Lee Evans playing well in Baltimore

I am a big Lee Evans fan...but calling him a star in the league is a little joke, when he has not been even the top-10 WR in the past 3-4 seasons...There is a bit of everything in the failure of Lee Evans to elevate his game...bad coaching, bad QB, no support WRs etc......but you have to include Lee's inability to go over the middle or make the short passes and convert them to large gains.... There as a reason Don Beebe was always the #3, or #4 WR on the Bills team....Lee Evans is just another Don Beebe. You just don't disappear in 15 of 16 games in a season and Lee did that even when your QB was throwing for 3000 yards in 13 games.

I hope Lee will post better numbers with Flacco as his QB and a solid OL and will also make it to the playoffs, the first time in his career. It would have been just unfair for him to have been stuck without a playoff for another year...something that frustrated a Schoebel so much that he retired from the game. In many sense, the Bills did a favor for one of their favorite players and did right by him.

:thumbsup:

:worthy:

I wish there was an applause emoticon...my one gripe with this Board is how incredibly weak our set of emoticons are.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what the ironic thing is? Ralph's desire to squeeze every little penny always blows up in his face and ends up costing him more. Case in point: by trading Evans in order to save a couple of million in short-term cash-on-hand, Ralph and his Accountants ended up bumping Stevie J's contract by at least that amount, since it's now undisputed that he is a No. 1 receiver and featured in the offense. Just like Ralph's saving a few bucks on scouting and acquisition leads to him paying millions to first-round busts, and saving money on crappy facilities and a poor S&C program leads to his players getting injured.

The Lee Evans move was a move that reflects the character of our franchise. Cost cutting was the only reasoning behind getting rid of Lee...yet they pay him a million dollar bonus before getting rid of him. Nothing about the move makes our team better...typical Buffalo Bills. Teammates' responses are very telling as to his value to the team...

Some of you guys in this thread sound like you just saw your ex at a bar with another guy & she still looks good, but you're trying to convince yourself she put on a few pounds. Lee was a good guy, good player, but he's gone.

Im sorry John, but the problem in Buffalo was never Lee Evans. Say what you want about him being the stereotypical number one receiver, but a guy who puts up 70 or so yards in the first quarter of a preseason game a week after joining the team is ok in my book. Unfortunately we will all see what he does with a respectable QB, and a solid franchise like Baltimore. Call me a pessimist, but its tough to get excited about David Nelson, Namaan Roosevelt, and Donald Jones. Its actually borderline embarassing. Draft Lee Evans in your fantasy football leagues if your smart because this guy finally has broken away from our horrid franchise, and can finally show his true abilities. I am very sad to see him go. This team is not loaded with stars, and Lee has been one for us for several years.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

I know its a defense mechanism for fan to defend the decision from OBD but history tells us different. We've seen post of the ineptitude of this organization spelled out many times on this very site...I really chuckle at times when fans drink the kool-aid that's spewd from OBD. OBD seems to resist the fact of ever building around the limited talent on-hand or need I ask/demand that they acquire a bonafide nfl talent to compliment said talent. They gets a pass from fan outrage because Ralph has us by the short & curly's and know that if we stop supporting his bumbling front office decisions and demand accountability he'll sell the team. I just don't see how they can continue to sell the idea of not competing against bigger markets with revenue from TO & continued savings from being on the low end of the cap. I don't have a problem with cash to the cap model because other teams employ that tactic ie. NE, Tampa & KC. 2 of the 3 made the playoff and the other won 9 gms. So IMHO its not the concept but the evaluators and decision makers who needs to be accountable to the fan base.

that sounds like the typical lee evans game from last season....2 or 3 catches for about 60 yards....including a 30 or 40 yarder. decent, but nothing to write home about.

wish him the best of luck in baltimore becuase he is a class act and plays his heart out, but it was time for him to move on.

he hasn't played his heart out in over three years. When Baltimore needs him to come through he will drop the big catch.

Evans suffered through a lot of crap with this team like we all have - bad coaches, bad drafts, bad QBs, bad teams. There are a lot of players who would have made a lot more trouble in the same situation. I hope Evans does well (just not against us), but I think the move is good for him and good for the team. We do have a lot of talented young receivers in the queue that need to get playing time to see if they have what it takes to make it in this league.

Sometimes you just have to have a fresh start. I have to think that most of us have had jobs like that where it just gets hard to even show up in the morning (or night if you have ever worked a graveyard shift). It's not always about the money either; Years ago I had a job where I was getting paid very well for doing the equivalent of watching paint dry; 4 months of collecting checks and I let them know I was moving on. Sometimes you just have to feel like your accomplishing something at the end of the day.

that sounds like the typical lee evans game from last season....2 or 3 catches for about 60 yards....including a 30 or 40 yarder. decent, but nothing to write home about.

wish him the best of luck in baltimore becuase he is a class act and plays his heart out, but it was time for him to move on.

Sorry this is the schmuck I meant to reply to:

You schmuck, Evans only played 1/4 of the game tonight at most and put up these numbers

That's what you call "vehemently defended the Maybin pick?" It's been a while since 8th grade English comprehension but I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about Maybin in that post. My criticism is directed at Mayock and all the other draft "gurus". I could give a **** less about Maybin although I would have preferred that he didn't completely suck.

Bottom line is no one knows how a player is going to turn out and everything is a giant guess until they get on the field. Unfortunately for us, Mayock was close in his estimation except he was off by one. If it makes you feel better to view me as a Maybin defender then I'm happy for you.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Lee looked pretty good in his less than 1 half of play. He caught all three passed thrown his way while the other Baltimore receivers all dropped passed. His second catch on the sideline was excellent. All three of his catches were for 1st downs. His third and longest catch was the key play on the drive and put them in scoring position.

I disagree with an earlier comment that he was playing against third stringers because that just isn't true. He will be a great addition to their team. #1 receiver? No, but he will help their team. I liked Lee, was a little bummed to see him go but wish him the best. Hopefully our young guys can step up and fill his shoes.

I'm not even considering Evans having a good year in Baltimore. He will average his usual 3 or 4 catches for 50-70 yards a game, with a td here and there. he'll have one or two (At the most) big games where he goes over 100 yards, just like last season, but it will not be worthy of a #1 wr. not even close. history likes to repeat itself and will do so again this season...

I'm not sure what you think #1s do but the heart of that is a solid 60 catch season for 1000 yards and some tds WITHOUT the big games you mention

I get sick and tired of people not calling Fitz a "respectable QB"

Fitz IS a respectable QB....he just isnt a pro bowl level QB.....he is a solid starter. Now if you want to say we dont have the OL to hold blocks enough for 7 step drops to utilize what Lee brings to a team then I am with you....but Fitz IS good at what he does

He may be respectable but throwing the long ball is not his specialty, while catching the long ball is Lees. They where a bad combination.

You know what the ironic thing is? Ralph's desire to squeeze every little penny always blows up in his face and ends up costing him more. Case in point: by trading Evans in order to save a couple of million in short-term cash-on-hand, Ralph and his Accountants ended up bumping Stevie J's contract by at least that amount, since it's now undisputed that he is a No. 1 receiver and featured in the offense. Just like Ralph's saving a few bucks on scouting and acquisition leads to him paying millions to first-round busts, and saving money on crappy facilities and a poor S&C program leads to his players getting injured.

I trust that Ralph has accountants who are better at crunching these kind of things better than majority of the folks on this board. Those folks do this for a living...

forgot to add that it's gotten out that Lee wanted to be traded to a contender. his heart was no longer in buffalo. no one can blame him for that....but if he had stayed, knowing he was no longer the number one, no way his head would have been in every game. he needed to go.

If he really said that he wanted to be traded than I agree Nix did the right thing. He had a chance to produce last year and didn't. NE trades players while they still have value.

I like that philosophy. He didn't show enough in camp to warrant us keeping him and if he does not want to be here (like whitner) we don't want him!

or maybe money isnt the real issue....

Sorry this is the schmuck I meant to reply to:

You schmuck, Evans only played 1/4 of the game tonight at most and put up these numbers

whats your !@#$ing point guy? MY POINT is that he played full games the past two years and would put up 50-60 yards on 3-4 catches on a consistant basis...again, nothing to write home about.....he'd have the occasional 100 yard game with a td or two which would do just enough to keep the homer simpson fans like you down on your knees and wearing out your knee pads on him.

if evans played the rest of lastnights game with the starters, history says he would probaly not catch anything else but a cold.

do your homework before you spout off at the mouth like a fool.