Jasper as ILB??

D521646

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Japsers only job if he makes this team is to take up space.

If he is going to grow into any role I would like to see him become a presence in goaline and 3rd/short scenarios.

I would also like to see Fitz hand it off to him in the fourth quarter of a Super Bowl when we win it.

Ah.. Skepticism.. What a shock. Look he's not an everydown linebacker, apparently people can't read? :)

Anyway, try and stop a 400 pound man with a motor if he has 3 - 4 steps to get going? I don't see how you stop him? It's not like he will drop back into coverage.. Sheesh..

Tim-

Dude...I hate to break it to you but he is not a "ANYTIME" linebacker

Tell me you scored some of the good weed before you posted this

I really think he will be fine on the defensive line with a little experience. If I were going to move him I think I might try him at tackle instead of Levitre. He played offensive tackle in college (yeah yeah...Bethel)but he is a very gifted athlete for a big man and might make the transition. Overall I think we are wise keeping him where he is, though. I have hopes he will develop there.

The fact that he has much to learn is a good thing for the Bills, because it means other teams are less likely to clear out a roster spot for Jasper, and the Bills can focus on helping him learn the game. If he showed too much promise too soon, they might get nothing for their investment here as someone hungrier snatched him up. They might already have decided he isn't worth a practice squad spot, but I'm hoping they will. He certainly has some athletic gifts and freakish size.

For now, it's not a bad problem to be so deep that a project player goes to the PS, where he should be.

The role you projected Jasper playing in is far from being an ILB. Clearly football knowledge isn't your strong suit...

hehe.. Well if he's lined up 3 - 4 feet behind the NT what esle would he be, a safety? LOL

Tim-

Wow, you clearly don't get it. Any QB in the NFL will see Jasper standing behind the NT and know immediately that he is coming straight up the middle and promptly hot route a WR to where Jasper was. It's simple football knowledge that again, you clearly are deficient in.

You really fancy yourself a gifted fella don't you?? We should hire YOU to think for all of us, nitwit. What would the hot route corner be doing while this run-fre WR was jumping into Jaspers "spot"... Gawd, how old are you?

Tim-

What does he do if the opposition <gasp> passes </gasp> and he's responsible for the RB or TE?

Since when is a rusher, pass or run, responsible for a TE? If he's rushing up the middle, his responsibility is for anything running up the middle, or he's responsible for causing mayhem up the middle splitting the offensive blocking scheme.. Is it just me, or are some people here completely unoriginal when it comes to football schemes??

Tim-

From what I saw on Sat night, Jasper was the 2nd string NG.

KW and Dareus seemed to rotate between DE and NG, with KW playing there more often. But when the twos came in, I saw Jasper at NG and Troup at DE to start, then Jasper came out (needing a breather) and Troup went to NG. Then a few snaps later Jasper came back in and Troupe came out.

Obvoiusly we are playing guys at multiple spots, but it looks like we will keep 3 NGs on the roster, with Troup and KW being able to play DE and doing it fairly often

Edited by Thoner7

Isn't this the same as, you are driving your car. There is a tree in front of you. Do you: A) Drive into the Tree or B) Drive Around the Tree?

If the play call for the opposing team was a dive, AND they did not have audibles in their playbook AND they had no timeouts AND they never played football before then your theory might work.

Don't you folks get it? The point is causing the audible. Now why would you suspect a defensive coordinator "might" want to force the other team into doing that? :)

Tim-

Since when is a rusher, pass or run, responsible for a TE? If he's rushing up the middle, his responsibility is for anything running up the middle, or he's responsible for causing mayhem up the middle splitting the offensive blocking scheme.. Is it just me, or are some people here completely unoriginal when it comes to football schemes??

Tim-

So, do you think we should try him as an ILB, or a splitter-up-the-middler rusher? Why not just bring in a Sumo wrestler to play this role or a strong midget little person who could be thrown over the line at the QB or RB as soon as the ball is snapped?

Edited by Matt in KC

No, he needs to focus on NT and not waste time at LB, plus teams would see him there and and just run around him, just not going to work and a bad idea. :thumbdown:

Another person who can't read? Look, the OP was not intended to suggest Jasper could play ILB on every down, only a defensive scheme every so often. By scheming, you force the offense to adjust, and by doing so, and by adding the middle splitting threat, you reduce the plays the offense can attack you with, thereby increasing your success on defense BY shortening the field..

Please everyone READ, but not just the words, try to comprehend the words, and what they mean.. :)

Tim-

So, do you think we should try him as an ILB, or a splitter-up-the-middler rusher? Why not just bring in a Sumo wrestler to play this role or a strong midget little person who could be thrown over the line at the QB or RB as soon as the ball is snapped?

I like the little guy idea, but not sure if it's legal in the NFL.. :)

Tim-

I think the best way to get Jasper on the team is to get him proficient enough at a single position that he can play at the NFL level. It's bizarre to recommend any position will get him there faster than one he's already played.

And yes, I think it would be great if we had a big strong run-plugger on our defence. But really, he's got a better chance of making the team as an offensive lineman than ILB, and the best chance of all getting better at his current position.

Why start over? (This is rhetorical.)

I am a big Jasper fan. I like his attitude, size and great athleticism. But even I have to admit he has some development to do. I say put him on the practice squad and counter offer when and if someone jumps on him. Look, all the teams have the same issues we do. They will look at Jasper's tape and see that he is a work in progress.

This is pretty ridiculous, and the OP telling everybody to re-read his foolishness and take it seriously only exacerbates that ridiculousness.

Given:

1. Jasper is very large and strong, but has bad technique. He has problems getting low.

2. It takes a long time to get something that big in motion, and once it is in motion it doesn't change direction well.

If it's a pass, the line will be able to get lower. Cut block that big MF. You don't meet somebody that large head to head. Or call a roll out, and he won't catch them. God forbid it's a screen.

If it's a run, he's not going to get that big body of his very far forward before the OL reaches him. All you're doing is opening running lanes by starting him further back, and giving the OL better angles before they meet him.

Please everyone READ, but not just the words, try to comprehend the words, and what they mean.. :)

I think what many people just don't understand is that freakish size + some athleticism doesn't necessarily translate to production on the football field. Jasper was always a long shot to make the team, and after watching him play, it's quite clear that his home will be the practice squad.

Look, everyone likes to root for the underdog, and I certainly was cheering him on 100%. But right now the guy has no business being on the field or the 53-man roster (not even for goal line stands). He is raw - so maybe he can be molded into a NT someday, but right now he cannot beat a 3rd string guard 1 on 1.

C'mon man.. Are you trying to dumb-down the board?

:wallbash:

I've been a lurker here (until recently) for about 10 years, read tens of thousands of posts and thought i have heard/seen it all...that being said, I don't think that's possible.

Well then, please explain to him why it would be a bad idea to at least try it in the last pre-season game? Your response says nothing (other than you disagree with him for unspecified reasons). If you have nothing intelligent to say, why bother to post. Your post is dumbing-down the board! :wallbash:

dude, you're either joking, trolling or 11 years old

This is pretty ridiculous, and the OP telling everybody to re-read his foolishness and take it seriously only exacerbates that ridiculousness.

Given:

1. Jasper is very large and strong, but has bad technique. He has problems getting low.

2. It takes a long time to get something that big in motion, and once it is in motion it doesn't change direction well.

If it's a pass, the line will be able to get lower. Cut block that big MF. You don't meet somebody that large head to head. Or call a roll out, and he won't catch them. God forbid it's a screen.

If it's a run, he's not going to get that big body of his very far forward before the OL reaches him. All you're doing is opening running lanes by starting him further back, and giving the OL better angles before they meet him.

So when a corner or safety rush off the edge, what happens? Dude, do you KNOW what a "scheme" is? Think diabolical, for your reference:

noun 1. a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project. 2. an underhand plot; intrigue. 3. a visionary or impractical project. 4. a body or system of ...

Are you the same folks that beat on the Bills for their unoriginal offense, and defense and praise the likes of Ryan, and Billiberb? Just asking coz all you nay-sayers aren't thinking like defensive coordinators do. One more time for the challenged. The point of concentrating the ofenses attention on Jasper is to shorten the field of play, and limit what the offense can do. If you narrow the plays your opponent can offer up to counter the "scheme", you can better prepare the defense to anticipate. Stick to Madden folks, you all seem well suited for that kind of role playing.. :)

Tim-

I thought we were trying to get AWAY from being the laughingstock of the NFL... the OP has to be a jets fan

Like Hell, brother! Bills fan my whole life. Look the OP was simply an idea, and no amount of "you're fool", "what an idiot" type posts are going to relagate me into some corner where I sit shaking, afraid of the dark. I've been posting on serious forums for two decades, and I've seen it all. Usually, I don't even bother with folks like that UNLESS they actually have a decent response. I don't take things personal, and I have a short memory, and I always comment on a persons post and ideas, NOT whether I like their internet persona. I have a thick skin, and no goofy sports fans are going to change my way of thnking about things. That said, most of the replies today have been snide comments lacking any depth of thought. (Who'da thunk it coming from a fan site) However, there were a few attempts at real criticism, and it is this that I welcome.

Tim-

Edited by D521646

Like Hell, brother! Bills fan my whole life. Look the OP was simply an idea, and no amount of "you're fool", "what an idiot" type posts are going to relagate me into some corner where I sit shaking, afraid of the dark. I've been posting on serious forums for two decades, and I've seen it all. Usually, I don't even bother with folks like that UNLESS they actually have a decent response. I don't take things personal, and I have a short memory, and I always comment on a persons post and ideas, NOT whether I like their internet persona. I have a thick skin, and no goofy sports fans are going to change my way of thnking about things. That said, most of the replies today have been snide comments lacking any depth of thought. (Who'da thunk it coming from a fan site) However, there were a few attempts at real criticism, and it is this that I welcome.

Tim-

yeah, it isn't personal, you're right...but I think the bolded part sums up your post pretty well...

Not Tim-