Do we really need Lee Evans?

I have been following camp pretty closely and have noticed that there have been a lot of balls under-thrown/over-thrown when going to Lee in particular. I have also noticed that Stevie is getting more tosses than Lee. It just seems Fitz and Lee were not connecting as efficiently as the younger guys. I am in no way insinuating that this has been Lees fault, but I can see how the coaches and front office would feel like the younger players are deserving of chance.

Chris Brown has reported that Lee wanted the trade and under those circumstances the decision becomes an easy one. This front office does not appear to want to keep guys on this team if they do not want to be here. I see this trade as a way for both Lee and the Bills to get, at the very least, something out of it.

I was outraged at first, and I thought this was strictly a management decision that came down and surprised everyone, including Lee. At the end of the day maybe this was the best move available. Good luck, Lee. We will miss you, but forgive me if I don't cry over your leaving. Moving on.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the Fitz interview on the D&C site. The team is demoralized. I'm all for giving young players a chance to shine, but there are intelligent ways to do it. You don't do it by giving a moderately productive, respected vet away for a box of tape. That's just dumb ass. If you don't think teams plan for Evans and that opens up other receivers than you don't understand the game.

He may have been a one trick pony, but it was a pretty cool trick...

All I'll say is that the majority of posters on this board collectively have a higher football IQ than our front office and our owner.

C

Take a look at the Fitz interview on the D&C site. The team is demoralized. I'm all for giving young players a chance to shine, but there are intelligent ways to do it. You don't do it by giving a moderately productive, respected vet away for a box of tape. That's just dumb ass. If you don't think teams plan for Evans and that opens up other receivers than you don't understand the game.

All I'll say is that the majority of posters on this board collectively have a higher football IQ than our front office and our owner.

C

Before you question poster's IQ levels, go and look at what comparable WRs have gotten in return during the past couple of seasons. You can debate the merits of trading him/keeping him, but we are lucky to have gotten a 4th in return.

Edited by stony

Before you question poster's IQ levels, go and look at what comparable WRs have gotten in return during the past couple of seasons. You can debate the merits of trading him/keeping him, but we are lucky to have gotten a 4th in return.

I'm not questioning our posters' IQs, I'm questioning the Front Office's IQ. Draft picks are a question of supply & demand. Chris Chambers was traded for a 2nd Round pick. Evans was worth at least a 3rd. He could have easily been traded later in the season - the deadline is mid Oct. I would have gladly carried him for a month in order to get a better deal.

Trust me - the fifth string in our WR corps is not a precious commodity. Evans is.

Check out this article:

Moving On W/Out Evans

or this:

Matthews On Evans Trade

Damn just trade all of our best players, better yet just cut everybody & sign guys out of the parking lot to play because its clear we are not trying to win

I agree, they traded more than what they got on the field from Evans, he was the veteran leadership in the clubhouse. Hell, trade Williams and anyone else that doesn't go around writing things on their T-Shirts and getting suspensions just to draw some attention to themselves. This moronic front office and the fans that think Stevie Johnson is ready to be a #1 reciever will see what Lee Evans brought when Stevie doesn't come close to his 2010 numbers, because he will be drawing all the double teams that Evans got last year. This front office has f-cked up almost everything they have done since they got here. They bombed their first draft big time-the biggest draft bust of the first round, if not the whole draft. They were unable to bring any big name players here because of their cheapness and the bad reputation this organization has. They let the teams leading tackler leave, a guy who really wanted to stay here, but they lowballed him. They now have two linebackers to played a total of 3.5 games out of a possible 36 games last year due to injury. We have a quarterback who the whole world, minus some dilusional Bills fans, knows we will never compete with anyone but other terrible teams like ourselves-and they act like they don't even notice (maybe they don't?). I have read a few times on here that trading Evans wasn't a salary dump. They cut Evans and replaced him with another of Buddy Nix's first round busts who is making minimum salary, if that isn't a salary dump then such a thing doesn't exist. This team will never get it right until there is a new owner, with a vision towards winning not only getting rich, but filthy rich at the fan's expense.

C

You are 1000000000000000% correct. And as far as football IQ's, I have seen fantasy league owners that could do better than what we have here.

I continue to love how Bills fans are happy to say sayonara to a bona fide league-wide starter (meaning that he'd start for the vast majority of nfl teams) because we can replace him easily with top 5 picks like David Nelson and Donald Jones.

There's a reason why the Bills have what may well be the worst pool of talent in the league.

Where they even draft picks? I think at least Nelson was an undrafted FA.

Logic. You used that word, "Logic". I do not think it means what you think it means.

So if you know Buster's history with SD, riddle me this: what's the straight gouge on his lack of productivity for the Bolts, despite all that butt-working off?

Seriously, would like to hear from someone knowledgeable on that point.

That is where he got his nickname.

I'm not a Lee Evans 'homer' and I certainly feel like I am over the fact that he is gone. That being said, if you think he has lost a step or you think he wasn't valuable last season, go back and watch the game against the Ravens. I think he had nearly 150 yards and 3 touchdowns....yeah, he sure has lost a step.

@Billsfreak

You are right the only reason Stevie Johnson had a good 2010 was because of Lee Evans, Evans got doubled team every play and now Johnson is going to get it because now nobody is going to fear the rest of our wideouts or tight ends and forget about a running game because there will be eight in the box every play

@Billsfreak

You are right the only reason Stevie Johnson had a good 2010 was because of Lee Evans, Evans got doubled team every play and now Johnson is going to get it because now nobody is going to fear the rest of our wideouts or tight ends and forget about a running game because there will be eight in the box every play

I didn't say that Evans was the only reason Johnson had a decent year, but if you think it isn't different being the #1 and the #2 you know absolutely nothing about football. Not sure how long you have been a Bills fan, or that you even are, but if you remember the huge numbers that Peerless Price put up with Moulds the #1 receiver, then what he did in Atlanta when he got big bucks to the their #1, this could be exactly the same thing for Johnson. Let's hope he has another big year, but I am not putting his name on the Wall of Fame yet like alot of people on this forum are.

I'm not questioning our posters' IQs, I'm questioning the Front Office's IQ. Draft picks are a question of supply & demand. Chris Chambers was traded for a 2nd Round pick. Evans was worth at least a 3rd.

Remember what they said about Chris Chambers? He's been held back by the poor play of AJ Feeley, Jay Fiedler, Gus Frerotte, Joey Harrington, and Cleo Lemon. Imagine how good he will be with Philip Rivers? But the fact was that he was about 30 years old and was separated from his best season (2005) by 2 years. Sound familiar?

A 3rd for Evans? How is Evans worth a 3rd at 30 coming off too poor seasons when Boldin was only worth a 3rd and a 5th at 29 and coming off two very good seasons.

I am not convinced that we have all that depth at wide receiver. Do we have a lot of guys who wear wide receiver numbers? Yup...but Stevie is the only real proven starter. I would have kept Evans unless and untile someone took the job from him. I suspect that wouldn't have happened. Trading him was a mistake.

I didn't say that Evans was the only reason Johnson had a decent year, but if you think it isn't different being the #1 and the #2 you know absolutely nothing about football. Not sure how long you have been a Bills fan, or that you even are, but if you remember the huge numbers that Peerless Price put up with Moulds the #1 receiver, then what he did in Atlanta when he got big bucks to the their #1, this could be exactly the same thing for Johnson. Let's hope he has another big year, but I am not putting his name on the Wall of Fame yet like alot of people on this forum are.

I agree, but Fitz and SJ had the very big (imo) advantage of working out together as second stringers. Fitz is VERY smart, and I am positive that Fitz taught SJ a few things. And, they used this time to develop a chemistry.

We might be in for a rough year offensively, but it would have been rough with or without Lee Evans. This is not to say I like the trade, but they have greater needs than wideout.

I think this says that the Bills want to see what the opponents will do now that Lee Evans isn't drawing double coverage.

Are they going to double cover Stevie if he's just running slants and short routes?

Run support?

Maybe they want the safeties to cheat in so they can sneak Spiller or others deep and hit some big plays.

How did opponents play us when Lee was hurt?