Whitner to sign elsewhere

We can't afford to let Poz go. Whitner walks, we have george wilson and bryan scott. Florence leaving would hurt, but alteast we still have mckelvin, williams and mcgee. But if we let Poz go, we'll have an old, mediocre andra davis and an unproven Kelvin Sheppard.

And no depth at all. Poz is a priority.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the animosity towards Poz? We have tons of money to use up, so why are we freaking out about overpaying for him? He's one of our few consistent players and more importantly he plays at a position we're not particularly deep at. We need him back, end of question.

He's been consistently average or hurt. Sorry. Average players are EASILY replaceable.

He's been consistently average or hurt. Sorry. Average players are EASILY replaceable.

But there aren't any in this current free agent class that are better, or cheaper than Poz will be. We're not in jeopardy of going over the cap by any means, I don't see whats wrong with resigning a well liked, hard working player that does have a tremendous up side.

Edited by bills1960

Name the ILBs currently on the Bills roster who are better than Poz.

Please take your time, and some statistics to back up your point would be appreciated.

But there aren't any in this current free agent class that are better, or cheaper than Poz will be. We're not in jeopardy of going over the cap by any means, I don't see whats wrong with resigning and well liked, hard working player that does have a tremendous up side.

Poz will be entering his 5th year as a LB. LB's shoulld produce immediately since theres not much of a learning curve. So what's this "UPSIDE" u speak of? If you havent seen it by now, then you most likely won't see it.

I understand many of you do not like Whitner for various reasons, his persona etc...but those of you who question his tackling 5-10 yards downfield are absolute morons and show you know nothing about football. Whitner is an above average SS having to compensate for poor front 7 play.

Poz will be entering his 5th year as a LB. LB's shoulld produce immediately since theres not much of a learning curve. So what's this "UPSIDE" u speak of? If you havent seen it by now, then you most likely won't see it.

I have seen it by now. He's played well on awful teams. If he was currently leaving a team like the Steelers instead of the Bills I'm sure people like you would be begging the Bills to go after him.

I understand many of you do not like Whitner for various reasons, his persona etc...but those of you who question his tackling 5-10 yards downfield are absolute morons and show you know nothing about football. Whitner is an above average SS having to compensate for poor front 7 play.

Good safeties make plays no matter what. Adrian Wilson put up GREAT numbers with an inferior defense for awhile. It's not even making the tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He can't cover, he can't pressure QBs, he can't do anything great. He's the Poz of our secondary. Our secondary as a whole just sucks in my opinion. Don't even get me started on McKelvin.

Please take your time, and some statistics to back up your point would be appreciated.

Dude that's the problem, all these guys want to B word about poz and have no solution or real reason. You get the he gets injured, he doesnt make tackles behind the line, and his hair is to long reasons. But I guess everybody forgot he was our defensive MVP a couple years ago, one of the most highley decorated college linebackers ever, never moans and groans, just switched to a 3-4 , and had to make up for kelsays constant blown contain.

Jerod mayo career stats- 45 games 3.5 sacks, 0 ints, 282 tckl

Poz career stats- 45 games 3 sacks, 4ints, 294 tckl

Not to mention say James farrior who took 60 games to have comparable stats (minus the ints)

Dre is so right about his pass coverage. Can't count high enough that one simple shake move by a TE has left him in the dust...and when a miracle does take place and he actually in the area in zone, he consistantly takes the wrong angle to the ball....not to mention the hands of stone he has

Good safeties make plays no matter what. Adrian Wilson put up GREAT numbers with an inferior defense for awhile. It's not even making the tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He can't cover, he can't pressure QBs, he can't do anything great. He's the Poz of our secondary. Our secondary as a whole just sucks in my opinion. Don't even get me started on McKelvin.

Please go read the strategy of a Tampa2 and 3-4.

The SS is not designed to cover, he is designed to stop the run. He is not to pressure, either. When is the last time you thought of our defense as aggressive enough to blitz? How could we blitz a SS when we can't even blitz an LB?!

You are right, though, he is just like Poz. He is undervalued, above average, and we will definately hurt if we lose him. But, that's ok - I mean, addition by subtraction ALWAYS works when there is a clearcut SS we have to replace him.

I wish I could find the post I made a long time ago about the 3-4 and Tampa2. I explained the entire system because I just got too tired of people saying how bad he is...If you want to see the biggest problem of our 3-4 defense look at Kyle Williams.

Dre is so right about his pass coverage. Can't count high enough that one simple shake move by a TE has left him in the dust...and when a miracle does take place and he actually in the area in zone, he consistantly takes the wrong angle to the ball....not to mention the hands of stone he has

SS do not cover TE's in the Tampa2.

Oh really? Interesting. I thought they played the pass as well. In which he's completely inept at as well. I guess that's the front 7's fault.

I'm not defending HIM, or saying he does anything well but to make a comment that he makes his tackles 5-10 yards behind the line of scrimmage shows you no little about defense. Read what you typed..... out.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

The fact is that the Bills are going to have to spend a pile to re-sign Pz because the rest of the LB is not good and hasn't been solid for a very long time. That's the pedicament we find ourselves in: re-signing our mediocre draft picks because they are the best at that position on our roster.

Interesting how the Poz-haters have conveniently missed this post..

Anyway, I fear they may get their wish. Even if Poz has a Gentlemen's agreement to bring back to the Bills his highest offer, there's a few teams out there dying for starting ILB's who will likely offer him an amount we simply won't pay. Jax comes to mind -he's on the top of their list.

Let's do a little math here.

Average means roughly half the players that start in that position are better and the other half are roughly worse. Let us even assume that there are a few backups that are better but are behind some of those better starters... How about a very generous 50%. Since there are 32 teams in the league. Half is roughly 16 and an additional 50% is 8 more for roughly 24.

To make it simple lets call it 20-25 people.

So there are somewhere around 20-25 people in the known freaking universe who are better than said "Average" player.

The bottom line is that there are not many players that are better than (essentially) any NFL starter and there is stiff competition to get those that are available. What exists are plenty of _crappy_ players. A crappy player is easily replaceable. A competent NFL starter is not easily replaceable.