Jasper as ILB??

D521646

I've been watching Jasper closely, as I'm pulling for him, but as it stands he doesn't make this team, however; Given his weaknesses thus far I note that he needs a lot of work on his hands, and foot-work. That said, I would like to see Gailey try him out on run blitz, and pass blitz packages as an ILB, standing up 2 or 3 paces back from the Nose Tackle. This way what he lacks in fundamentals can be made up with his strength in weight and size. My "guess" is that if Jasper has a 3 - 4 step run at the line, he gets in, and penetrates more easily, even if they double team him, like they have been doing. I'd like to see that experiment play out for a few snaps just to see if my instincts are correct.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.. Skepticism.. What a shock. Look he's not an everydown linebacker, apparently people can't read? :)

Anyway, try and stop a 400 pound man with a motor if he has 3 - 4 steps to get going? I don't see how you stop him? It's not like he will drop back into coverage.. Sheesh..

Tim-

Ah.. Skepticism.. What a shock. Look he's not an everydown linebacker, apparently people can't read? :)

Anyway, try and stop a 400 pound man with a motor if he has 3 - 4 steps to get going? I don't see how you stop him? It's not like he will drop back into coverage.. Sheesh..

Tim-

I like the idea. Can't hurt to experiment with it in the last pre-season game at least. That's what pre-season is for. Some people (those who posted above) must love the status-quo in Buffalo of loosing seasons year after year. It's pre-season, time to experiment. If it fails, who cares.

C'mon man.. Are you trying to dumb-down the board?

:wallbash:

Well then, please explain to him why it would be a bad idea to at least try it in the last pre-season game? Your response says nothing (other than you disagree with him for unspecified reasons). If you have nothing intelligent to say, why bother to post. Your post is dumbing-down the board! :wallbash:

He's oversized for the biggest position in football. To put him in a position which requires speed, strength and agility would just be ridiculous. If we aren't the laughing stock of the league now, we certainly would be if we put a 400 pound anchor in the middle of the field.

bodily momentum in football is not necessarily a good thing. when i was learning to play offensive line (a long, long time ago) the first thing i was taught was how to use a defensive players momentum to my advantage.

disclaimer: i never had to try using this technique against someone who weighed 375 lbs, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I like the idea. Can't hurt to experiment with it in the last pre-season game at least. That's what pre-season is for. Some people (those who posted above) must love the status-quo in Buffalo of loosing seasons year after year. It's pre-season, time to experiment. If it fails, who cares.

Thank YOU.. :)

I see no reason fundamnentally or otherwise why we could not try it out for a few snaps.. Those that are mocking the idea are just being snarky, but have provided no substance for why they think the idea sucks..

Tim-

I've been watching Jasper closely, as I'm pulling for him, but as it stands he doesn't make this team, however; Given his weaknesses thus far I note that he needs a lot of work on his hands, and foot-work. That said, I would like to see Gailey try him out on run blitz, and pass blitz packages as an ILB, standing up 2 or 3 paces back from the Nose Tackle. This way what he lacks in fundamentals can be made up with his strength in weight and size. My "guess" is that if Jasper has a 3 - 4 step run at the line, he gets in, and penetrates more easily, even if they double team him, like they have been doing. I'd like to see that experiment play out for a few snaps just to see if my instincts are correct.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

Anything is worth a thought. I would consider 'this' if it was a situation where we could guarantee the opposing team would run between the tackles. ANYTHING else happens on the play and we are essentially down a man. He could never cover and lateral pursuit would be an issue I presume (though he is a freak athletically). In other words, if the QB sees him there, he audibles to a seam route for the tight end or split back and it's game over (for that play anyway). You could 'roll' coverage to his spot to protect him but any good QB will pick that apart. If we thought Poz was slow in coverage....

bodily momentum in football is not necessarily a good thing. when i was learning to play offensive line (a long, long time ago) the first thing i was taught was how to use a defensive players momentum to my advantage.

disclaimer: i never had to try using this technique against someone who weighed 375 lbs, so take that with a grain of salt.

Finally, a good cirticism. yes, all true, but the point of middle penetration is simply that; to penetrate and split the line.

Tim-

Jasper is not doing well at all, to be honest. He is getting pushed around by smaller players. He has yet to learn the technique for putting his weight and strength to maximum effect. We all hoped he'd be better but it's a big leap from NAIA D-2 to the NFL. He still has a lot to learn. Practice squad is his best hope right now.

PTR

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

My first thought is that the idea of him playing ILB just behind the NT was absurd. But on second thought, having him play that role on 4th and 1/goal line situations and extra points may not be all that insane. Imagine the push up the middle. The long snapper would be shaking in his cleats.

Anything is worth a thought. I would consider 'this' if it was a situation where we could guarantee the opposing team would run between the tackles. ANYTHING else happens on the play and we are essentially down a man. He could never cover and lateral pursuit would be an issue I presume (though he is a freak athletically). In other words, if the QB sees him there, he audibles to a seam route for the tight end or split back and it's game over (for that play anyway). You could 'roll' coverage to his spot to protect him but any good QB will pick that apart. If we thought Poz was slow in coverage....

yes, exactly, but you folks are missing the point. The point being that now with Jasper sitting off the line in the middle, the opposing team has two options, either run left, or run right, or throw. if they throw, blowing up the middle probably a win for us, and if a run, we have speedy LB's for that contingency.

Think defensively, and strategically.

Tim-

Thank YOU.. :)

I see no reason fundamnentally or otherwise why we could not try it out for a few snaps.. Those that are mocking the idea are just being snarky, but have provided no substance for why they think the idea sucks..

Tim-

Those that are mocking the idea are mocking it because this is one of the dumbest ideas ever. No offense.

yes, exactly, but you folks are missing the point. The point being that now with Jasper sitting off the line in the middle, the opposing team has two options, either run left, or run right, or throw. if they throw, blowing up the middle probably a win for us, and if a run, we have speedy LB's for that contingency.

Think defensively, and strategically.

Tim-

Why don't we just sign Usain Bolt to be our punt returner so he can outrun everyone on the field? Or maybe he can just run a fly pattern and burn everyone? Football is supposedly that easy.