The American Nightmare

What're you trying to say Grand Pa? That hicks are exclusive to The South? I'll also have you know that Texas was heavily populated with German settlers.

Did they get there through Anatolia, like the Jews? :w00t:

I did answer your question. It doesn't belong to any of them, it's slang in the English language dumbass.

You've got many problems fella and it doesn't stop at reading comprehension.

You don't actually know what a language family is, do you?

And yet, you're arguing about it. :lol: Classic.

(BTW..."ain't" would be Germanic.)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What're you trying to say Grand Pa? That hicks are exclusive to The South? I'll also have you know that Texas was heavily populated with German settlers. That's why they use mustard at Whataburger.

And yeah, I know language evolves. In 20 years "where you at" will no doubt be grammatically correct, but I'm not going to recognize its legitimacy either.

20 years is vastly different than 270 years fella.

It doesn't belong to the German branch you !@#$ing moron, it's an AMERICAN SLANG term used as far back as the 1700's!!! It was a clear sign of being uneducated to say that word (Still is in most circles), it is no way affiliated or influence with or by the German language.

It doesn't belong to the German branch you !@#$ing moron, it's an AMERICAN SLANG term used as far back as the 1700's!!! It was a clear sign of being uneducated to say that word (Still is in most circles), it is no way affiliated or influence with or by the German language.

And American English is a form of English, which happens to be a Germanic language.

Was that REALLY so hard?

And American English is a form of English, which happens to be a Germanic language.

Was that REALLY so hard?

So it's Latin? So it's Greek? So it's a series of clicks and grunts?

You're wrong fella.

So it's Latin? So it's Greek? So it's a series of clicks and grunts?

You're wrong fella.

Wow. You know, I had this all planned out, where I'd let you dangle for a full page of you saying "No, you're wrong! Shut up!", then I'd explain that to you, then watch you try to dance your way out of looking like an idiot for at least another page, because by then you'd be so fully invested in believing it's not Germanic that you couldn't possibly admit you were wrong. But no, instead I find out that those two pages I planned took exactly one post; even when you're spoon-fed information, you're still too much of a schmuck to accept it.

But one has to wonder: where did you learn linguistics? The backs of cereal boxes?

I keep expecting him to tell me to get off his lawn. Fella.

You haven't proven that you're right? So far you've just proved you're trying to prove the "Isn't" belongs to the Latin language. It doesn't, it is NOT Germanic, it's English you ignorant child.

It's obvious this isn't about facts for you guys, this is about messing with someone and wasting their time because your time is designed just for that, WASTE.

So bravo you have managed to coax me into replying over sixty in DEFENSE, so my total post count in reality is 2?

In closing get off my damn lawn and tell your Grandma I'll be over for dinner.

You haven't proven that you're right? So far you've just proved you're trying to prove the "Isn't" belongs to the Latin language. It doesn't, it is NOT Germanic, it's English you ignorant child.

It's obvious this isn't about facts for you guys, this is about messing with someone and wasting their time because your time is designed just for that, WASTE.

So bravo you have managed to coax me into replying over sixty in DEFENSE, so my total post count in reality is 2?

In closing get off my damn lawn and tell your Grandma I'll be over for dinner.

English IS a Germanic language, you idiot. Just like Yiddish. And "ain't", being English (specifically, an English colloquialism) would therefore be Germanic. Doubly so, since as a colloquialism derived from "is", it derives through the German "ist" (as can be seen in Old English, which borrows the "bin/bist/ist/sind/seid/sind" almost directly from Old German).

No, I'm not reading Wiki or Google; I'm going of my very considerable history education and knowledge of linguistics. The Vikings colonized the greater Dnepr/Dnestr region around the 9th century, founding the Kievan Rus principalities, which were subsequently destroyed by the Mongol invasion, leading to the Turkic domination of the Ukraine and Belorussia until the 15th century, when they were overthrown by the Slavic Muscovites, who would be the actual precursors to modern Russia. The Jews, on the other hand, migrated eastwards to Eastern Europe in the 14th century, NOT the other way around...which is the biggest reason why Yiddish is considered Germanic (having developed in the Rhine valley as a hybrid of Old German and Hebrew - North Germanic and Semitic languages, respectively, with nary a bit of Slavic between them).

And the only time Europe was "Germanic" was the Frankish kindgoms of the 700's...and even then, your very next statement belies that, since if by that judgement Europe was "Germanic", then Russia wasn't Slavic when the Vikings founded it, but Nordic.

And you're still confusing geography and culture with linguistics. The Franks ruling France in the 700's doesn't make French a Germanic language - quite the contrary, it's a Romantic language. That's very easily verified, if you could be bothered to have a clue.

Stop confusing race, culture, geography, and linguistics. Really, for someone who claims to be "educated", you haven't got even the smallest inkling of a clue of what you're talking about.

Uh, oh, you know too much. Time to call in Mugsy......

Tom you just don't get it do you?

Every nugget of info you type if copied and pasted on a search engine goes back to WIKI!

You're a liar! You have no formal education! You don't understand the most common of points!

Here is how you sound, "Duh, English comes from German so I'm speaking German right now! You're a schmuck and I'm smart".

Tom you're an idiot. You're typing in, reading and attempting to communicate in ENGLISH. English comes from many languages before it, but that doesn't mean it is THAT language!

My Wife a teacher of 43 years! Went through our "debate" and she thinks you're, "Just trying to get a rise out of someone, or may suffer from serious identity issues". It's a FACT that you're wrong and it's a FACT that you're obviously disturbed. Go smoke some more pot in Mama's basement and let the adults take about adult topics, you're a man child who is best left to arguing on message boards to get attention.

Run along scamp(FOR THE LAST !@#$ING TIME)

Every nugget of info you type if copied and pasted on a search engine goes back to WIKI!

You're a liar! You have no formal education! You don't understand the most common of points!

Here is how you sound, "Duh, English comes from German so I'm speaking German right now! You're a schmuck and I'm smart".

Tom you're an idiot. You're typing in, reading and attempting to communicate in ENGLISH. English comes from many languages before it, but that doesn't mean it is THAT language!

My Wife a teacher of 43 years! Went through our "debate" and she thinks you're, "Just trying to get a rise out of someone, or may suffer from serious identity issues". It's a FACT that you're wrong and it's a FACT that you're obviously disturbed. Go smoke some more pot in Mama's basement and let the adults take about adult topics, you're a man child who is best left to arguing on message boards to get attention.

:beer: I wish there was a popcorn emoticon

No, actually, I haven't cut and pasted a damn thing. I just happen to know all this, because I've studied it casually for...oh, thirty years or so. Sad thing is, linguistics isn't even my focus (military history is), but I can still own your sorry ass at it, because whereas I've picked up enough along the way to discuss it intelligently, you couldn't even define it.

Case in point. You didn't even bother to so much as google "language family" or "linguistic group"? You're one of the very few people in the world who's knowledge could actually be improved by reading Wikipedia.

Fact is, English is a Germanic language, as a linguistic derivation from Old German (as brought to the British Isles by the Anglo-Saxons). That is a hard, easily verifiable, linguistic fact. That you disagree with it and won't verify it simply shows that you don't know **** about linguistics...and yet, you're arguing about it. That would make you...kind-of a schmuck now, wouldn't it?

A teacher of what? Home ec? Certainly not anything language-related, that's for sure.

Yeah, I remember the last time you said it was the last !@#$ing time...and the time before that, and the time before that, and the time before that... :lol:

Says a man with ~70 posts in <24 hrs?

More than half of which can be summed up as "Doesn't know the difference between 'German' and 'Germanic'."

Tom doesn't know how to read. Read back folks, he had a different position a few pages ago, I was the first who brought up German being related to English. He ran with it and jokes as if he is teaching me something.

Hello Bills Fans,

"DC Tom" is nothing more than a pest who just likes to entertain himself by pissing off others.

"DC Tom" has no doubt blogged for quite some time now and has yet to understand he isn't like nor respected.

"DC Tom" has no knowledge of his own, no knowledge he doesn't open another window to discover and run back as if it were a degree of Yale itself.

"DC Tom" has 29,000 posts during his 10 years on this forum and I'm sure he's been proven an idiot several times, but how many of us in the begining could resist trying to reason with him?

"DC Tom" Watches too much History Channel and A&E, so much so that he thinks he's John Wayne...

"DC Tom" has mental issues none of us can solve with a keystroke, he needs medication or an ass kicking during his rearing years. But that's likely to happen.

In closing, Tom anytime you wish to talk Military History with someone, I suggest rounding up your stuffed animals and have your very own Mclaughlin Group. I apologize that I cannot entertain you any further, I have grown bored of our conversations and just don't see the point in continuing to prove you wrong. Because the act of repeating something over and over again and expecting a different result is just lunacy. So take care of yourself and all of your fluffy friends, put on some soothing sounds, my Grandson has a white noise device I could recommend to your Mother.

Run along scamp.