Poz signs with Jax, 6 years $7.5M/year reported

God, some of you folks are broken records. I remember the threads when London Fletcher walked and it was the same ol' story - "He is overrated, he makes all of his tackles 6 yards downfield, he never makes a game-changing play." Fletcher is STILL considered one of the best MLBs in the NFL.

Here are the facts people:

1) When Nix was hired he made one of his highest priorities re-signing the draft picks that the Bills had actually hit on (and there admittedly weren't many). He was very disturbed to see numerous ex-Bills playing at a high level elsewhere.

2) Poz was Nix's priority this offseason, and Nix failed to keep him.

3) There are no replacements on the roster.

4) As bad as some of you make out Poz to be, the fact is that a better organization (yes that's right - they're small market, in a tough division, and actually compete on Sundays and openly declared that they're going to be major players in free agency this year, in contrast to our sleepy management team) was willing to pay Poz significant money - and apparently, so were the Bills (and perhaps other teams). These people are all smarter than us, perhaps they know something we don't. Think about it for 5 seconds please.

5) The switch to the 3-4 - which falls squarely on Nix - still is paying negative dividends for this team.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only FA ILB out there that's better is Tulloch, and good luck with that since the Titans are planning on signing him to a long term deal.

Poz was a bit overrated, but he was the best ILB we had, and the 2nd best in FA this year. The defense took a step back today no mater how you rationalize it.

Tulloch is not better than poz just because you saw a list

"He was merely good" says it all. There isnt a whole lot of "GOOD" players on this team. That is why we are notoriously "BAD". When you do have a "GOOD" player you keep him. A team full of "good" players makes a good team. The team has no commitment to winning, yet certain fans make excuses for every boneheaded move that this team makes. Every single move we make is centered around the almighty dollar. Keep saving money on players, and keep raising those ticket prices. Its working great.

For those crying about losing "POZ" may I please remind you of a few things:

1. "POZ" was never popular for the RIGHT REASONS, ie, making game-impacting plays. He was merely good.

2. "POZ" was almost universally considered best suited for a 4-3D, and prefers that alignment himself.

3. "POZ" has a catchy name and heritage that appealed to many fans, but let's remember item 1, shall we?

Wish him well, move on, and start pulling for our new guys. You'll feel better. Sorry about that jersey you bought but hey, it was one of the old clown suits anyway.

I make these assurances because even a mediocore franchise like the Jaguars is in the playoff hunt every year until the end while we are winning 4-7 games, and out of it by midseason. Reason being moves like this. The Jaguars may not be a championship caliber team, but they make strides to get there. The little bit of talent we do have we let go virtually every free agency period. As far as PSU Linebackers go, the last great Penn State linebackers were Jack Ham, Shane Conlan, and currently Cameron Wake. Not to mention they have several starting linebackers around the NFL. They arent called "Linebacker U" for no reason. Does not mean it will translate to the NFL, but Poz certainly seemed to be quite sought after in free agency by everyone, but us. There is a reason for that. Its called a paycheck.

Clearly, a fan has no business making "assurances". Predictions, perhaps, but using a phrase like "assurance" is kind of ridiculous. Why would you make promises you can't possibly keep?

Also, citing old timers like Jack Ham & Shane Conlan and an UDFA signee like Wake is exactly what I was getting at... It's been a long time since PSU was known with any credibility as Linebacker U.

coseybedaman

Posted Today, 11:24 PM

"He was merely good" says it all. There isnt a whole lot of "GOOD" players on this team. That is why we are notoriously "BAD". When you do have a "GOOD" player you keep him. A team full of "good" players makes a good team.

BINGO

I make these assurances because even a mediocore franchise like the Jaguars is in the playoff hunt every year until the end while we are winning 4-7 games, and out of it by midseason. Reason being moves like this. The Jaguars may not be a championship caliber team, but they make strides to get there. The little bit of talent we do have we let go virtually every free agency period.

Not sure how much of a complaint can be made if they matched the offer and he still walked.

God, some of you folks are broken records. I remember the threads when London Fletcher walked and it was the same ol' story - "He is overrated, he makes all of his tackles 6 yards downfield, he never makes a game-changing play." Fletcher is STILL considered one of the best MLBs in the NFL.

1) When Nix was hired he made one of his highest priorities re-signing the draft picks that the Bills had actually hit on (and there admittedly weren't many). He was very disturbed to see numerous ex-Bills playing at a high level elsewhere.

4) As bad as some of you make out Poz to be, the fact is that a better organization (yes that's right - they're small market, in a tough division, and actually compete on Sundays and openly declared that they're going to be major players in free agency this year, in contrast to our sleepy management team) was willing to pay Poz significant money - and apparently, so were the Bills (and perhaps other teams). These people are all smarter than us, perhaps they know something we don't. Think about it for 5 seconds please.

5) The switch to the 3-4 - which falls squarely on Nix - still is paying negative dividends for this team.

Reports are that the Bills matched the offer. So Nix should have offered MORE than the 6yr/$42m Poz got from the Jags? Sounds like Nix didn't fail to keep him, Poz simply failed to stay.

GO BILLS!!!

"He was merely good" says it all. There isnt a whole lot of "GOOD" players on this team. That is why we are notoriously "BAD". When you do have a "GOOD" player you keep him. A team full of "good" players makes a good team. The team has no commitment to winning, yet certain fans make excuses for every boneheaded move that this team makes. Every single move we make is centered around the almighty dollar. Keep saving money on players, and keep raising those ticket prices. Its working great.

Dude right on, people are like he was just good or just average, well can't say that about 7-8 other defenders

Well said!! It seems as though every time a high level player walks out of our building no one thinks he is worth a damn. The real problem is that right now this organization isnt worth a damn. Fletcher, Pat, Peters, Spikes, Winfield, Clements, the list goes on and on of players who we felt were expendable. However, we havent been close to the playoffs since all of those guys left. Reason being is that these are star players, and you dont let star players walk when they become stars, and always hope you are drafting that new star. The new star isnt going to be a star instantly, and by the time he is well we cant afford him anyway LOL. Its a vicious cycle. The Jaguars are just as much a small market team as we are yet every year they bring in guys to try and win. I feel like we bring in guys that we are getting the best deal on.

Reports are that the Bills matched the offer. So Nix should have offered MORE than the 6yr/$42m Poz got from the Jags? Sounds like Nix didn't fail to keep him, Poz simply failed to stay.

GO BILLS!!!

Wrong. He should've been re-upped last year. It shouldn't have come to this - even if there was some uncertainty as to whether he'd be restricted or not, you'd better be locking up your defensive signal caller if you're at all concerned he might leave. And by the way, someone explain to me why we switched to a 3-4 if our best players at the time (Williams, Schobel, Stroud and Poz) were all ill-suited to play in that scheme?

Anyone feel Poz was worth $7M/yr? Apparently Nix matched the deal and he still walked. I can imagine the howls if we paid Poz $42M/6yrs. :lol:

PTR

WOW, that's a lotta bread for a solid but unspectacular guy. He was good, and I'd have preferred if he had stayed, but you're right. Maybe not at that price.

Between him and Whitner, that's now about 250 tackles we have to replace next season. That would s@ck.

Great move Buddy ... what did you say "we draft'um, develop'um and then sign'um." ????

Not a huge fan of Poz and he is not a natural 3-4 ILB but he still is the best LB on the team, now gone.

I sure hope they pick up a decent vet from somewhere. I see a gapping hole at ILB.

I'll take Ruud. He works in our hybrid system and he is insurance for Sheppard. Davis is definitely a starter, but Sheppard can spell them both and gain experience behind two smart ILB's. Neither AD nor Ruud are Pro Bowlers today, but they both know the game and play it with intelligence.

The fact is the Bills should've kept Fletcher and never drafted Pos. ;)

Wrong. He should've been re-upped last year. It shouldn't have come to this - even if there was some uncertainty as to whether he'd be restricted or not, you'd better be locking up your defensive signal caller if you're at all concerned he might leave. And by the way, someone explain to me why we switched to a 3-4 if our best players at the time (Williams, Schobel, Stroud and Poz) were all ill-suited to play in that scheme?

I agree the switch to the 34 was ill timed at best. We just didn't/DON'T have the personnel to play it.

To say he should have been re-upped last year is just not something I can agree with. Especially since we all saw how ill-suited he is to play ILB in a 34.

Still though, he said on a few occasions that he wanted to return and the Bills made it easy for him to do so by matching the offer and yet he still walked. He wanted out. Pure and simple.

GO BILLS!!!