What is our greatest position of need

DUFF

I may be overly optomistic about this team (usually am until the season actually starts), but after reading several posts about free agency i decided to break down the starting roster give my opinion (again opinion)and let TBD'ers add their opinions or replace starters with available FA's out there.

QB: Fitz (need a back-up, but theres no one out there worth replacing Fitz with at this point)

HB: Freddy and Spiller (like the combo- ps also liked another posters idea of using Jasper like the "fridge")

FB: Corey Mc. (I like him as our FB and Sp. Teams- Jasper would be cool here too)

WR: prior to last season this was considered our biggest weakness with TO leaving, now I feel it is one of the strengths of this team- Evans (people complain about him, but he makes the rest of the receivers better just by lacing his shoes), SJ, Parrish,David Nelson, and I'm expecting Easley to make his splash in the NFL this season.

TE: one of the few spots on this roster where i see upgrades in FA (Boss would be my choice) but in terms of current roster i think Chambers has potential, and I still have hope for Shawn Nelson.

OL: Bell (getting better), Levitre (stud), Wood (stud),Urbik (not sure), Pears (not sure)...both could use an upgrade!

LB's: Poz (resign), Merriman (we'll see- even if he doesn't go back to his old form, he is still an upgrade over what we have), Moats (shows potential), Andra Davis (ok), K. Sheppard (unknown/potential), Kelsay (i think he will surprise people this year...he is good at getting after the qb), Maybin (don't get me started).

DL: Dwan Edwards (solid), Kyle Williams (stud), Dareus (unkown/but should be great)

DB's: McGee (old), McKelvin (varies from game to game-could be incredible if more consistent), Drayton Florence (solid)

Safeties: Byrd (if defensive line gets more pressure could return to rookie form), George Wilson (ok)-bye Donte, + the new rookies (aron williams, Danorris Searcy ??)

Sorry it's long....but I am interested in what people think!

So I see the weak spots as TE, OL (RT and RG), and depending how the rookies pan out DB.

I really like this team that is beginning to develop...reminds me of when the US hockey team filled with

a bunch of nobodies went on to beat the USSR powerhouse!

I know we are not just "a few pieces of the puzzle" away, but there is NO reason not to add at least one 26-27 year old "very solid starting caliber" player to a nice 5-6 year contract. It can't all come from the draft. At least one should be added every year regardless. TE, RT, or even a younger CB should be added on top of keeping 2 out of 3 of your own.

LB is always a need position in the 3-4.

It's just the nature of the position that guys are going to get injured. They're smaller/leaner and they're hitting against guys who've built up 5-10 yards of speed/force velocity. What was it... the Giants game the year after Mitchell signed here, three of our LBs were injured in like one drive and they were literally putting scrubs in there, whereupon we lost that game.

Our defense is in the transition of switching out one fat guy for one leaner guy. So that's now 4 LBs that they'll have to develop depth for.

And when two of those starting LBs is pretty much expected to be Poz and Merriman... yeah, we're gonna need LB depth.

LB, LB, ORT, OLT, TE, CB.

LB is in a sad sad state when people are looking to Whatever-his-name-is Batten and Moats to make a major impact. Losing Poz would

be devastating.

RT: There is no NFL-calibre backup RT on the roster, let alone a bona-fide starter.

LT: I think D. Bell has the athletic ability to be an OK starting LT. Does he have the work-ethic and strength?

TE: Ugh!

CB: Sadly, there are not even enough on the roster to fill out a team. They really NEED to re-sign Florence. If they can keep Florence,

McKelvin, McGee, Corner and add Aaron Williams, they might have enough to get by given that Byrd could probably play CB

in a pinch.

RT-TE-CB-OLB-QB-ILB-LT

I'm more optimistic about LB than most. I like Poz with the better DL, the draft (Sheppard White), Coleman, Moats, and the brass are high on Batten. Add Merriman (I like his tweets about his recent workouts and his perception that he's in great shape), and LB's who aren't injured (Davis and Torbor). We haven't seen what Wannstache brings, and we haven't seen what a non-injured Merriman-Davis-Torbot-Batten can do.

Edited by Astrobot

In short, right now we need a RT the most. Second would have to be ILB with no guarantee that Poz will still be a Bill next season.

What annoys me with this management team is one of the problems with our society these days. Worried about someone's feelings. Geez!! This is freakin' football!!

Last offseason they decided on Edwards as the starter and then said they wanted a veteran backup but not somebody to compete for the job so TE didn't have to look over his shoulder. And we know how that turned out. So luckily Fitz was able to take over and had a good year. Now, they're set on him and want a veteran backup QB (Here we go again!) but not somebody to compete for the starting job. Why the hell not?? What if Peyton Manning's discussions don't go well and he decides to look around. Are they saying they wouldn't throw $20 Mil at him with all of the cap room they have? Can you imagine Peyton with this young receiving corps? He'd find a way to get the ball to Parrish & Spiller.

The same thing with Left tackle. Bell is nowhere near where Peters was at and they stand pat with him, using a 4th round pick on someone they project as a RT.

This is a man's game. If a player can't deal with competition for his position (insert Losman here) then he shouldn't be playing NFL football!