Fitz vs Baltimore video breakdown…

The first of ten such installments by Chris Brown. I haven't watched it yet but I think it's a great idea by CB and am looking forward to these video sessions with the Bills coaches.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Ryan-Fitzpatrick-vs-Baltimore/bee86eb5-e305-4ec1-856e-fa97cffc11d5

Just got done watching it.

Really great stuff, especially for the hard core football fan.

This was the game where Shawn Nelson failed to protect the football and the Bills fell to 0-7.

Fitz was 29-42 for 382 yards and 4 TDs.

Stevie was 8-158 with 1 TD and Evans was 6-105 and 3 TDs.

Cortez breaks down the video very nicely and mentions some cool stuff.

Apparently (I don't know how common the practice is) the Bills often come to the line of scrimmage with two play calls. It might be run-pass, run-run, or pass-pass. I think it probably helps to have a very intelligent QB with experience like Fitz.

Cortez also mentions how the bye week before this game was a huge factor in the offensive success the Bills had against an elite defense.

Also, Fitz was very accurate in this game.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

This is a perfect example of what we should be doing to get Lee Evans more involved. Surgical is how I would describe the plays they have highlighted. Of course these are the good plays not the warts but it shows what they can do.

As much as Flacco outplayed him, I'd still take a 4TD, 2INT, 300+yrd passing day any week.

This is what a losing culture does to a franchise and a fan base...

You can have the 4TD, 2INT, and 300+ Yards LOSING effort...where his 2 INT's gave away our double digit lead half time lead for good

I prefer the no turnovers, 3 TD, and 250 yard WINNING performance of Flacco

Edited by Alphadawg7

You can have the 4TD, 2INT, and 300+ Yards LOSING effort...where his 2 INT's gave away our double digit lead half time lead for good

I would just prefer to play against the Bills' 2010 defense every week.

I would just prefer to play against the Bills' 2010 defense every week.

This. The crusade to label Fitz a "can't win" guy, before he has even had the chance to enter a season for the first time as the unquestioned starter, continues to amaze me. Can't we simply wait and see what happens?

OR if our defense was a little better we actually win the game? Just sayin

My son who is a real student of the game loves Fitz.....

Fitz is the kind of guy that players can lean on when things get rough....because they know he is gonna be lead....

And yes...he does throw a pick here and there......but he forgets about it almost immedietely. Fitz is a gutsy, mobile, smart, football player.

He just needs guys to play with him and not get hurt, drop balls, fumble, etc.

Brady, who threw 4 ints all year, also threw 2 ints against the Ravens defense. And that was without Ed Reed.

I get a kick out of the posters that condemn Fitz for the 2 INT's, and yet give the player that was stripped of the ball to lose the game a pass

For F's sake, you guys are comparing a perennial playoff Ravens team filled with top players to a horridly bad Buffalo team. I'd really like to see Joe Flacco try and perform as well as Fitz did behind that Buffalo line

Consider the defense the Bills played against that day, IN Baltimore! That game sure opened up my eyes on just how good Fitz can be.

Edited by Harvey lives

I get a kick out of the posters that condemn Fitz for the 2 INT's, and yet give the player that was stripped of the ball to lose the game a pass

For F's sake, you guys are comparing a perennial playoff Ravens team filled with top players to a horridly bad Buffalo team. I'd really like to see Joe Flacco try and perform as well as Fitz did behind that Buffalo line

Consider the defense the Bills played against that day, IN Baltimore! That game sure opened up my eyes on just how good Fitz can be.

Too bad the only other time he ever did it again was against Cincy where he was absolutely atrocious until Cincy literally lost 50% of their starting secondary and essentially handed us the game on a silver platter after that.

So what about all the other games where he was below average or just bad? What did that do to your eyes? I love how an entire career is now built around what he did in one game, against a team who's weakest part of the D was their pass defense, a game he lost in large part because he single handedly gave away our double digit half time lead with two awful INT's, and a game that isn't even remote representative of his week in and week out production.

It's one game...hmmm, lets see, how did he build on that one marvelous (losing) game? Well over the next 9 games following that game he had a passer rating of 70, 16 turnovers and just 12 TD's (and FOUR of those TD's came in the ONE Cincy game where he was bailed out by Cincy injuries). Not exactly lighting the league on fire after such an amazing demonstration of his talents against a Balt D who's weak spot was pass defense.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Too bad the only other time he ever did it again was against Cincy where he was absolutely atrocious until Cincy literally lost 50% of their starting secondary and essentially handed us the game on a silver platter after that.

So what about all the other games where he was below average or just bad? What did that do to your eyes? I love how an entire career is now built around what he did in one game, against a team who's weakest part of the D was their pass defense, a game he lost in large part because he single handedly gave away our double digit half time lead with two awful INT's, and a game that isn't even remote representative of his week in and week out production.

It's one game...hmmm, lets see, how did he build on that one marvelous (losing) game? Well over the next 9 games following that game he had a passer rating of 70, 16 turnovers and just 12 TD's (and FOUR of those TD's came in the ONE Cincy game where he was bailed out by Cincy injuries). Not exactly lighting the league on fire after such an amazing demonstration of his talents against a Balt D who's weak spot was pass defense.

While I personally side with Harvey on this one (sorry Dawg), you guys are arguing like it's a black and white thing… which it's not. If it were clear, there wouldn't be this much debate over it.

There are about 4 people on this board who still believe that Brian Brohm hasn't been given a fair shake and that he still has a chance to be a starting quality quarterback. But it's not a topic of debate because there are so few people who believe this that it's an issue that's not even contested.

The fact that we've steadily churned out hundreds of thousands of words on how good Fitz is or how bad he is clearly demonstrates that there's pretty much an even split of opinion on the matter… and both sides feel passionately about it which I only half understand.

Anyways, I'm psyched that Chris Brown is doing this 10-part series and looking forward to more video breakdowns with the coaches. The video quality is excellent too.

When I worked at Channel 4, I was down at the stadium with Brian Blessing and we ran into Mark Kelso who actually invited us into the defensive meeting room to watch film. It was an amazing experience… even viewing wide shots (which video cut-ups are) and the grainy video of those days, Kelso could pick up nuances like posture, foot position and all sorts of tendencies and tells. And he could pick them up so quickly.

I think with the advent of statistical analysis ventures such as Football Outsiders, Cold, Hard Football Facts, and Pro Football Focus and the increase in the draftnik industry that there is a growing segment of very serious NFL fans who eat this stuff up… for whom traditional NFL coverage is simply not enough. Over the last few years on this board, I've really come to enjoy watching college prospects on video in the run-up to the draft. And I find it very interesting watching coaches cut-ups, especially from Bills games. I'll take stuff like this over watching the clowns in suits walk through plays on the NFL Network set.

Alpha is a Fitz hater. No question those two picks but that's what gunslingers do. He gave us a chance to win when nobody thought we could. Short story is Fitzy has earned the r!ght to lead this team and I for one can't wait to see what he can do as the starter with some talent around him.

Hey San Jose. Did I read you were a BNY slum? Same here.

Edited by Green Lightning