Notable Cuts

There has been a lot of talk of the other teams cuts how about ours.

I think there will be a few unlucky players.

Roosevelt will get cut unless Evans is traded

David Martin will probably get cut or it will be Nelson

Coleman or Maybin i think only one can make the roster

Who will get cut love to hear from u guys

WR, LB, and TE are the interesting positions as I see it.

WR:

Definitely in: Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones

That leaves six guys (Aiken, Huggins, Hubbard, Roosevelt, Davis, and Easley) fighting for one or two spots. If Easley is back by the weekend and practices/plays well in the next two preseason games (Denver and Jacksonville), he has the best shot to make the roster. Roosevelt looks to be a victim of numbers. And remember, Brad Smith plays some WR as well.

Prediction: Easley makes the team. Aiken and Roosevelt to the PS (if Roosevelt is still eligible?).

LB:

Definitely in: Merriman, Barnett, Davis, Kelsay, Sheppard, Batten, Moats

In a 3-4 you've got to carry at least eight LBs, possibly nine, so there are only one to two spots left between Maybin, White, Torbor, Coleman, and several no-names. This is going to be interesting. Just when I was ready to completely write Maybin off, he came back with a great practice. And he's still so damn young. At the end of the day, however, I think he's going to have to try to get on the field in a different uniform.

Prediction: the Bills keep nine, with Coleman and White rounding out the squad.

TE:

Definitely in: Chandler

I think this is the end of the Shawn Nelson experiment. It's a shame because his measurables suggested he could really be a threat in the passing game -- but the guy isn't a good blocker and he can't stay on the field. Martin likely stays because of his experience, which leaves probably one spot for Caussin or Pianalto.

Prediction: Pianalto's ability in the passing game is intriguing enough that he hangs on, along with Martin.

-------

And of course, there's the question of whether the Bills use a roster spot for Mount Jasper, or do they try to squirrel him away on the PS? It seems clear he's not NFL-ready, technique wise, at this point.

Roscoe won't be on our roster much longer. He simply does not do anything that other players can't do. I know he was on pace for 800+ yds last year, but we have a young, talented receiving corps. I'm sure most of you by now have either watched or heard about the remarks Chan made about Roosevelt's awesomeness ("God didn't make him biggest, God didn't make him fastest, but the man can sure play"). Bottom line, Naaman makes the team. Roscoe is fast and shifty, but so too is Spiller. Roscoe returns punts, but so too can Smith and Spiller. Roscoe will be the victim of the move toward youth. Nothing wrong with that I say.

I think we keep 6 Receivers on the roster:

1. Lee

2. Stevie

3. Easley (When will he scheduled to practice again? Maybe we'll see him in the 2nd preseason game?)

4. Jones

5. Roosevelt

6. Nelson

Edited by saundena

That leaves six guys (Aiken, Huggins, Hubbard, Roosevelt, Davis, and Easley) fighting for one or two spots. If Easley is back by the weekend and practices/plays well in the next two preseason games (Denver and Jacksonville), he has the best shot to make the roster. Roosevelt looks to be a victim of numbers. And remember, Brad Smith plays some WR as well.

Prediction: Easley makes the team. Aiken and Roosevelt to the PS (if Roosevelt is still eligible?).

Can someone explain the Easely love to me?

He could be great - so far all he's shown is the ability to be injured easely.

Why would we keep him over someone who has actually been out there, showing us WR ability?

Why would we keep him over someone who has actually been out there, showing us WR ability?

I hear what you're saying, but they won't be so quick to give up on a 4th round pick... If he keeps getting injured... maybe but at the very least lets give him a chance. He should be ready to play in the 2nd preseason game at the very least!

There has been a lot of talk of the other teams cuts how about ours.

I think there will be a few unlucky players.

Roosevelt will get cut unless Evans is traded

David Martin will probably get cut or it will be Nelson

Coleman or Maybin i think only one can make the roster

Who will get cut love to hear from u guys

I agree with these, except Coleman. He doesn't get cut barring injury, we are WAY to thin at that position (no pun intented Maybin). I really don't see how Maybin can make the team though, the guy just simply isn't good. Size or no size.

Roscoe won't be on our roster much longer. He simply does not do anything that other players can't do. I know he was on pace for 800+ yds last year, but we have a young, talented receiving corps. I'm sure most of you by now have either watched or heard about the remarks Chan made about Roosevelt's awesomeness ("God didn't make him biggest, God didn't make him fastest, but the man can sure play"). Bottom line, Naaman makes the team. Roscoe is fast and shifty, but so too is Spiller. Roscoe returns punts, but so too can Smith and Spiller. Roscoe will be the victim of the move toward youth. Nothing wrong with that I say.

1. Lee

2. Stevie

3. Easley (When will he scheduled to practice again? Maybe we'll see him in the 2nd preseason game?)

4. Jones

5. Roosevelt

6. Nelson

I respectfully disagree. I am not a Parrish fan, but Gailey is...meaning he will be on the team barring injury. Smith will be on the roster as well.

Roosevelt is a real long shot, he also has to compete with Buster Davis, whom Nix loves. Nelson is solid, and has by far the best hands on the team, plus he's huge. He is penciled in right behind Evans and SJ. Jones is a solid special teams player, ensuring his roster spot. He is a decent WR too, just needs to work on those hands.

Easley should make the team IF he can recover quickly from this last injury, and stay healthy through the rest of training camp...a big if. But from what I hear, is already doing drills so it looks good. We also have some UDFA's and PS guys that look decent. Roosevelt isn't bad so he has a shot, but he's not great either. I think he only makes it with injury help.

And remember, Brad Smith plays some WR as well.

This is key, I'm pretty sure he will be on the roster as a WR (and used as one), taking up a spot.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I respectfully disagree. I am not a Parrish fan, but Gailey is...meaning he will be on the team barring injury.

Roosevelt is a real long shot, he also has to compete with Buster Davis, whom Nix loves. Nelson is solid, and has by far the best hands on the team, plus he's huge. He is penciled in right behind Evans and SJ. Jones is a solid special teams player, ensuring his roster spot. He is a decent WR too, just needs to work on those hands.

Easley should make the team IF he can recover quickly from this last injury, and stay healthy through the rest of training camp...a big if. But from what I hear, is already doing drills so it looks good. We also have some UDFA's and PS guys that look decent. Roosevelt isn't bad so he has a shot, but he's not great either. I think he only makes it with injury help.

I hear what your saying, and you make good points. Ultimately, it will be interesting to see how it all really plays out. I just hope we make it through preseason w/o serious injuries. I didn't know that Easley was back doing drills. This is good news.

You know, this had the potential to be a pretty clever and funny remark, if you had bothered to spell his name correctly. ;)

Anyway, the thing with Easley is his prototype size and speed. If he had become a factor at UConn before his senior year, there's no way he lasts until the 4th round. Because the Bills really haven't seen what he can do, he is certainly going to get the opportunity this preseason to show he belongs.

That said, if he can't get healthy and/or is inconsistent, I don't think they'll use a roster spot. I'm just banking on him getting healthy and playing.

WR, LB, and TE are the interesting positions as I see it.

WR:

Definitely in: Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones

LB:

Definitely in: Merriman, Barnett, Davis, Kelsay, Sheppard, Batten, Moats

In a 3-4 you've got to carry at least eight LBs, possibly nine, so there are only one to two spots left between Maybin, White, Torbor, Coleman, and several no-names. This is going to be interesting. Just when I was ready to completely write Maybin off, he came back with a great practice. And he's still so damn young. At the end of the day, however, I think he's going to have to try to get on the field in a different uniform.

Prediction: the Bills keep nine, with Coleman and White rounding out the squad.

TE:

Definitely in: Chandler

I think this is the end of the Shawn Nelson experiment. It's a shame because his measurables suggested he could really be a threat in the passing game -- but the guy isn't a good blocker and he can't stay on the field. Martin likely stays because of his experience, which leaves probably one spot for Caussin or Pianalto.

Prediction: Pianalto's ability in the passing game is intriguing enough that he hangs on, along with Martin.

-------

And of course, there's the question of whether the Bills use a roster spot for Mount Jasper, or do they try to squirrel him away on the PS? It seems clear he's not NFL-ready, technique wise, at this point.

What do you know, a well thought-out post from eball. I agree with virtually everything you said. I agree with the LB's to the man. I think they may even keep 7 WR's and just keep Roosevelt, but I certainly agree w/ the other 6. I think they're just gonna count Brad Smith as the 3rd QB and just keep Fitz and Thigpen (kind of obvious at this point). I've never heard of this TE you speak of, but I agree w/ your take on Nelson and I agree that it's Chandler's job to lose. Sidenote: whatever happened to Stuppar? Also I think that all Jasper has to do is show a glimpse and he's on the team because as people have speculated, I think he'd get picked up by someone else pretty quick.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

1. Lee

2. Stevie

4. Jones

5. Roosevelt

6. Nelson

Rumor from ESPN...

A Suitor for Evans??

UPDATE: Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 has reported that the Arizona Cardinals are "showing interest" in acquiring wide receiver Lee Evans from the Buffalo Bills. The issue could be trade cost: remember, the Cards are without their second-rounder for 2012 after the Kevin Kolb trade.

We're still not entirely convinced the Bills actually want to trade the potentially explosive WR who is under contract at a very reasonable rate for the next two seasons. But if they are, the Cards do make sense on some level.

---

During an appearance on WGR-550 AM in Buffalo back in June, Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick hinted that we could be seeing more targets for Lee Evans this season. "I'm looking to get [Evans] way more involved in the offense this year," Fitzpatrick confirmed.

However, Dan Pompei of National Football Post presents a different idea within his "Sunday Blitz" column: the team could be looking to trade the Wisconsin product.

"The Bills have a crowd at the receiver position after the acquisition of Brad Smith. The former Jet joins Lee Evans, Steve Johnson and Robert Parrish, so don't be surprised if the Bills part ways with Evans," Pompei writes. "The veteran had a down year in 2010 with only 37 catches, and he could have some trade value. Interesting parties have been sniffing around."

As we know, Smith has been designated as a quarterback by the team, and he's expected to play a versatile role all over the field, not just wideout. Moreover, with all respect due to Johnson for his breakout season in 2010, the team doesn't have another player of Evans' caliber on the roster. In addition, according to Rotoworld, Evans is under contract with the team for base salaries of $3.275 million (plus $1.5 million in roster bonuses each year), which is a very organization-friendly price. Unless the teams that are "sniffing around" are also willing to part with significant assets, it wouldn't seem like trading Evans would be of great benefit to the team.

- Tim Kavanagh

Heard on Sirius NFL radio this morning that Evans may be going to Arizona. That would shake things up a bit and if that happens, I believe that Davis and Naaman make the cut and Easley goes to the practice squad.

What do you know, a well thought-out post from eball. I agree with virtually everything you said. I agree with the LB's to the man. I think they may even keep 7 WR's and just keep Roosevelt, but I certainly agree w/ the other 6. I think they're just gonna count Brad Smith as the 3rd QB and just keep Fitz and Thigpen (kind of obvious at this point). I've never heard of this TE you speak of, but I agree w/ your take on Nelson and I agree that it's Chandler's job to lose. Sidenote: whatever happened to Stuppar? Also I think that all Jasper has to do is show a glimpse and he's on the team because as people have speculated, I think he'd get picked up by someone else pretty quick.

Funny how you equate "well thought-out" with "something I agree with."

Given Easley's setback, I don't see Evans or Parrish being moved. And Roosevelt isn't going anywhere. If Easley can't make it back soon and stay healthy (finally!), he'll be cut and probably put on the PS. The same goes for Shawn Nelson, i.e. if he can't stay healthy, he's gone, but he's not PS eligible IIRC.

And Maybin is a sure goner.

I wouldn't say Donald Jones is a lock to make this team. I think as of now he will, but if Buster Davis can show some skills on Special Teams too I wouldn't be all that surprised if he made it in favor of him. As for TE, I think Nelson is the odd man out at this point. He's hurt once again, hasn't showed anything when he is healthy and since Chandler and Martin are both looking solid, Nelson has to compete with desperate undrafted rookies like Pinalto who don't look all that bad.

Heard on Sirius NFL radio this morning that Evans may be going to Arizona. That would shake things up a bit and if that happens, I believe that Davis and Naaman make the cut and Easley goes to the practice squad.

Should that happen, that sounds like a logical possibility. I would lean towards Easley making the team if healthy. I like evans, and I don't see his kind of speed anywhere else on our roster that we could replace him with....BUT we do have a lot of WR depth, so it would make some sort of sense.

He might do pretty well in AZ, Kolb with Fitzgerald on the other side...They might even put Evans in the slot.

If we DO trade him...PICK UP O linesmen, since we will have even MORE cap space and picks. He doesn't have to be great, just better than what we have...Actually, we should do this regardless of Evans.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Given Easley's setback, I don't see Evans or Parrish being moved. And Roosevelt isn't going anywhere. If Easley can't make it back soon and stay healthy (finally!), he'll be cut and probably put on the PS. The same goes for Shawn Nelson, i.e. if he can't stay healthy, he's gone, but he's not PS eligible IIRC.

And Maybin is a sure goner.

I am not sure why Roosevelt seems to be such a "lock". I know he's easy to root for, but looked very easy to cover in his brief playing time last year, and dropped a few easy ones. I think there are guys with a much higher upside on this roster. I'm not smashing him, he very much has a chance to make the team...But with the pickups of Smith and Davis, he seems to be on the outside looking in right now. I also don't seem him beating out Jones, who looked faster and more physical, as well as being a solid ST guy.

Rumor from ESPN...

A Suitor for Evans??

UPDATE: Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 has reported that the Arizona Cardinals are "showing interest" in acquiring wide receiver Lee Evans from the Buffalo Bills. The issue could be trade cost: remember, the Cards are without their second-rounder for 2012 after the Kevin Kolb trade.

We're still not entirely convinced the Bills actually want to trade the potentially explosive WR who is under contract at a very reasonable rate for the next two seasons. But if they are, the Cards do make sense on some level.

---

During an appearance on WGR-550 AM in Buffalo back in June, Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick hinted that we could be seeing more targets for Lee Evans this season. "I'm looking to get [Evans] way more involved in the offense this year," Fitzpatrick confirmed.

However, Dan Pompei of National Football Post presents a different idea within his "Sunday Blitz" column: the team could be looking to trade the Wisconsin product.

"The Bills have a crowd at the receiver position after the acquisition of Brad Smith. The former Jet joins Lee Evans, Steve Johnson and Robert Parrish, so don't be surprised if the Bills part ways with Evans," Pompei writes. "The veteran had a down year in 2010 with only 37 catches, and he could have some trade value. Interesting parties have been sniffing around."

As we know, Smith has been designated as a quarterback by the team, and he's expected to play a versatile role all over the field, not just wideout. Moreover, with all respect due to Johnson for his breakout season in 2010, the team doesn't have another player of Evans' caliber on the roster. In addition, according to Rotoworld, Evans is under contract with the team for base salaries of $3.275 million (plus $1.5 million in roster bonuses each year), which is a very organization-friendly price. Unless the teams that are "sniffing around" are also willing to part with significant assets, it wouldn't seem like trading Evans would be of great benefit to the team.

- Tim Kavanagh

The tall receiver we have been looking for?