Lockout Over

Some specific 'details' from Peter King.

Opt out now back in for both sides?

More money for players under contract who are cut because of injury.

Eligible to retain medical benefits for life.

Players get 55% of network TV money. (beginning 2012 if I read him correctly)

King link

Reading the early, mostly unsubstantiated information, it looks like the players won the Lock-out.

4 years then Free Agent - check

No extra 1B of the top then 42% of the rest as the Owners suggested

No 18 game schedule

No two a days

Medical Plan for life.

The salary spending floor rule

Increased money for Retired "legacy" players

Owners get

Rookie Salary Cap - Although The Player's wanted one but the salary structure looks more like the aggressive owner's schedule and they didn't take the player's "performance pool for rookies." - So I guess you can give that to the owners

And no missed games?

And then the big market owners got the double whammy of increased revenue sharing with small market teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15348620/lockout-judgements-winners-losers-turning-points

Thank God, I was really starting to get nervous that there was going to be no football. That sounds pretty scary, NO FOOTBALL. But it dosen't matter now, the lock-out is over and we can finally put a start to another glorious Buffalo Bills season.

The revenue sharing thing helps the league. Yeah, the Cowboys owe the Bills some $$, but the Cowboys can pay off that stadium quicker with a 32 team league than with a 6 team league if all the small markets fold.

The revenue sharing thing helps the league. Yeah, the Cowboys owe the Bills some $$, but the Cowboys can pay off that stadium quicker with a 32 team league than with a 6 team league if all the small markets fold.

Is this like the luxury tax in MLB? I know that doesn't exactly work as designed because the Yankees still get enough revenue to almost offset what they pay out, but since the NFL has an actual cap, I'm wondering how much this helps the smaller, less-revenue-generating markets.

Is this like the luxury tax in MLB? I know that doesn't exactly work as designed because the Yankees still get enough revenue to almost offset what they pay out, but since the NFL has an actual cap, I'm wondering how much this helps the smaller, less-revenue-generating markets.

No its not like the luxury tax in the NBA or MLB.

There is a "hard" salary cap in the NFL.

The next 5 days are the most unique opportunity to re-make a roster in modern NFL History.

I go for young free agents at the key positions of need:

QB - Thigpen is 27

TE-Donte Rosario is 26 - productive all previous 4 years as a second tight end

OT - Bushrod, Clabo, Ryan Harris

DL-Jenkins would be great but he is 30 and has missed 17 reg. season games the last 3 years. I don't think we do much here...

LB - re-Sign Posluszny

CB- we need about 5 more DB's--re-sign Florence and look at Richard Marshall from Carolina

The next 5 days are the most unique opportunity to re-make a roster in modern NFL History.

I go for young free agents at the key positions of need:

QB - Thigpen is 27

TE-Donte Rosario is 26 - productive all previous 4 years as a second tight end

OT - Bushrod, Clabo, Ryan Harris

DL-Jenkins would be great but he is 30 and has missed 17 reg. season games the last 3 years. I don't think we do much here...

LB - re-Sign Posluszny

CB- we need about 5 more DB's--re-sign Florence and look at Richard Marshall from Carolina

If you mean Kris Jenkins, he retired.

Some specific 'details' from Peter King.

Opt out now back in for both sides?

More money for players under contract who are cut because of injury.

Eligible to retain medical benefits for life.

Players get 55% of network TV money. (beginning 2012 if I read him correctly)

King link

It sounds like they did not end up giving the opt out option to either side: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43881732/ns/sports-player_news/

If this is true then it's smooth sailing for the next 10 years.

Kudos to D. Smith for getting the players pretty much everything they wanted. It's a victory not only for the players, but for the sport. He took a ton of grief from people in the media and here, but his job isn't to win a popularity contest. It is to protect his guys and he did just that.

Kudos to the Owners as well for realizing they were pushing things too far in the name of greed and selfishness. They could have easily stopped negotiating until after the season started (thus weakening the players' position once they started to miss game checks) but instead of doing that, they righted the ship and got things back on track. They deserve credit for staving off a disaster for their sport.

Bottom line though, it's just nice to have this thing behind us so we can get back to talking about what matters: the game.