Timing of cuts unfair?

ieatcrayonz

I thought the final cuts had to be in today by Noon. It is past noon and they haven't been made so maybe I was off a bit.

Anyway is this really fair? If the Bills and other East Coast teams make their cuts on time it will give the west coast teams 3 hours to review them before making their cuts.

Let's say the 9ers were going to cut a linebacker and keep a tackle. All of a sudden they see that the Patriots have cut a tackle they like better. The 9ers can now adjust and keep the linebacker and get rid of the tackle. A lot of assembling a team is information and it seems unfair that some teams have more info than others.

If I were the Bills, Pat, Jets etc. I would just not make my cuts until 3 and pay the fine.

Bills are practicing first today, then making cuts. That's why it has been quiet so far. (per Tim Graham)

They will still have to meet the earlier deadline though.

I think this is simply an arcane rule and should be changed. Think about it. Years ago there was not all of this electronic media but now there is a strong set of sources that are quick. 3 hours used to be a really short time and info wouldn't get to teams like the 9ers and Raiders. Now it takes about a minute.

They will still have to meet the earlier deadline though.

I think this is simply an arcane rule and should be changed. Think about it. Years ago there was not all of this electronic media but now there is a strong set of sources that are quick. 3 hours used to be a really short time and info wouldn't get to teams like the 9ers and Raiders. Now it takes about a minute.

That's a good point. I think that back in the 50s and 60s, teams would have to either wait for the newspaper the next day, or make a series of local calls because the owners were too cheap to pay long distance. So even if the Raiders had a spy in Buffalo, it would take several dozen phone calls and a couple hours for the cuts to be relayed back to Oakland. No advantage there. Especially since the message probably decayed over the course of all those telephone calls. It wouldn't surprise me if Al Davis once put in a waiver claim on Jack Kemp, when in fact it was Johnny Camper who got cut.

That's a good point. I think that back in the 50s and 60s, teams would have to either wait for the newspaper the next day, or make a series of local calls because the owners were too cheap to pay long distance. So even if the Raiders had a spy in Buffalo, it would take several dozen phone calls and a couple hours for the cuts to be relayed back to Oakland. No advantage there. Especially since the message probably decayed over the course of all those telephone calls. It wouldn't surprise me if Al Davis once put in a waiver claim on Jack Kemp, when in fact it was Johnny Camper who got cut.

I don't know anything about that but am wondering about Johnny Camper's demeanor. Was it generally happy?

How does this impact the Cards because Arizona never goes to daylight savings time. Does it help them or hurt them?

Awesome sarcasm or :wallbash: , I am not quite sure which. If the former, I applaud you. If the latter, I fear for your long term wellbeing.

But since we all know that all teams have their deadline at the exact same second today, with no advantages one team from another, we can digress about time zones.

I'm always amazed how Newfoundland and India among others have half hour offsets from others, which is funny especially for India, considering that level of precision, yet there is only one time zone for the whole country. And it is amazing that eastern Poland to the furthest western beaches of Spain is in the same time zone. Really big difference in what a 7am commute to work is like, and definitely a factor in why the Spanish eat dinner so late (because it really isn't late solar time, it is just late on the clock). Also interesting that China has only one time zone. Fortunately most of our junk is made in the east, otherwise think of the poor guys in the west who would have to check in for their 6am to midnight slave labor shift three or four hours before the sun rises.

Okay, back to the Bills, I don't think we get any shocking cuts today, and I think Levi goes to the PS while Thigpen remains the #2.