My computer has been attacked by XPAntivus2012

bbb

I'm typing from my laptop. This thing has my main computer totally effed and useless.

I've tried some suggestions from google, but even coming up in safe mode didn't prevent it from coming up on startup and seizing everything, including my avast.

Anybody have any experience with this and can lend it me? Thanks.

I'm typing from my laptop. This thing has my main computer totally effed and useless.

I've tried some suggestions from google, but even coming up in safe mode didn't prevent it from coming up on startup and seizing everything, including my avast.

Anybody have any experience with this and can lend it me? Thanks.

Found a few things, some you probably saw:

http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-xp-antivirus-2012

http://www.spywarevoid.com/remove-xp-antivirus-2012-xpantivirus-2012-removal-tutorial.html

http://www.malwareguides.com/xp-antivirus-2012-virus-removal-guide.html

And I'm guessing there's no way you can do a system restore, right?

Good luck.

Is that where you go back to how your computer was yesterday or so?

I know my computer guy has done that for me before. Don't know when he'll get back to me, though......But, I can afford to go back a week. I have a network of three computers and my old one that is super slow for net stuff is where I have all my important data. My fast newer computer is the one that is jacked, but I only use it for my online work (and goofing off).

Is it fairly simple to do that?

IIRC, you need to find the "hidden program". There should be a new 3-letter program that has been recently installed and regularly accesses the internet. Hopefully, your firewall identified it when it 1st accessed the internet &/or kept a log of what processes accessed the net. If not, I think you're gonna have to search your harddrive for all 3-letter EXEs & google them to see whether or not they're legit.

Once this program is gone, you should be able to remove the rest of the virus w/ a cleaning program (in Safe Mode).

Good luck.

I was hit w/ this a month or 2 ago & it was terribly insideous.

Download Malwarebytes on another computer and copy to a thumbdrive or CD/DVD. Boot safe mode, install Malwarebytes, and run the update.

It might be a couple days before the Malwarebytes virus definitions catch it. I caught some bogus Antivirus a couple months ago and I had to wait a couple days before Malwarebytes, Adaware, and Spybot even detected it

*Edit: When I caught the bogus antivirus I noticed that it was user specific. I'd recommend that you create multiple user accounts. One with administrative rights that you only use to install software/hardware. The rest with basic user rights. If you catch it again all you have to do is go to C:\Documents and Settings (XP) / C:\Users (Vista / Win7) and rename your profile to .old or .bak. Next time you log in a new user profile will be created (without the bogus Antivirus). Copy over your My Documents, Favorites, and Desktop folders and you'll be back up and running

Edited by /dev/null

had one a few years back and took an entire weekend to hack away at it.

fortunately, my computer had two different accounts on it already, and i was able to start chipping away at the virus through the unaffected account, which eventually became infected. but access to the other account at least provided me a way in.

at the time, Spybot proved to be the most effective. but things change over time, and what worked then might not work now.

this virus was so malicious, it prevented me from using system restore. patience is a key here. try everything, and if that doesn't work, try it again.

good luck.

jw

I am hoping this thread has enough to offer a few ideas on what the heck happened to me...

I was on the phone with my brother and just browsing the internet (craigslist farm ads). I noticed I hadn't installed an update to Windows so while I was talking I updated it. My system became unstable. Nothing really out of the ordinary, I had a lot open and then didn't pay attention. I figure it was the windows update that just put too much on the system.

So I restarted and found it went to nothing but a black screen entering Win7. I restarted to safe mode and scanned for virus' (none) and did a system restore (which had no effected files). I uninstalled about every program that initiates when I boot up (rainmeter, seagate instant backup were pretty much the only two). I still get no where. Any ideas what happened? I know it's not a virus, I am very mindful to stay away from them....if it is a virus Malware Bytes, Avast, nor the Windows Defender found it. Help? Advice?

You seem to know way more than me about this stuff, but what I had to do was punt. I called the Geek Squad for the first time, and for me, it was well worth the money - it was 70 bucks and the guy worked on it for 2-3 hours and now my computer is better than ever.

I had to sign up for their 20 a month plan, but I can quit that at any time. The other option was a one time deal at 150. But, they did such a good job that I might like to keep it going for 20 bucks a month anyway.

You seem to know way more than me about this stuff, but what I had to do was punt. I called the Geek Squad for the first time, and for me, it was well worth the money - it was 70 bucks and the guy worked on it for 2-3 hours and now my computer is better than ever.

I had to sign up for their 20 a month plan, but I can quit that at any time. The other option was a one time deal at 150. But, they did such a good job that I might like to keep it going for 20 bucks a month anyway.

20 bucks a month? Holy crap, that's highway robbery.

Farm ads? Yeah whatever :rolleyes:

Is that what they call it after the last round of police stings :lol:

Wanted - A woman to "ride my tractor" while I "plow your field". I have "seeds to be sown" and hope you have "fertile ground". The less "acreage" the better.