Shawne Merriman-- Team Player?

When I found out that Merriman was a huge reason why Morrison signed, I gained a new enormous respect for Shawne. This isn't the first player he's reached out to during free agency. I knew Merriman was also critical for the signing of Barnett (a huge acquisition in my opinion) but I didn't really think too much about it at the time. I just thought they were buddies and wanted to play together.

But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that Merriman is serious about winning and is serious about making the Bills a better team. He re-signed with the Bills when I'm sure he could have received a contract (sure, maybe a smaller one) with a better, contending team. He was on the sidelines for more than one occasion last year while injured, cheering his teammates on. During his first pre-season game, he played with a ferociousness that I am not accustomed to seeing from most (if any) Bills players. And now, he is bringing in coveted free agents (especially Barnett) that I doubt would have been possible with Nix and the front office alone.

Sure he has issues off the field that most people may not support, but whether he plays or is injured all year, he has already contributed more than anyone thusfar. It's refreshing to see someone take this team seriously. No whining or complaining on twitter or making media outbursts like countless players in this league. I used to despise the guy when he played for San Diego, but he has quickly become one of my favourite players on the Bills. I really hope he has a great, injury free season to resurrect his career.

When I found out that Merriman was a huge reason why Morrison signed, I gained a new enormous respect for Shawne. This isn't the first player he's reached out to during free agency. I knew Merriman was also critical for the signing of Barnett (a huge acquisition in my opinion) but I didn't really think too much about it at the time. I just thought they were buddies and wanted to play together.

But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that Merriman is serious about winning and is serious about making the Bills a better team. He re-signed with the Bills when I'm sure he could have received a contract (sure, maybe a smaller one) with a better, contending team. He was on the sidelines for more than one occasion last year while injured, cheering his teammates on. During his first pre-season game, he played with a ferociousness that I am not accustomed to seeing from most (if any) Bills players. And now, he is bringing in coveted free agents (especially Barnett) that I doubt would have been possible with Nix and the front office alone.

Sure he has issues off the field that most people may not support, but whether he plays or is injured all year, he has already contributed more than anyone thusfar. It's refreshing to see someone take this team seriously. No whining or complaining on twitter or making media outbursts like countless players in this league. I used to despise the guy when he played for San Diego, but he has quickly become one of my favourite players on the Bills. I really hope he has a great, injury free season to resurrect his career.

Ditto. Also saw via twitter that Shep has a good chance to get on the field Saturday. Should be good to see what the LBs can do out there

I findout when we are down on this team...they surprise us!

This team could flatline to a 0-4 start or jump out to 4-0 start...

I'm hoping for the 4-0 start!

I just read Tony Dungy's book...in the book he describes the Tampa Bucs not having that winning attitude...his goal was to start a foundation of winning by weeding out the losing dead ends...it took the team a few years, but he turned the Bucs around!

Having Merriman is a plus...the Morrison signing is a plus...

Last season we quietly picked up Pears & Ubrik...unfortunately, Ubrik doesn't look good...Pears has looked decent!

I talk to Broncos fans in the area I live in now...and they tell me Pears was a great pickup for the Bills!

Im for alot of fans who explain how we really should've addressed the O-Line a little better this offseason... I think the FO put all their eggs in one basket on Clabo--but, got stiff-armed!

I'm beginning to think this team will go after O-lineman when teams cut down to 53 man rosters!

If Merriman goes on to a Pro Bowl year, I can see him furthermore lure the people to make this team win!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I think Shawne sincerely appreciates the fact that the Bills brought him in last year and gave him a shot when a lot of other people/organizations had written him off as a lost cause. So even when another injury ended his season, there was a sense of loyalty there. Now I think that gratitude is manifesting itself in a much improved LB corps and I couldn't be happier about it!

I just read Tony Dungy's book...in the book he describes the Tampa Bucs not having that winning attitude...his goal was to start a foundation of winning by weeding out the losing dead ends...it took the team a few years, but he turned the Bucs around!

Last season we quietly picked up Pears & Ubrik...unfortunately, Ubrik doesn't look good...Pears has looked decent!

I talk to Broncos fans in the area I live in now...and they tell me Pears was a great pickup for the Bills!

Im for alot of fans who explain how we really should've addressed the O-Line a little better this offseason... I think the FO put all their eggs in one basket on Clabo--but, got stiff-armed!

I'm beginning to think this team will go after O-lineman when teams cut down to 53 man rosters!

If Merriman goes on to a Pro Bowl year, I can see him furthermore lure the people to make this team win!

I really hope that our best O-line people aren't the ones who we dredge out from the cuts. Awww who am I kidding? <_<

I'm not sure that I'd call him a team player. He's one of those guys where when all is good, he's a leader and a great teammate, but when things aren't going well, he puts himself in position (his words or actions) which make it easy to point the finger at him.

I'm not sure that I'd call him a team player. He's one of those guys where when all is good, he's a leader and a great teammate, but when things aren't going well, he puts himself in position (his words or actions) which make it easy to point the finger at him.

You'd say all is good now? Where have you been?

I think Shawne sincerely appreciates the fact that the Bills brought him in last year and gave him a shot when a lot of other people/organizations had written him off as a lost cause. So even when another injury ended his season, there was a sense of loyalty there. Now I think that gratitude is manifesting itself in a much improved LB corps and I couldn't be happier about it!

I'm thrilled as well. But we got him because we were winless at the time, so we had 1st take on him from the waiver wire, IIRC.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This team has no chance of going 4-0. What kind of DRUGS are you taking? Did you not see the Patriots DESTROY the Jags 47-12 and the next week DEVASTATE the Bucs 31-14?? Not that the Bills have ever played very well in KC for starters... And Oakland isn't looking too shabby either... Yeah, The Bills should beat Cinci but that ain't saying much... My prediction is 1-3, 2-2 unlikely though possible...

I agree though that the Bills let themselves get "played" by Clabo... Question for you... Why would a GM not make offers to 4 or 5 players (OT's) at once to "weed out" those who are not really serious?? Guys like Doug Free, Marshall Yanda (He can play G or T allegedly), both young improving players by the way, the kind you can biuld around... There were other OT's and Guards as well... What does this say about your GM??

Do you think other teams put Pears, Wrotto and Urbik on waivers for no good reason??? The answer is they S*CK!

And Merriman is trying to come back from an extremely serious injury that has ended the careers of countless players... I wish him well too, but statistically the odds are not that good... It's difficult to make any assumptions about his play. You can hope for the best but there are no guarantees for sure...

This team has no chance of going 4-0. What kind of DRUGS are you taking? Did you not see the Patriots DESTROY the Jags 47-12 and the next week DEVASTATE the Bucs 31-14?? Not that the Bills have ever played very well in KC for starters... And Oakland isn't looking too shabby either... Yeah, The Bills should beat Cinci but that ain't saying much... My prediction is 1-3, 2-2 unlikely though possible...

I agree though that the Bills let themselves get "played" by Clabo... Question for you... Why would a GM not make offers to 4 or 5 players (OT's) at once to "weed out" those who are not really serious?? Guys like Doug Free, Marshall Yanda (He can play G or T allegedly), both young improving players by the way, the kind you can biuld around... There were other OT's and Guards as well... What does this say about your GM??

Do you think other teams put Pears, Wrotto and Urbik on waivers for no good reason??? The answer is they S*CK!

And Merriman is trying to come back from an extremely serious injury that has ended the careers of countless players... I wish him well too, but statistically the odds are not that good... It's difficult to make any assumptions about his play. You can hope for the best but there are no guarantees for sure...

I agree that 4-0 is improbable but you sound very negative! If you dont want the Bills to succeed, then go away, we are realists, the team needs a few more players to be legit, we know that! We will not be played by you!!!!!!!!!!! :censored:

At first I thought when the Bills signed Merriman that he was just collecting a paycheck. But you see him on the sidelines during games trying to give people advice on defense and cheering on his team. He is used to being on a headlining team now he is in Buffalo. I remember the first game after he signed last year they had to tell him to get back from the sideline because he was getting to close to the field yelling and trying to help his team.

With that said, I assume we will be lucky to get 4 to 6 good games out of him before he reinjures himself. I wish him the best because if he stays healthy our defense will thrive on his intensity.

It would be great if one of our longshots/projects actually panned out. Then again I guess converting Peters worked out but then we weren't willing to pay for the monster we created.

Merriman=Talley.. Dareus=Bruce Smith... That's how I see it. History repeats itself

Pushing it a bit, but love your optimism! Dareus isn't Bruce, but he has the ability to have a very big impact on this team. A healthy Merriman is definitely Talley-esque. I have been very impressed by the attitude and ability that Merriman has brought to the table this year.

Good post but I can't see 4 wins in the first 4 games, be great if they did that though! I also look for new OTs when cuts are made, real young ones who are big and fast but behind entrenched well stocked teams (in an ideal world). And if we don't see when trim downs happen watch for PS players.

Edited by bowery4