has some talent, more it seems than any of the aforementioned, but it remains to be seen if he can do it in the games. He's very big, too. If he starts getting open and catching the ball and moving the chains, Gailey and Fitz are going to go to him all the time. I'm not predicting it, it just means they don't ignore TE, and the Bills don't ignore TEs, we just haven't had any that could consistently produce.

If Stevie Johnson was a 7th round TE and not WR who exploded on the scene. Or David Nelson was a TE who showed flashes of real talent, Gailey would have spent the off season devising ways and plays and formations to get the ball to the TE.

Martin is a pedestrian back-up but doesn't suck. He used to be pretty good. All those guys we had were just marginal at best players, who again, did nothing well.

One way he could conceivably see some action as a rookie is on special teams, specifically as a long snapper. The Patriots went through a pair of long snappers last season, and Belichick hinted late last season about the possibility of finding some positional versatility at the spot — that is, is someone who could long snap and perhaps do something else instead of taking up a roster spot with such a specialized skill set.

How much I would LOVE if this guy could take over long snapping duties and free up another roster spot.

I HATE HATE HATE the whole concept of holding a roster spot for long snapper. Have never understood why each offseason teams just don't tell all their o-lineman, and anyone else remotely capable, to work on it and come to camp with some ability to do it. One of my biggest pet peeves with NFL team operations.

How much I would LOVE if this guy could take over long snapping duties and free up another roster spot.

I HATE HATE HATE the whole concept of holding a roster spot for long snapper. Have never understood why each offseason teams just don't tell all their o-lineman, and anyone else remotely capable, to work on it and come to camp with some ability to do it. One of my biggest pet peeves with NFL team operations.

According to Marv Levy, Long Snapper is THE most difficult skill to teach/coach, and when you find someone who can do it reliably, you keep him.

Now one can say what one likes about Marv as a GM, but as a coach, he seemed to know his sh*t.

If you have one OL who can actually do it decently and he goes down with injury, what then?

Keep the LS.

Long-snapping is an art. I was a long snapper, in full disclosure; a very good one (our HS kicking coach kicked for the Bengals and said I should have walked on to a D1 school). A great memory is when he would take a stick or broken 2x4 and beat it on my helmet during practice to try to get me out of sync, holding me in position for a minute or two while yelling at me or pooring cold water on me, too.

Either way, I remember a Sports Illustrated article about a long time Green Bay Packers snapper who was considered the best of all time. The Giants snapper, Tuck was it? He was snapping for a long time and was considered clutch and lost it. It is an extremely stressful position. You are looking at an upside down world with the shoulder pads digging in your chest and at your throat. God forbid the kicker milks the clock or they try to draw the defense offside because you'll spend another 15 more seconds stuck like this - a coiled up riffle ready to fire in a fluid motion then get some defender to smack the crap out of your helmet. You had a split second to get back upright before a defender comes at you hard, even when the rules said defenders couldn't touch LS.

Your muscle memory kicks in every time you don't focus on it; you get rain or moisture on that pigskin and you cannot snap it at all! Snapping is something that most people will not understand - the ability and the pressure are misunderstood.

According to Marv Levy, Long Snapper is THE most difficult skill to teach/coach, and when you find someone who can do it reliably, you keep him.

Agreed.

I fell in to long-snapping the first week I played organized football. Kids were trying it out and it looked like something I could do so I did. I had played aroudn doing it before and I was the only one who could get a spiral as a 6th grader - and I just developed it over time Go watch some HS games, you'll find teams with a kicker or punter but no long snapper. I remember playing these teams; they'd have two different guys, one for field goals one for punts. One school didn't even have a long snapper in junior high that we played. Center snapped it to the QB, who pitched it to the punter!

Edited by jboyst62

And if your long snapper goes down with an injury, what then????????

I call BS on the whole long snapper issue. It's ridiculous to me that out of a group of 53 of the most premiere athletes in the world, you couldn't find one that could snap the ball back to a holder. To me the issue is that many/most reasonable candidates on a roster have never been forced to learn to do it.

And if your long snapper goes down with an injury, what then????????

I call BS on the whole long snapper issue. It's ridiculous to me that out of a group of 53 of the most premiere athletes in the world, you couldn't find one that could snap the ball back to a holder. To me the issue is that many/most reasonable candidates on a roster have never been forced to learn to do it.

Jasper was a kicker in HS. Kent Hull practiced at QB. We have a few guys on our roster now who have played QB. I get what you're saying and I am sure some of them have snapped before at previous levels of play - but I would rather have them focus on their position rather then snapping. In a pinch I am sure we have several guys who can snap - I know Hangman was able to snap.

IMO, we have had no production because they all sucked. We don't need a Witten or Gates, we need a TE who is either a good blocker or a good receiver. We haven't had one. Not one.

Chandler has some talent, more it seems than any of the aforementioned, but it remains to be seen if he can do it in the games. He's very big, too. If he starts getting open and catching the ball and moving the chains, Gailey and Fitz are going to go to him all the time. I'm not predicting it, it just means they don't ignore TE, and the Bills don't ignore TEs, we just haven't had any that could consistently produce.

If Stevie Johnson was a 7th round TE and not WR who exploded on the scene. Or David Nelson was a TE who showed flashes of real talent, Gailey would have spent the off season devising ways and plays and formations to get the ball to the TE.

Martin is a pedestrian back-up but doesn't suck. He used to be pretty good. All those guys we had were just marginal at best players, who again, did nothing well.

I can't disagree with anything in the above post. That said, I'd like to point out another factor which has contributed to the Bills' traditional lack of production at the TE position. The offensive line! If your OTs are mediocre at best, you'll often need to keep TEs in to help them block. If the Bills had OTs who could consistently win one-on-one battles against DLs, it would free up the TEs to make plays as pass receivers.

You hit the nail on the head about the Bills' traditional lack of talent at the TE position. Maybe one of the reasons they haven't pursued TE talent more aggressively is the thought that TE may be a non-critical position if the TEs are just there to help conceal the shortcomings of the OTs.