Arthur Moats is 6'2' tall (James Harrison is 6', Elvis Dum

James Harrison (6') plays Outside LB and in 2008 was named AP Defensive Player of the Year with 16 sacks, 100 tackles, and 7 forced fumbles.

Elvis Dumervil (5'11") had 17 sacks in 2009.

Gailey on moving Moats (6'2") to Inside LB:

"There were a couple of reasons," Gailey explained. "One, I thought we had some good outside prospects. Two, I thought that we wanted another good, young prospect inside. And three, at six foot, he would never be the prototypical guy outside, so he has a better chance to be an impact player probably on the inside than he does on the outside."

It would really suck if Moats was limited to having a Harrison or Dumervil type impact if he was still playing Outside LB. Who cares about "prototypical" size if the guy can produce which Moats showed last year.

Edited by HarkinBanks

James Harrison plays Outside LB and in 2008 was named AP Defensive Player of the Year with 16 sacks, 100 tackles, and 7 forced fumbles.

Gailey on moving Moats to Inside LB:

"There were a couple of reasons," Gailey explained. "One, I thought we had some good outside prospects. Two, I thought that we wanted another good, young prospect inside. And three, at six foot, he would never be the prototypical guy outside, so he has a better chance to be an impact player probably on the inside than he does on the outside."

It would really suck if Moats was limited to having a Harrison type impact if he was still playing Outside LB. Who cares about "prototypical" size if the guy can produce which Moats showed last year.

Perhaps the coaching staff likes his ability to play inside

Perhaps we should compare Moats more to the rule than the exception. For every James Harrison, there are 100 guys who are 6' and can't cut it on the outside. If Moats doesnt smoke Favre, we wouldn't even know his name.

Perhaps we should compare Moats more to the rule than the exception. For every James Harrison, there are 100 guys who are 6' and can't cut it on the outside. If Moats doesnt smoke Favre, we wouldn't even know his name.

I actually thought Moats looked pretty good on the outside last year, not just on the Farve hit. I added Elvis Dumervil to the list also. My point is just that if they moved him inside purely based on "prototypical" size, that is stupid. I thought he could produce on the outside based on what we saw last year. And I am not sold on Coleman, Batten, etc by any means.

Not true, he made more plays that just that one. A few sacks and a FF.

He's listed as 6' 2", but I bet Chan has actually met him and spoken to him face to face and knows how tall he really is. That being said, I liked him outside too. They already know what he can do at OLB, maybe they want him to learn the inside position too. That way he can play either if someone goes down. I don't think it's a bad strategy to develope someone's versatility. Satan does it in NE all the time. It's preseason and they should be doing things like this. I think it will benefit Moats and the team in the long run.

James Harrison (6') plays Outside LB and in 2008 was named AP Defensive Player of the Year with 16 sacks, 100 tackles, and 7 forced fumbles.

It would really suck if Moats was limited to having a Harrison or Dumervil type impact if he was still playing Outside LB. Who cares about "prototypical" size if the guy can produce which Moats showed last year.

Dumervil did look pretty good destroying Bell this past weekend...

Moats looked ok last year rushing the passer, but looked completely out of his league out in space. Sure there was the possibility of improvement, but to compare Moats to the guys you mentioned is a little off the mark IMO. Even if they kept him at OLB, he would be the 4th option at best (Merriman, Kelsey (like it or not), Batten, maybe even Coleman (bigger).

I think Moats is more suited to outside, but he has a better chance to get in the game on the inside. We have good starters but Sheppard, the unproven rookie is the only other depth on the inside. I don't count Torbor because he is so freaking awful. This is a situation that puts him in a spot to learn from good vets, and gives him the opportunity to be a second stringer/rotational guy. We simply need the inside depth.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The season before last Dumervil led the league in sacks with 17, yea it would suck if Moats only had that type of impact. I met Moats just about 3 weeks ago here in Chesapeake, just a couple days before the lockout ended, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy with arms the size of my thighs. I hope he does good inside, but by his remarks, he was even surprised at the move and wasn't too happy, but I guess he gets paid to play wherever.

The guy showed promise on the outside...so let's put him on the inside ...stupid. Let him compete one on one with the taller guys and see who wins. I say Moats would win the job over Kelsay but Kelsay must have tape on Chan because he appears to not have to compete or be accountable.

Edited by Green Lightning

Perhaps the coaching staff likes his ability to play inside

I’m sure that’s what they thought when they originally drafted him and moved him inside.

BUT BUT BUT he played about ½ the year outside last year, and was very good there, after looking very lost inside. If our stupid fuggin staff STILL thinks he fits better inside than out, well, I guess they are simply dumb. This is at a time when we have CHRIS ‘I TOTALLY BLOW’ KELSAY as a starting outside linebacker. Moats was 10 times better than Kelsay last year. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if a guy is 'prototypical size' for a position. If a guy is effective in a position, play him there! I don't know where they're getting this inclination to play Moats in the middle. He was a pass rushing DE in college, and proved to have TALENT doing similar at OLB. Moving him to ILB where he has to learn significantly more about the position is a mistake. He's back to where he was at the start of last year. Thinking instead of reacting.

I’m sure that’s what they thought when they originally drafted him and moved him inside.

BUT BUT BUT he played about ½ the year outside last year, and was very good there, after looking very lost inside. If our stupid fuggin staff STILL thinks he fits better inside than out, well, I guess they are simply dumb. This is at a time when we have CHRIS ‘I TOTALLY BLOW’ KELSAY as a starting outside linebacker. Moats was 10 times better than Kelsay last year. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much sums up the situation. Kelsay blows...why are Chan & Co. so oblivious to this?

In 2010, Moats played in Week 4 and 7-16. Only in the NEP game in Week 16 did he have a negative Pass Rush score (according to ProFootballFocus.com). He was outstanding vs. the Dolphins. On Run defense he had 3 negative weeks (MIN, CLV, and NYJ). If Moats can ramp up his run defense he'll do well.

He had a calf injury today and sat out practice.

The guy showed promise on the outside...so let's put him on the inside ...stupid. Let him compete one on one with the taller guys and see who wins. I say Moats would win the job over Kelsay but Kelsay must have tape on Chan because he appears to not have to compete or be accountable.

You can say that again.

I actually thought Moats looked pretty good on the outside last year, not just on the Farve hit. I added Elvis Dumervil to the list also. My point is just that if they moved him inside purely based on "prototypical" size, that is stupid. I thought he could produce on the outside based on what we saw last year. And I am not sold on Coleman, Batten, etc by any means.

Your point is "that is they moved him inside PURELY based on prototypical size, that is stupid".....you sat that after you quote gailey giving three reason on why he made the move. Height being the third. I think your point is null

Moats is being compared to Dumervil and Harrison now? I don't see the connection.