Question of the Day

Now I understand that we already have a thread about Levitre's move yesterday, however, he has been moved back to starting LG today already.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/17/levitre-back-with-1s/

Whatever, who cares right? Obviously Levitre moving BACK to HIS position within one day to at least "split time" there is no big deal. The question of the day is this: Why move Levitre back to the 1's and still not even have Rhinhart at RG? Why is this shake-up happening only on the left? Why is Urbik untouched so far?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, does anyone know the logic or reasoning behind this? Does the coaching staff know something about Urbik that we just don't? Was it secretly Levitre screwing up the whole time and that made it look bad on everybody? I just want some more rationale, since Gailey and CB clearly won't provide.

Now I understand that we already have a thread about Levitre's move yesterday, however, he has been moved back to starting LG today already.

http://blogs.buffalo...e-back-with-1s/

Whatever, who cares right? Obviously Levitre moving BACK to HIS position within one day to at least "split time" there is no big deal. The question of the day is this: Why move Levitre back to the 1's and still not even have Rhinhart at RG? Why is this shake-up happening only on the left? Why is Urbik untouched so far?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, does anyone know the logic or reasoning behind this? Does the coaching staff know something about Urbik that we just don't? Was it secretly Levitre screwing up the whole time and that made it look bad on everybody? I just want some more rationale, since Gailey and CB clearly won't provide.

Maybe they want to test each combination for a full day or more. When testing variables, you don't learn much by changing a whole bunch of them at one time.

Just speculation but I think they really need to see if Urbik can handle the job. If you put Rinehart there, then Urbik doesn't get as many reps and chances. If you split time with a guy you know is solid but not great (Levitre), it motivates him a little and still provides time to see if it is Urbik or Rinehart who is more up for the challenge. Granted, this strategy hurts cohesiveness in the short term, but it's the lesser of evils, IMO, because Wood and Levitre, as well as Bell and Levitre, already know each other pretty well.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I have no idea why Gailey is doing what he is, but there is value in "keeping hope alive" throughout the roster. At the pro level, these are pretty competitive guys, with a history of being a top player, from Pop Warner onwards. They are not used to, and the good ones aren't satisfied, with being second stringers. If the starting positions are closed to competition from the get-go, and there's no way you will even be considered for one of them, then it's not hard to imagine non-starters becoming discontented and even losing interest. Imagine your own job, and if no matter how hard you worked, how well you did your job, that the boss was always going to give the plum jobs to his favored guys and you were never going to be considered for advancement. So maybe this is all about keeping morale up. But, like I said, I have no idea why Gailey is doing what he is.

I have no idea why Gailey is doing what he is, but there is value in "keeping hope alive" throughout the roster. At the pro level, these are pretty competitive guys, with a history of being a top player, from Pop Warner onwards. They are not used to, and the good ones aren't satisfied, with being second stringers. If the starting positions are closed to competition from the get-go, and there's no way you will even be considered for one of them, then it's not hard to imagine non-starters becoming discontented and even losing interest. Imagine your own job, and if no matter how hard you worked, how well you did your job, that the boss was always going to give the plum jobs to his favored guys and you were never going to be considered for advancement. So maybe this is all about keeping morale up. But, like I said, I have no idea why Gailey is doing what he is.

Ha, oh I get it, trust me. I was in the Army working with a Time in Service ceiling over my head for 4 years. I also played second string QB in HS and never worked to improve during the season because I clearly outperformed our starter every preseason. It was nonsense, and I would not work hard if I were on an OLine that had their positions set either. But the question is whether or not they're doing right by not opening the competition for right guard as well... However, I understand the "keep it to a single variable" thing.

I have to to home and watch urbiks play 10 MORE times in slow mo. I saw urbik suck on the spiller run and fail to block urlacher on spillers screen (wood and Levitre were both face first in TE grass after whiffing on that play too. Urlacher was woods assignment) his technique looks like it needs help, but I don't think he was THAT bad other than the plays mentioned. I don't think he's a great player (or good for that matter), but I don't think, based on the Chicago game, that he's terrible. We'll see how it goes next couple weeks. I definitely hope we sign someone that can play RT and or backup LT.

Sure is, but just not right kind of stud. He played like a stiff 2x4 Saturday.....

Good one.

I have to to home and watch urbiks play 10 MORE times in slow mo. I saw urbik suck on the spiller run and fail to block urlacher on spillers screen (wood and Levitre were both face first in TE grass after whiffing on that play too. Urlacher was woods assignment) his technique looks like it needs help, but I don't think he was THAT bad other than the plays mentioned. I don't think he's a great player (or good for that matter), but I don't think, based on the Chicago game, that he's terrible. We'll see how it goes next couple weeks. I definitely hope we sign someone that can play RT and or backup LT.

It's not just against the Bears, he's been awful in TC. He gets pushed around a lot for a guy his size due to poor technique and footwork. He seems a few seconds late to react most of the time. I think he got away with being bigger and stronger than most of the guys he faced in college and in the NFL he can't get away with that anymore. He may develop into a fine player, but it ain't gonna be in the next few weeks. Bring in a vet for a year or two and coach him up because right now I fear for Fitz's safety.

It's not just against the Bears, he's been awful in TC. He gets pushed around a lot for a guy his size due to poor technique and footwork. He seems a few seconds late to react most of the time. I think he got away with being bigger and stronger than most of the guys he faced in college and in the NFL he can't get away with that anymore. He may develop into a fine player, but it ain't gonna be in the next few weeks. Bring in a vet for a year or two and coach him up because right now I fear for Fitz's safety.

Fitz had time to throw on pretty much every pass he attempted. Granted, he didn't have any seven step drops, but he had time. Urbik didn't look good, but it was mostly in the run game. Overall, the OL held up pretty well. The INT against D Jones killed us. Fitz threw one bad pass on a 3rd down but I wasnt sure if that was a rotten pass or a pattern screw up by the WR.

Just speculation but I think they really need to see if Urbik can handle the job. If you put Rinehart there, then Urbik doesn't get as many reps and chances. If you split time with a guy you know is solid but not great (Levitre), it motivates him a little and still provides time to see if it is Urbik or Rinehart who is more up for the challenge. Granted, this strategy hurts cohesiveness in the short term, but it's the lesser of evils, IMO, because Wood and Levitre, as well as Bell and Levitre, already know each other pretty well.

This makes logical sense to me. It gives more first team reps to Urbik who needs it and some good first team reps to Rinehart who (according to Gailey) has earned them by playing well in practice.

Short term cohesiveness can be overcome. As other posters have said, if everyone believes that there is a ceiling and they can't displace the starters what's the incentive to work as hard as possible.

We've traded out Lee, dumped Maybin, and promoted Rinehart. All moves that show confidence in the younger players to move up the pecking order. That's a good thing.