Official Bills vs. Jags Thread

For the record, I actually liked what I saw out of Spiller tonight. He hit holes decisively and did a lot more north-south style running -- good to see.

How can a smaller RB survive running North/South? That's what power backs do. Watch Spiller in college ... his success was getting outside the tackle.

And why aren't they using him as a WR or for a badly needed screen play we need to add to our play book?

This guy in college made his mark in 3 ways:

- runs outside the tackle

- receiving, both lining up as an RB for screens and a wideout for deep balls

- kick returns

Why aren't they using him this way? Greatest fear is because he can't do it at the NFL level.

Hope Im wrong ...

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a smaller RB survive running North/South? That's what power backs do. Watch Spiller in college ... his success was getting outside the tackle

I just wanted to sign in to let you know that you express your dislike in spiller in the most obnoxious possible way. Seriously, give it a rest.

How can a smaller RB survive running North/South? That's what power backs do. Watch Spiller in college ... his success was getting outside the tackle.

And why aren't they using him as a WR or for a badly needed screen play we need to add to our play book?

- kick returns

Why aren't they using him this way? Greatest fear is because he can't do it at the NFL level.

Hope Im wrong ...

In the shout box you were saying how Fred Jackson looks slow. Now you're saying you hope you're wrong about Spiller when he averaged 5 yards a carry. You are silly.

on how many carries?

Wake me when he looks like the durable multi threat weapon we can count on consistently making game changing plays he was billed as.

Easely was most positive thing on offense tonight that he can step up and become a solid 2 now that johnsons takes Evans spot at 1.

Spiller most troubling

on how many carries?

Wake me when he looks like the durable multi threat weapon we can count on consistently making game changing plays he was billed as.

Easely was most positive thing on offense tonight that he can step up and become a solid 2 now that johnsons takes Evans spot at 1.

Spiller most troubling

Who cares how many carries? WTF? 1st team only played the first half. Are you this ridiculous in person?

on how many carries?

Spiller most troubling

Willis?

Great game. Starting O looked great as did starting D. Someone, someday will explain to me the two PI calls that I saw before leaving w/ my date in the mid-third. The first made NO sense at all, unless hand checks are now pass interference. The second was almost as weak.

I know, it's preseason for the refs, too.

- kick returns

Hope Im wrong ...

This crusade is getting quite tiresome.... You have added nothing to this thread at all.

This crusade is getting quite tiresome.... You have added nothing to this thread at all.

Right On!

Great Game! First string offense looked hauntingly similar to the 08 Bills - Steelers Preseason game when smoked the Black n Golds first string D for the first half ........ and ended the season 7 and friggin 9 again

Great to see Fitz have a night like this. If I could've asked for one thing tonight it would've been success in the passing game.

I think Batten has played at a higher level than any 3-4 OLB outside Merriman. Seems like we're going with more 4-man fronts with the starters anyway. Makes sense, Dareus and K-Weezy and the rush they can bring for us seem best utilized away from the NT spot. Troup isn't ready to start right now. But the D-line looks like a strength and I can't wait to find out exactly how much better we are there.

Urbik finally looked good tonight. I saw him getting to the second level and taking linebackers out of running plays. Wood looked great and was pushing people around, it's different having a real center out there. The OTs are still concerning but I'm getting optimistic there will be room to run inside when the passing game is on.

Brad Smith isn't just fast, he isn't just adept at setting up his blocks, but he has the ability to make 'em miss in the open field, like I thought I'd see with Spiller (who appears to be improving anyway). Smith is extremely dangerous as a runner and no matter how down you are, you have to be looking forward to seeing him in this offense, under Gailey.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

on how many carries?

Spiller most troubling

Joe this sounds an aweful lot like crusading......Spiller probably looked the best he has since that game he started in preseason last year and you are looking for faults....

- He is north south running because he has to show he can un it up in there in order to get enough respect from the defense to ALLOW him to bounce it to the outside......

- They are not going to show the whole offense in pre season

- Spiller's blitz pickup was much better tonight over the Denver game

Time to give a little credit where credit is do....Fred is the feature back....CJ is the change up

- kick returns

Hope Im wrong ...

Thurman had a pretty decent career being a smaller back and playing the north south game didn't he? There's more to the N-S game than 3 yards, could of dust, and run your man over. Thurman never took the big hit, but it's not because he didn't tread where the big dogs ate. If Spiller can work that game in the same style, he will be ok.

- kick returns

Hope Im wrong ...

Ahh I hate correcting people, but I guess I need to.

Have you watched the Bills at all since spiller was on the team? ie the entire 2010 season?

1a.) He is constantly used as a screen back.

1b.) He is consistently being run off tackle and on toss sweeps (much harder to do in NFL than college)

1c.) did you miss the entire 2010 season where he returned kickoffs?

the biggest thing I will agree with you on is running a two back set and splitting him out wide or in the slot. I'd like to see a lot more of that from this team. They utilized him towards the end of last year in that role, like that 30+ yard wheel route against the Pats. They also missed one or two to him like that as well in the season.

I'm shocked by the board's turn around. A loss in pre-season and people are slitting their wrists...a win and they're planning the parade..

In fairness, not everyone was "slitting their wrists" after the 2 losses, and some have even been "planning the parade" all along...

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

STFU

JJ you must be an immediate Pigpen family member :lol: Pigpen has looked horrid, especially last night. At least when Levi got in, his 1st pass was already 100 times more accurate than Piggy. And, bonus, he didn't throw it right into the waiting hands of the opposition for another easy pick 6 :doh: