moving to buffalo

benbillsfan

im from chicago and was born and raised here...but something in me is pulling me to move to my favorite football team..i will get season tickets and have had them for the bears for years...but i really want to know if there are some nice areas of buffalo to live in? and please refrain from calling it a crappy city and im a moron replys..im dead serious and work form home owning my own business...my lease is up in december and would love to move there in jan...any ideas on nice neighborhoods?

Buffalo is what it is. It's not NYC/Boston/Chicago/LA . But it's a great small/medium sized city that feels more like a big town. There is rarely traffic, you can get to most anywhere you want in 15-20 minutes. We have less weather extremes than chicago our temperatures are more stable. If you are concerned about the snow reputation we are pretty good at getting it removed and it rarely slows us down. It's a great place to raise a family, good schools and neighborhoods. In the summer there are festivals every weekend and always something to do.

Depends what you are looking for? what type of area do you want to live? there are a few areas in the city itself that are nice to live in, lots of nice suburbs and even nice country towns to live in that you can be downtown in 25 minutes.

The people here are real and not phony or fake. Our waterfront is developing and being revived. We have plenty of outdoor activities year round if thats what your intereseted in. Property values are very reasonably compared to big cities. You can find a really nice house in a great suburb like Orchard Park/Hamburg/East Aurora for less than 200,000. The one drawback to living here are dysfunctional politicians and high taxes but if your from Chicago you are probably used to that. oh and as a side note we have awesome local restaurants and great food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/best-cities-to-move-to-in-america.html

give us a little more feedback on what you are looking for?

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

You can live very well in the Buffalo area if you are employed. Coming from Chicago you will be pleasantly surprised by housing prices. Orchard Park is an excellent community, and it is where the stadium is located. As previously stated, Clarence and Amherst are also nice. In addition there are some nice condos on the waterfront downtown with great views of the lake, the Canadian shore and amazing sunsets.

Further south of the city are some nice smaller semi rural towns, like Boston, Eden, And Colden.

Lived here all my life, and love. The winters are overrated, and the summers vastly underrrated.

Buffalo is what it is. It's not NYC/Boston/Chicago/LA . But it's a great small/medium sized city that feels more like a big town - Have to disagree. I would equate it more to a large city that has shrunk into a small city but refuses to go quietly.

If you are concerned about the snow reputation we are pretty good at getting it removed and it rarely slows us down - But it still sucks.

It's a great place to raise a family, good schools and neighborhoods. In the summer there are festivals every weekend and always something to do - Same as Chicago.

Depends what you are looking for? what type of area do you want to live? there are a few areas in the city itself that are nice to live in, lots of nice suburbs and even nice country towns to live in that you can be downtown in 25 minutes - No matter what you are looking for - you can find it in WNY...and cheap!

The people here are real and not phony or fake - Perhaps not, but they are on the whole a lot of the most miserable and downtrodden people I have ever met.

Our waterfront is developing and being revived - This warcry has been going on for the past 25 years...the only development that is clearly visible are the windmills and cleanup of ghetto beach.

We have plenty of outdoor activities year round if thats what your intereseted in - This is true...an outdoorman's paradise to be true. Excellent fishing and hunting abound.

Property values are very reasonably compared to big cities - but it is not a big city. Property prices are stagnent and that is just fine - buy a cheap house and invest in the savings...you will be better off in the long run.

Oh and as a side note we have awesome local restaurants and great food - Perhaps you have not been to Chicago - while the restaurants are OK in Buffalo, let's not get carried away here.

I did not want to reinvent the wheel, so took the thorough writings of this man and elaborated somewhat. Look, if you are fortunate enough to be able to work from home and can live anywhere, why not Buffalo? Especially if you are an outdoorsy person. Cheaper than most places and there is where your favorite team is! But be forewarned, it's not going to be all the romantic Norman Rockwell stuff people will put up on your post. Take the good with the bad...the only wicked drawback I have there include(1) If you have to fly a lot - travel is much more difficult than from a major city (too many connectors needed) and (2) There are some really miserable people that live there. I suggest you check it out in the Summer and in the Winter before deciding...

First, stay away from Fisher Court. You're paying inflated home prices with few amenities to show for it. The homes prices there are artificially inflated due to poor soil conditions and the need for expensive basement remedies to ensure the homes stand up. Also, a high level of engineering was required to get the project permitted due to floodplain and other obstacles. Too much of the home prices is not reflected in the structure. There was a model there for abotu 2 years or more that no one would touch due to the high price and nothing to show for it. Run, don't walk, away from that place. That doesn't even take into account that its adjacent to the NYS thruway and the high levels of traffic and air pollution to the a toll barrier a few hundred yards away. During peak traffic hours, traffic is backed-up andf basically on some Fisher Court backyards! Oh, one airport runway is a few hundred yards away too.

PM me if you want. I'm not a realtor but have extensive background and conducted research on the region's housing market and specific neighborhoods.

yes, OP, amherst, clarence are nice.

if you have the money to live there i would suggest living in one of the nicer areas WITHIN the city limits. anywhere around delaware park is nice and you get a lot of bang for your buck. same goes for allentown. and i dont mean the fixer-uppers that yippies and hipsters are moving into (although in a few years we will all be grateful for them). park, irving, oakland, and richmond have beautiful homes that are as nice as any of those in the suburbs. there are plenty of streets around the elmwood village that are well very reasonably priced, and you would be living in the most vibrant neighborhood in the area.

i know there are many parts of buffalo that look like beirut. but the more people move back into the city itself and cease the sprawl that has seemingly doomed urban development, the less of these eyesores there will be.

also, beware of rampant racism and redneck chicanery in the suburbs, unless you're into that sort of thing. even within the city limits there is quite a bit of neighborhood segregation. but some of the neighborhoods and areas i've mentioned have a nice mix of ethnicity and culture. buffalo is becoming more and more international, as we welcome african and east asian refugees. these refugees are happy to be here and are working hard to better the neighborhoods where they reside - particularly the lower west side and the northern fringes of downtown.

lastly, although i feel you need to visit to fully appreciate the atmosphere, this is a neat video showcasing some local highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNYue0Os55A

im from chicago and was born and raised here...but something in me is pulling me to move to my favorite football team..i will get season tickets and have had them for the bears for years...but i really want to know if there are some nice areas of buffalo to live in? and please refrain from calling it a crappy city and im a moron replys..im dead serious and work form home owning my own business...my lease is up in december and would love to move there in jan...any ideas on nice neighborhoods?

Before you start your research you have to decide what you want and how do you want to live. City-suburb; apartment-house; established neighborhoods-newer developments; type of socializing; close to airport or not a factor etc., etc.????????

Once you have catalogued your needs and wants then your search can become much more focused. I strongly recommend that you do some touring around the region prior to the winter season is in full force.

I have found the best way to approach moving to a new region is to rent a place and learn what you like and dislike about the area on your own. Most people are going to recommend the areas where they live and are familiar with. Don't commit to any section of the region until you have a better feel for the place.

Moving from Chicago to Buffalo IN JANUARY??? :doh::oops:

I grew up in western NY around Lockport/Newfane. There are tons of beautiful places around Buffalo. I really like the feel of the city itself with it's great pubs, deli's and mom & pop establishments. Never lived right in the city but I can tell you that there are a lot of places all over western NY and within a short drive of Buffalo. I like the country more than the city myself for living, but Buffalo definitely has character. Good luck with your search.

Keep in mind you get more "lake effect" snow south of the city. Live in Buffalo or to the north (like Amherst and Tonawanda) and get less snow. Mind you, you'll still get plenty of snow, just less of it on average than folks who live in Hamburg and Orchard Park.

PTR

how old are you? what type of scene/neighborhood are you looking for? do you want to be in the city, or do you prefer the suburbs? plan on going out a lot and getting into things? or more of a home body that will stay around the yard?

there are good locations for either preference, but it depends on where you are in life and what you want.

Edited by DrDareustein

Fisher Court

Amazing. First reply.

Orchard Park, Clarence, Amherst all pricey but nice places to live. Be Sure to check out E.B. Greens in the Hyatt Regency Hotel, rated second best Beef in America but #1 to me. Glad to see you coming here , GO BILLS!!!

How did you end up a Bills fan?

well back in the day when we drafted thurman i loved him...and boomer always called him the thurmal thurman thomas...i was only 8 at the time and ever since then it was on...i used to compete in snowmobile tournaments and always wore thurmal underwear...lol sounds weird but thats the story...ive been die hard ever since...and every city i go to every friday i wear a bills jersey...even in important business meetings....

Before you start your research you have to decide what you want and how do you want to live. City-suburb; apartment-house; established neighborhoods-newer developments; type of socializing; close to airport or not a factor etc., etc.????????

Once you have catalogued your needs and wants then your search can become much more focused. I strongly recommend that you do some touring around the region prior to the winter season is in full force.

I have found the best way to approach moving to a new region is to rent a place and learn what you like and dislike about the area on your own. Most people are going to recommend the areas where they live and are familiar with. Don't commit to any section of the region until you have a better feel for the place.

you took the words right out of my mouth...i will rent before i buy..espically in this economic downturn and housing crisis...(even though the price is lower) if i decide to move 25 miles north i wont be able to sel for months...but yes i will probably rent before buying...thanks bro for the info

how old are you? what type of scene/neighborhood are you looking for? do you want to be in the city, or do you prefer the suburbs? plan on going out a lot and getting into things? or more of a home body that will stay around the yard?

there are good locations for either preference, but it depends on where you are in life and what you want.

im 30, love to go out and about espically when i will be meeting and spending time with the most passionate fans there is...i love chicago but dont get me wrong i know and feel i would love buffalo also...ive been through some horrible winters (understanding you get that on the weekend with the lake effect) but thats part of being who you are and where you live...your guys posts are making this alot easier on me...now my house warming ill invite you all to the bills playoff postgame party...lol...you guys are great

Moving from Chicago to Buffalo IN JANUARY??? :doh::oops:

lol yea not much difference...just get more snow...and sometimes we get more snow...lol

yes, OP, amherst, clarence are nice.

if you have the money to live there i would suggest living in one of the nicer areas WITHIN the city limits. anywhere around delaware park is nice and you get a lot of bang for your buck. same goes for allentown. and i dont mean the fixer-uppers that yippies and hipsters are moving into (although in a few years we will all be grateful for them). park, irving, oakland, and richmond have beautiful homes that are as nice as any of those in the suburbs. there are plenty of streets around the elmwood village that are well very reasonably priced, and you would be living in the most vibrant neighborhood in the area.

i know there are many parts of buffalo that look like beirut. but the more people move back into the city itself and cease the sprawl that has seemingly doomed urban development, the less of these eyesores there will be.

also, beware of rampant racism and redneck chicanery in the suburbs, unless you're into that sort of thing. even within the city limits there is quite a bit of neighborhood segregation. but some of the neighborhoods and areas i've mentioned have a nice mix of ethnicity and culture. buffalo is becoming more and more international, as we welcome african and east asian refugees. these refugees are happy to be here and are working hard to better the neighborhoods where they reside - particularly the lower west side and the northern fringes of downtown.

lastly, although i feel you need to visit to fully appreciate the atmosphere, this is a neat video showcasing some local highlights:

youtube.com/watch?v=JNYue0Os55A

great video here...man that makes me want to go now....

I grew up in western NY around Lockport/Newfane. There are tons of beautiful places around Buffalo. I really like the feel of the city itself with it's great pubs, deli's and mom & pop establishments. Never lived right in the city but I can tell you that there are a lot of places all over western NY and within a short drive of Buffalo. I like the country more than the city myself for living, but Buffalo definitely has character. Good luck with your search.

thank you my friend

Where do you live in Chicago?