Netflix Raises Prices

The Avenger

So I got the e-mail from Netflix today telling me that my subscription which now encompasses unlimited DVDs (1 at a time) and unlimited streaming will no longer be what I get once my gift subscription runs out. Instead, I can choose the DVDs for $7.99/month OR the streaming for $7.99/month but if I want both I have to pay the full boat - $15.98/month. Hey, I understand prices go up and Netflix is going to have to pay more to the studios for content but they don't even give you any sort of price break for getting both services. Besides that, their prices haven't gone up yet - they still have deals that generally run through 2012 and are reporting some healthy quarterly profits. That, paired with a down economy where people simply aren't going to go for nearly a doubling in price to keep what they have today makes me wonder how many customers they'll lose. Redbox at $1 a night looks like the way to go - heck, if they doubled their prices to $2 a night it would still be a pretty good deal. I hate feeling like I'm geting gouged by a company that has attained near-monopoly status.

I also saw this....I am keeping the 1 BD out, and am dumping the streaming, the quality is just too inferior right now to Blu.

I'm probably going to do the opposite - keep streaming, ditch the disk. I find that I'll just buy movies I want to watch, but I like streaming stuff from time to time (that's how I found the hilarious show Archer, for example).

Current customers don't have to worry about it until September.

I also saw this....I am keeping the 1 BD out, and am dumping the streaming, the quality is just too inferior right now to Blu.

I have the streaming and even upgraded my DSL speed to the top of the line option (additional $5.00 per month from ATT) but I still get pauses and the picture quality is poor. I think I'm paying 7.99 per month for 1 DVD at a time (2 max per month) and unlimited streaming. I have read Netflix wants to eventually phase out the DVD/Blue Rray disc options and only stream in the future. I've been streaming since December 2010 and have noticed a much much bigger choice of movie choices over the past few months. They all say "Starz" when they begin and I wonder if that's some third party the streaming is contracted out to by Netflix. Agree though, the picture quality is poor compared to the discs.

I have the streaming and even upgraded my DSL speed to the top of the line option (additional $5.00 per month from ATT) but I still get pauses and the picture quality is poor. I think I'm paying 7.99 per month for 1 DVD at a time (2 max per month) and unlimited streaming. I have read Netflix wants to eventually phase out the DVD/Blue Rray disc options and only stream in the future. I've been streaming since December 2010 and have noticed a much much bigger choice of movie choices over the past few months. They all say "Starz" when they begin and I wonder if that's some third party the streaming is contracted out to by Netflix. Agree though, the picture quality is poor compared to the discs.

I dumped my DSL in favor of cable Internet and the difference was huge. Just couldn't get enough bandwidth with DSL to ever get 3-4 bars and HD quality.

Not ready to ditch the discs.

Not enough in streaming catalog, yet.

Sound/video quality of streaming catalog not optimal, yet.

To the OP: Netflix is not a monopoly. They, like every other content retailer, they are at odds right now with content owners and content providers.

My buddy just left a senior level position at RedBox. The contracts and phooey they had to go through with motion picture studio companies are practically on a case by case, film by film, series by series, episode by episode basis, and there's not going to be a lone, easily accessible hub for quite sometime. **** is sticky. AOL Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon and all the other super companies in charge of content delivery only make things more complicated.

Edited by The Big Cat

Dropped the disc part today and just doing streaming. I guess the next concern is Comcast calling if we go over our data limit. Can rent a lot of movies from Zune on Xbox360.

Edited by Dante

Got the email too. Not that upset.

My entire plan is going up $5, actually $4.97, for the first time in 2 years. And I use the HECK out of this service.

I might drop the disc plan, or drop down to one, as I rarely watch the discs. But the Streaming service is hands-down the best "monthly service" I have ever subscribed to. The price is good (still), and I watch it more than regular television. If it wasnt for sports and local stations (and that basic cable is included in my HOA fees), Id drop cable completely. And for as much as I use it, and the Internet in general, Ive still never had a problem with Comcast.

All in all, I've been waiting for a big change for a while. Their business is booming, and still growing, so it was only a matter of time. But this is not as bad as I expected. Streaming is still Unlimited, and until that changes, I have no complaints.

Im still very happy with Netflix and would recommend it to everyone. Great service.

-----------------------------------------

Edit: I dont get the quality complaints on the Streaming. I just watched Red Cliff last night, for example, and it looked great. Some older movies or shows will be lower quality, but that is based on how they were originally shot/produced. I dunno, maybe Im just lucky, but my Streaming is basically HD...

Edited by DrDareustein

Got the email too. Not that upset.

My entire plan is going up $5, actually $4.97, for the first time in 2 years. And I use the HECK out of this service.

I might drop the disc plan, or drop down to one, as I rarely watch the discs. But the Streaming service is hands-down the best "monthly service" I have ever subscribed to. The price is good (still), and I watch it more than regular television. If it wasnt for sports and local stations (and that basic cable is included in my HOA fees), Id drop cable completely. And for as much as I use it, and the Internet in general, Ive still never had a problem with Comcast.

All in all, I've been waiting for a big change for a while. Their business is booming, and still growing, so it was only a matter of time. But this is not as bad as I expected. Streaming is still Unlimited, and until that changes, I have no complaints.

Im still very happy with Netflix and would recommend it to everyone. Great service.

I just got set up on a no-cable option. Internet only, Hulu Plus and Netflix apps on iPad on new Samsung Smart TV, plus an HD Tuner for local channels, and I'm golden.

One HUGE downside: no sports (except for what's on the networks).

Starz is a network. It's easier and cheaper for Netflix to go to a network like Starz or Showtime and come to agreements to be able to show that network's catalog, than it is to go to each Movie and TV production company and try to negotiate for each individual movie/show.

The Streaming quality issues sound like an ISP issue. AT&T in general, and DSL in general, no bueno.

Edited by DrDareustein

I hate feeling like I'm geting gouged by a company that has attained near-monopoly status.

Likewise. I am furious but feel like I have no options. Lately the additions to the streaming library have been pretty bad. Most new adds are B and C grade stuff that I never heard of before. So, given the balance it is tough to decide which one to keep. Can't see myself paying $16 every month for both. This segment is just begging for competition - especially the streaming part. Netflix has been making some very questionable moves over the past year which stinks of abusing their near-monopoly status. Raised prices for all plans last year, got rid of the communite feature and now this big price increase again :angry:

Likewise. I am furious but feel like I have no options. Lately the additions to the streaming library have been pretty bad. Most new adds are B and C grade stuff that I never heard of before. So, given the balance it is tough to decide which one to keep. Can't see myself paying $16 every month for both. This segment is just begging for competition - especially the streaming part. Netflix has been making some very questionable moves over the past year which stinks of abusing their near-monopoly status. Raised prices for all plans last year, got rid of the communite feature and now this big price increase again :angry:

Still well under $20... just sayin.

Guess it depends on how much you use it, but Im able to derive amazing value from this service. But that is watching on average a couple of TV shows, and 1 movie, each night.

Ill admit that the majority of stuff on streaming is B and C grade. But the TV show catalog is pretty good, and there are more than enough top quality movies and documentaries to keep me happy. The documentary catalog is pretty vast, and thats not even counting all of the music/band movies, and stand up comedy.

Still well under $20... just sayin.

Guess it depends on how much you use it, but Im able to derive amazing value from this service. But that is watching on average a couple of TV shows, and 1 movie, each night.

Ill admit that the majority of stuff on streaming is B and C grade. But the TV show catalog is pretty good, and there are more than enough top quality movies and documentaries to keep me happy. The documentary catalog is pretty vast, and thats not even counting all of the music/band movies, and stand up comedy.

I wish they never changed their search functions. That's my only complaint.

I wish they never changed their search functions. That's my only complaint.

Yeah, I hate the new software layout. Dont like how each section is displayed on one line only.

But Im sure that in a year when they change it again, Ill be mad that they got rid of this format as well...