Will Buddy be the GM for the rest of Ralph's life?

freester

Buddy comes cheap and has apparently earned Ralph's trust via familiarity. I don't see us winning more than 6 games this year. This team is devoid of talent with a few exceptions. Other than Dareus, Buddy has done very little to improve the talent level. Assuming another poor record this year, does Chan get fired? I don't know if Buddy would ever get fired. Maybe he would resign and Whaley would take over.

Edited by freester

I think we have to be a little more patient than two drafts and one offseason. I can't tell yet if Nix is a good GM or a bad one. And I certainly can't tell whether Chan is a good coach; the only thing I can tell is that he doesn't have very many good players to work with.

Also, I think Nix has made more than one good move. Getting rid of Edwards was addition by subtracting a distraction, and I like the Merriman and Barnett moves.

Well he is going on 93... so that is entirely possible. When the bidding war for the Bills comes after his death, let's hope the Pegula Jet gets fired up and flies down to Orchard Park and saves the franchise. Sorry, just day dreaming...

Buddy comes cheap and has apparently earned Ralph's trust via familiarity. I don't see us winning more than 6 games this year. This team is devoid of talent with a few exceptions. Other than Dareus, Buddy has done very little to improve the talent level. Assuming another poor record this year, does Chan get fired? I don't know if Buddy would ever get fired. Maybe he would resign and Whaley would take over.

Not to be morbid but Buddy will be 72 in December...there's a possibility he doesn't outlive Ralph.

Assuming Ralph lives a few more years, Doug Whaley will be the GM in a couple of years when Nix retires again. If the team is really bad this year, it could be as soon as 2012. If that's the case, I'd give Gailey 50-50 at best of hanging around as coach. I don't know if Whaley is a chan fan or whether he has a short list in the back of his mind of someone else to bring in. Russ Grimm used to be in Pittsburgh when Whaley was there & would want to fix the O-line ASAP.

I think Ralph would have to be EXTREMELY publicly humiliated to dump Nix next year, can't see it happening.

All Nix has to do is retire and at the press conference say "I'm too old for this s**t".

Assuming Ralph lives a few more years, Doug Whaley will be the GM in a couple of years when Nix retires again. If the team is really bad this year, it could be as soon as 2012. If that's the case, I'd give Gailey 50-50 at best of hanging around as coach. I don't know if Whaley is a chan fan or whether he has a short list in the back of his mind of someone else to bring in. Russ Grimm used to be in Pittsburgh when Whaley was there & would want to fix the O-line ASAP.

All Nix has to do is retire and at the press conference say "I'm too old for this s**t".

Well that's true, I wasn't looking at it from Nix's standpoint. If Buddy wanted out, then yeah.

I think we have to be a little more patient than two drafts and one offseason. I can't tell yet if Nix is a good GM or a bad one. And I certainly can't tell whether Chan is a good coach; the only thing I can tell is that he doesn't have very many good players to work with.

Also, I think Nix has made more than one good move. Getting rid of Edwards was addition by subtracting a distraction, and I like the Merriman and Barnett moves.

I agree with adding Nick Barnett as being a good move. Merriman is to be determined

GMs usually get at least 2 coaches before they're fired. So after Gailey is fired, Nix's next hire would have to fail for Nix to get fired. That should be several more years, especially if Ralph takes the same path he did with Jauron (firing him a year too late).

I'd say at minimum, Nix has 4 more years on the job, assuming he's able to fill it. I'm no actuary, but my rough guess is that the percentages would say that Nix is the last GM Ralph will employ.

Just curious, which offseason are you not counting, this one or last one?

GMs usually get at least 2 coaches before they're fired. So after Gailey is fired, Nix's next hire would have to fail for Nix to get fired. That should be several more years, especially if Ralph takes the same path he did with Jauron (firing him a year too late).

I'd say at minimum, Nix has 4 more years on the job, assuming he's able to fill it. I'm no actuary, but my rough guess is that the percentages would say that Nix is the last GM Ralph will employ.

Just curious, which offseason are you not counting, this one or last one?

Russ Grimm also turned down an interview with the Bills to be their head coach.

To answer your question, it depends on when Ralph dies.

No one will take this job at this point because when Ralph dies everyone gets fired by the new owner, who will bring their own people in after spending $800m for the team, that you can be sure of. I think Buddy and Chan are it until Ralph passes simply because no one in their right mind is coming (unless some college coach or NFL exile wants back in). Just the reality.

Kind of a troubling thought, but what happens if 'ol Ralph lives until 110?! We all assume he only has a few more years left, but the # of centenarians is on the rise world wide... would he really still try to run the team if he was, like, 105 years old???