Contemporary Martial Arts Flicks

ajzepp

I used to love watching the old martial arts flicks that had the really bad dubbed tracks that everyone makes fun of. Until the other night, I think the last film of that genre I have seen was Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, and that was a long damn time ago.

The other night I watched a film called IP Man. I didn't know it was loosely based on the life of a real person, but the fighting scenes in this film were unbelievably intense. I'm still recovering from one of the fight sequences where IP man fought ten Japanese martial artists at once...easily my favorite part of the movie.

Anyway, just curious if you guys could mention some other really good martial arts films of the last decade or so. I'd like to add some newer films to my queue, so I'm hoping you guys have some entertaining ones in mind.

I used to love watching the old martial arts flicks that had the really bad dubbed tracks that everyone makes fun of. Until the other night, I think the last film of that genre I have seen was Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, and that was a long damn time ago.

The other night I watched a film called IP Man. I didn't know it was loosely based on the life of a real person, but the fighting scenes in this film were unbelievably intense. I'm still recovering from one of the fight sequences where IP man fought ten Japanese martial artists at once...easily my favorite part of the movie.

Anyway, just curious if you guys could mention some other really good martial arts films of the last decade or so. I'd like to add some newer films to my queue, so I'm hoping you guys have some entertaining ones in mind.

Ip Man is great! Be sure to check out the original (fists of fury).

Im assuming you want to stay more with the "One Man" type movies, but Hero, and House of Flying Daggers are pretty good although they are more in the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon theme.

Funny enough, I was just getting ready to go to bed when this thread popped up last night. Read your OP, and since everyone else has been recommending it, stayed up until 2am watching Ip Man! :thumbsup:

Really good!

Dude. Rediscover women. ;)

Okay. As soon as my balls recover from that kick, I'll get right on that :bag:

Ip Man is great! Be sure to check out the original (fists of fury).

I'm glad you mentioned that, cause I don't think I ever saw Fists of Fury....Balls of Fury, yes. :w00t:

Im assuming you want to stay more with the "One Man" type movies, but Hero, and House of Flying Daggers are pretty good although they are more in the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon theme.

Funny enough, I was just getting ready to go to bed when this thread popped up last night. Read your OP, and since everyone else has been recommending it, stayed up until 2am watching Ip Man! :thumbsup:

Really good!

Dude, was that 10 vs IP man scene not completely badass?

I definitely need to rent House of Flying Daggers and the others you mentioned...I came close to seeing Crouching Tiger once or twice, but ended up watching something else. I heard it's an amazing flick, though :thumbsup:

Dude, was that 10 vs IP man scene not completely badass?

I definitely need to rent House of Flying Daggers and the others you mentioned...I came close to seeing Crouching Tiger once or twice, but ended up watching something else. I heard it's an amazing flick, though :thumbsup:

YES! I was already expecting it from your post, but at one point still jumped up off the couch. Intense!

If you havent seen Crouching Tiger, start there. It's a little long sometimes, but it sets the standard for the rest of these films (which I think actually get better).

I know I mentioned Hero and House of Flying Daggers, but if you want great Kung Fu AND epic battle scenes, check out Red Cliff, available on streaming. Think I'll watch it again now! :thumbsup:

You must see this one on your big screen with projector. The scenery is amazing in this film. :thumbsup: I wish I would have seen it in the theater.

YES! I was already expecting it from your post, but at one point still jumped up off the couch. Intense!

If you havent seen Crouching Tiger, start there. It's a little long sometimes, but it sets the standard for the rest of these films (which I think actually get better).

I know I mentioned Hero and House of Flying Daggers, but if you want great Kung Fu AND epic battle scenes, check out Red Cliff, available on streaming. Think I'll watch it again now! :thumbsup:

Just added Red Cliff...I see that John Woo directed it...hell yes! I can't wait to see that!

Netflix has the other three in bluray, so I'm going to rent them so I can do what Lana suggested and watch them on my projector. Hopefully the audio is just as good as the visuals!

You will not be disappointed.

I have a feeling you're right...can't wait!

I thought redbelt was pretty good

I forgot about that one...I saw that a while back and really enjoyed it

Kinda glad I re-watched Red Cliff. Not nearly the kung fu movie I remembered it as, but it's still a cool military strategy movie with awesome battle scenes. Just wanted to clarify before you watched!

The description on Netflix sure sounds interesting to me, so I'll definitely still check it out. Maybe it wasn't as good to you because you watched it on the heels of seeing Ip Man and it sort of paled in comparison?

Drunken Master II is the best. (It was redubbed for the US and marketed as Legend of the Drunken Master, but it's worth watching the original if you can find it.)

Well I definitely like the title lol. I'll have to check on Netflix for it when I get done with work...thx!

I forgot about that one...I saw that a while back and really enjoyed it

The description on Netflix sure sounds interesting to me, so I'll definitely still check it out. Maybe it wasn't as good to you because you watched it on the heels of seeing Ip Man and it sort of paled in comparison?

Well I definitely like the title lol. I'll have to check on Netflix for it when I get done with work...thx!

Having watched Ip Man the night before DEFINITELY has something to do with it. And I realized that while watching it. But it just isnt the same type of movie. Its more along the lines of a Chinese Braveheart/300. Much more about large military battle strategy than individual Kung Fu. Just didnt want to lead you astray there. Still very cool though! But it IS long. The International Version is actually split up onto TWO Blurays. The Theatrical version on streaming is about 2.5 hours.

Oh, and the Drunken Masters are also very good and more up the alley of your OP.

Edited by DrDareustein