Gaileys ego

I'm not a big fan of gadget plays either but I see what Gailey's doing. The Bills offensive line isn't good. Gadget plays might make defensive fronts a little more flat-footed, a little more hesitant. Defenses are accustomed to QBs either handing off to a RB or throwing the ball. Why not let the QB run if he can? Why not hand off to someone different? The more the defense has to think - the more observant they have to be - the less aggressive they'll be at the snap of the ball.

The sad truth is that if we tried to play smash-mouth football, we'd fail. We'd lose the battle of the trenches. We need a different approach.

I'm sure Gailey would love to have a QB of of Manning's or Brady's caliber. I'm sure he'd love to have a dominating O line. He doesn't. He does have some weapons though at RB and WR and backup QB. He was be negligent if he didn't find creative ways to use them.

Ego? I don't think so. I think Chan's trying to find ways to win with the hand he's been dealt. Even if Chan was an egotistical guy (and I don't feel he is) the best way to feed the ego is to just win, baby.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you must be young.... Greg Williams had an Ego. Gailey has the anti-ego. Might be one of the humblest coaches in football. Why does he like Brad Smith? because in our division you need to think outside the box to beat Belicheck (who is going back to the 4-3 in the perfect time, with all other teams in a 3-4).

Agree except for one thing. Bellicek is going back to a 4-3 for one reason and one reason only. Personell. He does not have enough good linebackers to play the 3-4.

Had he been the Bills coach last year he would have played 4-3 simnplty based on the people he add to work with.

What are these "trick/gadget" plays that people speak of? Bubble screens? Quick hitches? Running the Qb out of the spread?

These are not "trick/gadget" plays. They are part of the spread offense. They are plays that maximize the Bills personnel.

I didn't see any double reverses, double passes, fleet flickers or hook and ladders. Those are trick/gadget plays.

Gailey is smart. He doesn't have an O line so he is spreading out opposing defenses and getting the front 7 off of the field and making DB's make tackles. Sounds like good coaching to me.

Pigpen looked horrible last night. Passes over, behind and at the feet of his targets. If Fitz goes down we won't win a game. #2 QB is a glaring weakness on this team.

You cant be serious, he's playing behind the great wall of swiss cheese, gimme a break,o-line 2nd string is not this teams strong point, nobody could do well behind that o-line, not even brady!

What are these "trick/gadget" plays that people speak of? Bubble screens? Quick hitches? Running the Qb out of the spread?

These are not "trick/gadget" plays. They are part of the spread offense. They are plays that maximize the Bills personnel.

I didn't see any double reverses, double passes, fleet flickers or hook and ladders. Those are trick/gadget plays.

Gailey is smart. He doesn't have an O line so he is spreading out opposing defenses and getting the front 7 off of the field and making DB's make tackles. Sounds like good coaching to me.

Thank you I was wondering the same thing

I would hardly say that the couple trick-play snaps that went to Brad Smith and Nesbitt last night count as "building an offense around them." I do agree with your assessment that over-reliance on trick plays is a sign of a weak team. However, until our OLine develops, we will be a weak team, and so the best we can do in the interim is to play "small-ball" on offense with a couple gadget plays, and hope to steal a win or two.

I agree, but it seems, to me, the new regime is putting a higher value, offensively, on hybrid type players, than they are on guys with traditional football skill sets for their positions. I just don't envision CJ Spiller, for instance, being a 25-30 carry a game back, who just happens to be able to catch passes out of the backfield (ala Thurman or Fred Jackson)...from all accounts, Brad Smith is never going to be a full time QB, or a full time receiver...I agree about the Oline, but it seems that Buddy and Chan are not as concerned with this area as we are...I just don't think, in any sport, tricking the other team, in any sport (while fun, and thrilling at times) ever ultimately leads to championships. Something like "homerun throwback" (you remember I am sure) was born out of desperation, as a last gasp effort...the way Chan has spoken, and the from some of the things I have read about training camp, the coach intends to use the wildcat a fair amount of the time.

My point is, they seem to be more concerned with stocking up on players of this type, rather than in fixing some of the things that seem like glaring weaknesses.

I'm by no means an NFL Offensive corr. but i am a H.S. Offensive corr. and even at our level in a preseason game we pick 20 plays and we only run those 20 plays the whole game because we dont want other teams to see what we can do, it's just about getting your players some playing time and getting used to hitting and getting some things on tape so you can make sure your guys are blocking correctly and seeing things that you want them to see..Its not about going out there and beating the other team 40-0..Gailey and staff just want to get as many people playing time in this first game as they can so they can get a look at them, if you went into the season without running the wilcat at all then you wouldnt have anything on tape on it to build off of, i liked how they looked in it, and i would expect they run it a little less these next few games so other teams dont get too much of it on tape, but this first game they needed to see who could do what...dont read too much into it, i would expect fitz to take 85-90% of the snaps..

Wow!! this place is crazy! I barely post anything but read the blog nightly.

Gailey runs a good offense. We have sucked for the past 11 years and people are going to criticize a coach that will try everything and anything he has to win??? Think about it. What do we have to lose. Chix said in the beginning that they are going to evauate talent - See Lee Evans - and they are going to put the best team and players on the field to help them win. But, reading some of these posts, I'm probably thinking out of my ass.

Have some hope people!! It's the first time since the glory days that I do.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't even bother reading through 4 pages of posts. The O.P ... you can go find another team to root for. You want to make judgment based on the first pre-season game? Get real. This sht is getting old to read on a daily basis. If you're too blind or stupid to see forward progress in the midst of a REBUILD, then go root for Green Bay or New England until they suck someday and you come running back to the bills. Blah.

My point is, they seem to be more concerned with stocking up on players of this type, rather than in fixing some of the things that seem like glaring weaknesses.

I can't disagree, mindful of two occasions in the past two years. First, the Spiller pick: maybe you reach for an O-lineman or trade down so you get one at a better place, but CJ was not what we needed. Second, the Smith signing: even if Clabo was never thinking Buffalo too seriously, that couple extra million that we would've saved from signing a glorified KR/wildcat QB could've gone to a Vito Corleone-type contract that maybe would've made Clabo think otherwise. Granted, that assumes we would've spent that money to begin with (which we did in the past with Dockery and Walker so it's actually not out of the question). Even if the FO was imposing austerity measures, Smith's contract could've gone to a reserve OT with some NFL experience.

You're right: there is a record of stocking up on these players, and not for cheap, either.

Wow!! this place is crazy! I barely post anything but read the blog nightly.

Gailey runs a good offense. We have sucked for the past 11 years and people are going to criticize a coach that will try everything and anything he has to win??? Think about it. What do we have to lose. Chix said in the beginning that they are going to evauate talent - See Lee Evans - and they are going to put the best team and players on the field to help them win. But, reading some of these posts, I'm probably thinking out of my ass.

Have some hope people!! It's the first time since the glory days that I do.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bam

Without really feeding the troll here, I think we've got to remember that things did not look all that good in preseason last year, and that Trent was the winner of the job via his performance. All that says is that you don't really learn everything in preseason (though the offense did look pretty sleepy by virtue of the QB switch and attendant growing pains). Take that statement and bold it, underline it, and capitalize it for this truncated, screwed-up offseason.

I hate to say it but I do really think the Bills are going to be more hurt than most by the lack of OTAs, minicamps and 2 extra weeks of camp/preseason. They are so young and just really getting into the finer details in year 2 of Gailey's system. I have hope as one always does in August / September, but realistically, next year looks more promising. This year for me is about the emergence of the defense and especially Dareus and Merriman (hoping for comeback player of the year).

I can't disagree, mindful of two occasions in the past two years. First, the Spiller pick: maybe you reach for an O-lineman or trade down so you get one at a better place, but CJ was not what we needed. Second, the Smith signing: even if Clabo was never thinking Buffalo too seriously, that couple extra million that we would've saved from signing a glorified KR/wildcat QB could've gone to a Vito Corleone-type contract that maybe would've made Clabo think otherwise. Granted, that assumes we would've spent that money to begin with (which we did in the past with Dockery and Walker so it's actually not out of the question). Even if the FO was imposing austerity measures, Smith's contract could've gone to a reserve OT with some NFL experience.

You're right: there is a record of stocking up on these players, and not for cheap, either.

"that kind of money" is exactly what Walker and Dockery got. You're talking a lot more guaranteed money and possibly another mil or two per. I don't think Ralph's doing that, and I still don't know if I would leave a really good shot at a Super Bowl-ready team if I'm Clabo.

Are you guys delusional? The offense was not the problem last year, and Gailey is the biggest reason for our turnaround on that side of the ball. He always gets the best out of his quarterbacks and that's why Fitz was able to have success and throw for over 3000 yards last year.

And wildcat is a change of pace type play, not an every down kind of thing. Fitz will still be in there 80% of the time doing what he does best and that's slinging the ball all over the field. And why would we show our bread and butter plays in the first preseason game, for christ sake its the preseason. Let's relax a little, saying that Gailey is holding us back on offense is ridiculous

thank you!!!!

I agree. Gailey played 5 guys at QB last night. The audacity he displayed by proving that he could try to beat the Bears using 5 different quarterbacks in the same game is laughable. If we have any chance at all the rest of this preseason, we need to just stick with using 3 or fewer quarterbacks and start running the entire playbook, not just all these crazy gadget plays that teams showcase in the preseason to plant seeds in the heads of regular season opponents to make them devote at least a little bit of preparation to them. Open up the playbook, show your bread and butter plays and get ready for next week, let's get back to .500!!!!

above is a proper sarcastic/smart response to a really silly post. how are teams going to prep for the brad smith wrinkle to the offense? preseason is all they have to work with. throw some stuff out there, let them work on it. switch up. maybe never use him at all, less time they devote prepping for fitz.

you are correct

2 years ago they tried to trade up for Tebow

After that failed, they tanked last year to get Newton but Luck screwed them over by staying in school and allowed Cam to go #1.

don't be surprised if they eventually trade for Tebow now that he has been downgraded in Denver.

Where did you ever hear that? They passed him over twice in the draft. They passed over the most NFL ready (according to so called experts) in the second round this year and left Dalton for the Bungals to pick. I sometimes think that Gailey is being forced to do the best he can with the cheapest players out there, and with no franchise quarterback in our near future, maybe he thinks these dumb gimmick plays will make up for the lack of talent.