If the Bills don't sign any help this year, FA period

San-O

Given the Bills decade long inability to make the playofss, the huge cap space they have available and MUST spend to, the

large number of holes which exist on the roster, and the large number of free agents that will be available, if the Bills don't

make some major moves, I have two questions:

1. Do they really want to win?

2. What will the excuse be?

I don't think they will do much, as they rarely do.

Flame away.

So, how do we get above the salary floor if we don't sign anyone? Lower tier FA's ain't gonna take up $30 million.

Well, look at the bidding war they got into with themselves re: Kelsay. ?

Given the Bills decade long inability to make the playofss, the huge cap space they have available and MUST spend to, the

large number of holes which exist on the roster, and the large number of free agents that will be available, if the Bills don't

make some major moves, I have two questions:

1. Do they really want to win?

2. What will the excuse be?

I don't think they will do much, as they rarely do.

Flame away.

Why are we even discussing this? Who said the Bills will not be active in free agency? Also can you point out a single team that won a Super Bowl going out signing big name free agents? We are doing it the way the Steelers have done it for years.

PTR

Well, look at the bidding war they got into with themselves re: Kelsay. ?

i hope i am totally wrong, but they will do the usual, try to plug obvious holes with players they can justify as to why they signed them. they wont go out and sign a burress, or anyone pricey. we should just be glad we have a team dammit!

i hope i am totally wrong, but they will do the usual, try to plug obvious holes with players they can justify as to why they signed them. they wont go out and sign a burress, or anyone pricey. we should just be glad we have a team dammit!

Teams that do not win do not make money. Not making money may make the team go away. Not what I want to see happen!!!

Edited by samothyev

Why are we even discussing this? Who said the Bills will not be active in free agency? Also can you point out a single team that won a Super Bowl going out signing big name free agents? We are doing it the way the Steelers have done it for years.

PTR

GB won the SB after getting Reggie White and SF after Deion. Granted both those teams were already contenders and I'm not saying we should pull a Dan Snyder, but pulling 1 or 2 key FAs could be the difference between playoffs and mediocrity.

PTR

Please understand, I'm not saying win with a big "W", as in Super Bowl, I'm say just win, like as in 9 - 7, a winning season. Maybe 10 - 6?

Drew Brees, I believe.

Who was coming off a bad shoulder injury at the time. Brees was hardly considered a big-time free agent. In fact if the Bills had signed him everyone would have said we were dumpster diving for a QB. The Saints lucked out.

PTR

Drew Brees, I believe.

Who was coming off a bad shoulder injury at the time. Brees was hardly considered a big-time free agent. In fact if the Bills had signed him everyone would have said we were dumpster diving for a QB. The Saints lucked out.

Yep. Basically the Saints were the only team even looking at Brees, after Miami dropped out because of concerns over his shoulder. They rolled the dice and got lucky because that looked like it could have been a career-ender.

GB won the SB after getting Reggie White and SF after Deion. Granted both those teams were already contenders and I'm not saying we should pull a Dan Snyder, but pulling 1 or 2 key FAs could be the difference between playoffs and mediocrity.

Also Dallas won 2 SBs after signing Charles Haley, and another after signing Deion.

PTR

Respectfully disagree. Brees turned down a 5-year, $50mil offer from the Chargers to sign a 6-year, $60mil contract with the Saints. How is that not a big time free agent? $10mil per year is not the kind of low-tier guy Buddy Nix keeps talking about.

Just because spending heavily in free agency often fails (a la the Snyder Redskins) doesn't mean that it's guaranteed to fail. I'm fine with the Bills' stated strategy of spending mostly on re-signing their own homegrown talent (a la Pittsburgh), but can we stop pretending that this is the only way to be successful? Plenty of big-name, big-money free agent signings have worked out just fine -- including Bryce Paup and Ted Washington for the Bills. There's more than one way to win the Super Bowl.

Just because spending heavily in free agency often fails (a la the Snyder Redskins) doesn't mean that it's guaranteed to fail.

No but it's less likely to succeed than developing your own draft picks. If free agency was such a magic bullet then the team that spends the most would win the Super Bowl every year.

PTR

From the PC this morning:

On the salary cap, Nix says: "We've said from day one we're never going to be big spenders in free agency."

Nix says team's philosophy remains to draft and develop players, then re-sign them

Which, if you have been listening, is what he has been saying all along. No surprises here.

Respectfully disagree. Brees turned down a 5-year, $50mil offer from the Chargers to sign a 6-year, $60mil contract with the Saints. How is that not a big time free agent? $10mil per year is not the kind of low-tier guy Buddy Nix keeps talking about.

They also signed Jeremy Shockey. He was hurt and didn't contribute much to the SB Win, but he was a big time FA signing.

PTR

Chris Brown said it on a Rochester Radio show...thats who said it. He said the Bills wont target the top 60 free agents....not sure if he is right or wrong but he said it.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/131866-per-chris-brown-bills-wont-target-top-60-fas/