Do fans really believe we can compete above .500 in 2011?

Let them go. I see this every year - there's an element of radical optimist fans who believe you're not really a fan unless you predict playoffs this season (because, hey - THIS is our year). If you say you think the team is weak, the team sucks, the team can't compete you're labeled a heretic and people wonder why you bother to be a Bills fan. I love having my 35+ years of being a fan called into question by someone too young to even remember seeing Jim Kelly play. What's funny is that if you save a link to this thread and come back to it when the Bills go 2-6 over the first half of the season these same optimists are the most suicidal screaming and crying about how bad the team is and how they are never going to win - happens every year.

Hmmm... That's actually not my experience. I find that the the optimists either remain optimistic by finding the bright side of things (moral victories, young player development, etc) or becoming apathetic and quiet. It's the pessimists that take the wailing and crying to a whole new level, blaming the weather, Ralph, the moon and/or Santa Claus.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... That's actually not my experience. I find that the the optimists either remain optimistic by finding the bright side of things (moral victories, young player development, etc) or becoming apathetic and quiet. It's the pessimists that take the wailing and crying to a whole new level, blaming the weather, Ralph, the moon and/or Santa Claus.

The "pessimists" blame the Bills in some capacity. A particular player like Trent last season. Or TO not trying for example. Or ****ty coaching, decent players not wanting to live in Buffalo, Ralph being cheap and so on.

The "optimists" tend to blame bad luck, injuries, the refs being biased (if you don't think this is true read some threads from last season, they were an eye opener), the media hating Buffalo, the NFL wanting to move the Bills out of Buffalo, Ralph for the Toronto series and so on.

The only common ground seems to be blaming Mr. Wilson.

At least that's what I remember from seasons past.

Edited by CodeMonkey

nope. Playing against the NFC East which is one of the most competitive divisions in the league, and twice against the Jets and Pats? I dont think so.

The NFC is one of the most competitive divisions in the league? To my eyes, the Skins are awful, the Cowboys might be on the upswing with a new HC but just as likely to be mediocre again, the Iggles are slapping together a bunch of parts from all over the league, many of them thinking they are numero uno, with Vince Young as the back-up, and the Giants are, well, the Giants. This is not the best division by any means.

On a side note, if this team goes 9-7 they should be featured on Hard Knocks next year.

Wow, so being a Bills fan is based on the hopes we are on some b/s show. The determining factor of whether I buy NFL Sunday ticket isn't based on the previous years win record, but on how much can I afford to buy my wife so I can appease her. I've seen teams go from crap to kings, and to get down on a team that went toe to toe with the Steelers, Ravens and even the Patriots. I'm not scared of the NFC East, only the Eagles are a top tier team. One last point if you know the Bills are going to win or lose a game then why do they play the game??? That's right because of a known fact that pops up every Sunday "Any given Sunday any team can win no matter what (PERIOD)." You so called fans make me sick, what kind of Western New Yorker are you??? That's right the kind that complain about no job, so you sit on your A$$ collect unemployment, and complain about how crappy the Bills are on this forum. God help this pathetic group of citizens, and if I wanted to be apart of a pathetic fan base I would route for the Dallas Cowboys.

I purposely posted this prior to the pre-season and regular season. Looking at this roster on paper I still think we are in yet another rebuilding season. Fitz is still a question mark, the o-line is a question mark, D-Line (while greatly improved), LB's and our secondary is a question mark. Special teams last year were solid minus some Moorman struggles. I'm not really concerned about ST.

I just can't put on the rose colored glasses like I have in previous years thinking we are going to win 9 -10 games. Realistically, I see this as a 4-5 win season if we stay reasonable healthy. Looking at the depth (or lack there of) of this roster this season could get ugly if we have some serious injuries at any combination of these question mark positions.

I'm not a doom and gloom type guy but I still think we are a few more years out to get to 9 win seasons.

If there was anytime I want to be wrong is on this topic. :) Go Bills!

I'll say this. I have unrealistic expectations for this season, but I am not going to hold it against Nix and Gailey if we get another 4 win flop. I made up my mind that I would extend 2 seasons of denial to them to ensure my mental wellbeing. I predict .500 in our division and a 10 and 6 record. We beat the Jets in the AFC Championship game, extending Ryan to 0-3 in THE BIG ONE, and crush the Packers in the SUPER BOWL. Fitz goes to Disney Land.

Every year that the playoff-less streak grows, and as every sad season goes by the optimism gets less and less. We always hope that this is the year it finally takes an upward trend, but I would rather be pessimistic and be surprised then continue to be disappointed year after year.

This is a description of personal depression. http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/where-to-get-help-for-depression/

Except that optimists are not just found on losing teams. They are also found on winning teams. You make sound as if they are delusional or something. Even an optimist is right from time to time.

I don't understand how some people think that by bitching about the team they are going to change anything. We are stuck with the team whether they are perennial playoff contenders or not. What, you think because some couch jockeys pitch a fit or blame the organization for losing seasons that the front office or Ralph is going to go out of their way to do more than they already are. Either support the team or don't. You could boycott ticket sales, but all that will do is move the team to a different city and the 95% of Bills fans who love the team unconditionally (and yes losing is painful, and the ridicule from friends about how we suck gets old) lose out.

I feel vented

This will be my evaluation of our team for this year. Its not the first game against the Patsies or Jets. its how we play the second one. Do we smarten up, have we developed during the season? did we learn. With different players on both sides having new strengths and hopefully new weaknesses(them ), its kinda like a second half adjustment. I wonder how we will do.

Since this is based on what we know only from the "on paper" stuff and the limited exposure to talent in camp, can the people who think this team is going to lose 11 or 12 games tell me what those games will be on the schedule. I can name at least 5 non-divisional games which the Bills should have at least an even chance in winning.

I purposely posted this prior to the pre-season and regular season. Looking at this roster on paper I still think we are in yet another rebuilding season. Fitz is still a question mark, the o-line is a question mark, D-Line (while greatly improved), LB's and our secondary is a question mark. Special teams last year were solid minus some Moorman struggles. I'm not really concerned about ST.

I just can't put on the rose colored glasses like I have in previous years thinking we are going to win 9 -10 games. Realistically, I see this as a 4-5 win season if we stay reasonable healthy. Looking at the depth (or lack there of) of this roster this season could get ugly if we have some serious injuries at any combination of these question mark positions.

I'm not a doom and gloom type guy but I still think we are a few more years out to get to 9 win seasons.

If there was anytime I want to be wrong is on this topic. :) Go Bills!

I agree on some and question some.

I think Fitz is decent, and not much of a question mark. He is smart and knows how to get rid of the ball quickly. This will help the O-line. He is a gun slinger, and will try to force throws, but he is money some of the time also. Take the good with the bad. Fitz does put up yards and finds the end zone. With another year of Gailey, some health to the o-line, and decent receivers (maybe a T.E) things could go well for Fitz.

If we can get someone serviceable to man the RT we might b alright on the O line.

Special teams were NOT SO SOLID in my opinion. We were probable worse than in recent years. (Kicking, punting & returning were all down)

I dont think we r super bowl bound, but i feel we can get to .500! Injuries play a factor into everything!

W1 @ KC - L 0-1

W2 vs OAK - W 1-1

W3 vs NE - W 2-1

W4 @ CIN - W 3-1

W5 vs PHI - L 3-2

W6 @ NYG - L 3-3

W7 BYE

W8 vs WAS - W 4-3

W9 vs NYJ L - 4-4

W10 @ DAL - W 5-4

W11 @ MIA - W 6-4

W12 @ NYJ - L 6-5

W13 vs TEN - L 6-6

W14 @ SD - W 7-6

W15 vs MIA - W 8-6

W16 vs DEN - W 9-6

W17 @ NE - L 9-7

i am a bills fan and every season i always "billieve" we will make the playoffs or at least win more than we lose.why be a fan of our buffalo bills if you think they are going to fail???

I think you can still billieve and think they aren't going to do well. I really think we are headed in the right direction with Chan - but if they win more than 6 this year it will be a miracle - I think we are still 2 years away. I feel like we made some good picks in the draft and I would much rather do what Buddy and chan are doing by getting free agents they think are real upgrades rather than "big name" additions a la the Pats. Of course it always seems to work for them but I guess you have to get the winning mentality back first. I can root this year for the future-- I just can't do that every year!

I took the title of this thread wrong. I thought you were asking if we could compete against teams that are at or above .500 since we've fared so poorly against those teams for years. My answer to that would be that we'll do better but still lose the majority of them. Back on topic I'd say no, we'll win 5 or 6 games this year but I'm hoping for 7 or 8.