Some thoughts for the first week

jahnyc

1. I like Gailey and he seems to have the players excited about the offense and his system. He is a huge upgrade in his experience and creativity, and the results were noticeable last year. With another year, we should see more improvement from the offense.

2. Not sure why we did not get more players at RG and RT in free agency. Seems like a real weakness, and I am concerned about having Pears at RT. I get building through the draft, but that makes a lot more sense when you have young players ready to step in who only need more experience to be starting caliber. This is not the case at RT. Nothing wrong with picking up some free agents who can contribute immediately at positions of great need, particularly with the Bills significantly under the cap.

3. Please do not trade Evans or McGee. Evans has been a solid player and leader, and his experience must be helpful to the younger receivers. In addition, he still has great speed and is a legitimate deep threat. With McGee, he seems healthy again and McKelvin has not developed as expected for a high first round draft pick. The Bills certainly do not need to trade/cut any players for financial reasons.

4. We can now confirm how bad our drafting has been over the last number of years, which combined with our inability to retain players that we wanted, has left this team in need of a significant infusion of talent. McCargo, Whitner, Poz, Edwards, and Lynch are all gone. Maybin still appears to be a bust, and McKelvin has been disappointing. Hopefully, Nix will prove to be a better drafter of talent, but he should not get a free pass if Spiller is a bust. Our first round selections have been horrible.

5. It seems that Gailey and the Bills players have created a good atmosphere in the locker room. I like to hear that.

6. Will Wang make the team this year?

6. Will Wang make the team this year?

Several of the practice reports I've read have said that Wang has been getting beat by Maybin in 1 on 1's. That's a bad sign. On the other hand, out of Rinehart, Wrotto, Wang, and Cordaro Howard, Wang is the only one who remotely projects to LT, so maybe he's got a chance in that regard.

Oh, and Buddy Nix wants me to remind everyone that our OTs are better than most people think they are. It must be true, because he says it a lot.

Several of the practice reports I've read have said that Wang has been getting beat by Maybin in 1 on 1's. That's a bad sign. On the other hand, out of Rinehart, Wrotto, Wang, and Cordaro Howard, Wang is the only one who remotely projects to LT, so maybe he's got a chance in that regard.

Oh, and Buddy Nix wants me to remind everyone that our OTs are better than most people think they are. It must be true, because he says it a lot.

Really? The two practices I went to, Wang handled Maybin easily everytime. And they were matched up a lot.

I think the Bills will be average this year, however I'm pretty excited to see if Fitz can have an even better year, and I'm looking forward to see Dareus and all our draft picks. I think the Bills offensive line will be ok, but I do think they are still pretty underrated. The left side of the line is solid, I like Bell, Levirte, and Wood. Pears will be an upgrade compared to Cornell Green. And when Urbik played last year I thought he was fine. I don't believe are defense got any weaker, we only lost Poz and Whitner. Now in Poz's place will be Nick Barnett. Also we have a healthy Merrimen. All in all I think the Bills are going to be fine this year and will only improve upon last year.

Wang with the ones today FWIW.

I heard just the opposite. I heard Wang owned Maybin in 1 on 1 drills.

Sounds like Bell is not seriously injured, but I am worried about our starters and our back-ups at the offensive tackle position. I would be very concerned having Wang at left tackle at any point during the regular season. Free agents can be picked up for depth as well, and I think the Bills should have looked for starters and/or depth at the tackle position.

I wonder if the Bills regret not pursuing Willie Colon when he was available.

I don't know if I could root for them if that were the case. The OL would be...

Wang, Levitre, Wood, Urbick, Colon...

What nickname would you give em?

Correction "The Erection Company" was the winning entry.

Why would you want cockblockers on your team? No one likes a cockblocker.

Because we're cockblocking the other team… and if you're paying homage to the Electric Company, shouldn't it be the Erectric Company?

I'm sticking with the Cockblockers. No one's gonna get around or through them.

Because we're cockblocking the other team… and if you're paying homage to the Electric Company, shouldn't it be the Erectric Company?

I'm sticking with the Cockblockers. No one's gonna get around or through them.

I like "The Offensive Loin " better.