an observation about our team

rpcolosi

Alright so I am going to get bashed for this, but I've been noticing a theme lately, and Nick Barnett confirmed it:

..."you know, they pray after every practice, and I love that..."

Gailey is a man of faith, not unlike Tony Dungy, Dan Reeves, Love Smith, etc.. Naturally this board has gotten pissed about bringing up such obvious things, but hear me out.

Marv/DJ always talked about character guys, yet drafted a few schmucks like Whitner (bar fight), ko simpson (i'm ko simpson biatch!) and lynch (lets not go there), but 'stressed' high character. Perhaps his actions just didn't match his heart, who knows. However, you don't hear Nix/Gailey mention it quite as much, but its writing is everywhere, whether it has a God-based theme or not. I'm not saying its a formula for winning, but I am saying it develops a family atmosphere, exactly what Barnett touched on. Don't disregard this as mumbo-jumbo. These are things players like and look for. Ray Lews has developed a family nature of sorts in Baltimore, Rex Ryan has definitely developed that in NY in short order, and like the approach or not, Gailey is doing the exact same thing here Yes, winning helps foster that atmosphere but not always (look at the bickering bills). To finish up my point just look at the kinds of things FA and draftees have said in the news, and tell me there isn't a pattern. Whether it translates to winning, no one can say, but it does develop a sense of family and for a team that was sorely lacking that under DJ, Mulark and Williams, I for one appreciate it. It is the start to having an identity again. (Thanks http://www.buffalorumblings.com/ for the twitter quotes)

Shep after signing: "Finally just got the call I been patiently waiting for!! All I can say is God works in sooooo many different ways!!!! Can't wait to drive over and make it official then hitting the interstate and off to go join the rest of my #bills fam and get to work!!!!"

aaron williams: "I wanna thank my lord and savior #JesusChrist as he has answer another prayer," tweeted the cornerback. "Contract complete time to head to training camp!"

da'norris searcy: " #blessed to be able to start my journey wit #BILLS"

in regards to spiller after referencing a tim tebow quote in college : The former Heisman winner (Tebow) was a player Spiller always admired from a distance, a devout Christian like himself.

michael jasper (from generation waterfowl video, which is awesome and shows he is hands down the Bill I want to meet and chill with, 400lbs and blasts trap and skeet???): "I'm just gonna stay myself, stay in the church... stay who I am, don't let anything go to your head... Let people know it's not me, it's God who gave me this... Be a positive influence with what I've got... To touch other people..."

and who can forget stevie johnson last year. Anyways, I just wanted to point out my observations, I'm sure others have noticed, but I wanted to point it out since i think it's worth noting.

Edited by rpcolosi

I doubt any were drafted or signed because of their faith, but as a coach I can tell you, if all other things are equal, you go with the person of higher character, you can trust them, and they will always work hard.

I know that's not politically correct, but whom would you rather invest millions of dollars in? or a college scholarship in? the person who is respectful, humble, considerate, self-controlled, and grounded, etc., or anything the opposite of those qualities? And yes, although not always the case, such trustworthy people usually have a well developed and meaninful personal faith. Or maybe a better way to say it, people with a genuine personal faith are usually pretty trustworthy individuals.

Edited by CSBill

I doubt any were drafted or signed because of their faith, but as a coach I can tell you, if all other things are equal, you go with the person of higher character, you can trust them, and they will always work hard.

I know that's not politically correct, but whom would you rather invest millions of dollars in? or a college scholarship in? the person who is respectful, humble, considerate, self-controlled, and grounded, etc., or anything the opposite of those qualities? And yes, although not always the case, such trustworthy people usually have a well developed and meaninful personal faith. Or maybe a better way to say it, people with a genuine personal faith are usually pretty trustworthy individuals.

exactly. they are dang good football players first. I'd argue their character stems from their faith, and frankly, I think a bunch of self-motivated, humble, team first guys can go a long, long ways towards developing a winning culture and good environment.

um...... I don't mind it, it is okay but if they play football real good and somehow that helps the team in the big picture but I don't care about their faith. The whole Christianity thing is fine if you want that and don't push it on me.

I'm not really sure if this is actually Nix/Gailey's thing, especially when I look at religious demographics in the United States (particularly in the black community). Fact is, almost 80% of this nation is Christian, so it stands to reason that almost 80% of American football players will be too (it's probably more than that, if we're honest, considering the southern background that many of these football players come from).

Edited by LeviF91

I'm not going to "bash" the OP, but in my 42+ years of life experience I've found that rarely (if ever) is one's character a function of whether or not he is a man of faith.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Prolly better on PPP, but please tell me we are not equating character with faith. Actions matter, tweeting not so much. And no, I do not want humble nice guys here..i want cocky som bitches on the field like Bruce, Jimbo, Talley, Reed, ,Tasker, Conlon, Thurman ...none who whispered zip about their faith but stayed out of trouble but got us to Super Bowls.

You all have same reaction if someone tweeted.."Allah Akbar..got me a new contract" !!!! I don't think so..

If religion brings them closer to each other and they win more games as a result, then I'm all for it.

In fact, I find myself sorta jealous of their faith and what the emotional/spiritual benefits they receive. I just don't have the Faith for it.

I'm not going to "bash" the OP, but in my 42+ years of life experience I've found that rarely (if ever) is one's character a function of whether or not he is a man of faith.

Perfectly stated. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Perfectly stated. I was thinking the exact same thing.

I agree with you gentlemen on this.

It does seem like a lot of our players are very religious though. If it is a commonality that brings them together and (more importantly IMO) makes them a better team, then have at it.

Whatever it takes to bring them together and start winning, I'm all for it. If faith is gonna get us to the playoffs, bring it on!!! You can have faith and still be a cocky som B word, kinda like being a defender of the faith, a soldier and protecter of the charging buffalo, leading them over that last river that the Bills havent crossed yet. GO Bills !

Edited by Speedy G

Some of the most outwardly religious people I have seen have been the most untrustworthy.

PTR