What positives do you see coming into this season ?

The linebackers. Moats looked good getting after the passer(though he needs to work on run defending). Merriman healthy and in the last year of his contract(he should be motivated). Batten healthy(he was an ILB last year but should move to OLB because he can get after the passer too). We have 2 ILBs drafted and I think one of them will start very soon. Dave Wannstedt will be coaching this group. Poz is likely to be resigned(he seemed very happy with the offer tendered last year). With the addition of Dareus and possibly Jasper our linemen should make it a lot easier for our linebackers to make plays.

Many seem to be very concerned about this group, but we have made a lot of positive moves to make the linebackers better. I no longer see the defense as a weakness.

I'm pretty sure Merriman just signed a 2 year contract. But either way, he hasn't been on the field much in awhile so I think he'll be motivated regardless.

I feel we have the offensive line to be something to look forwrd to. I'm pretty sure Bell has been working on his strength this off season so he should be improved this year, especially in the run game. We have Wood looking like he's going to be center now. I think they are hoping Pears takes the Rtackle spot w/Hairston pushing him and urbik the guard, with Hang filling in where needed. I see improvement and some depth with this squad. We can only hope anyways.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that you pick the LBs. There's not one single established, proven championship calibur player. Merriman has barely played over the last few years and has been injured. Moats hasn't really proven himself to be a stud yet. I guess Poz is probably the best, although I would say that he's just an average to above average starter. Besides that it's rookies and other teams castoffs.

I've got to go with the DL. One pro-bowler (Williams), one potential star (Dareus), one solid veteran (Edwards), two rising prospects (Troup and Carrington) and one solid depth player (Johnson). That's a pretty good group. I think that by the year after next they will the best in the division.

Yea, I know. I'm funny like that. Wishful thinking? I don't think so. The linebackers have been injured, playing in a new scheme and have been exposed to an overall weak defensive line. Remember this is a team sport. One hand washes the other so to speak. If the defensive line stiffens up these guys will surprise people. We have some real good talent but up to now it simply hasn't translated on the field. I know that this is an optimistic point of view, but the very fact that the FO doesn't think it needs to add OLBs tells me that I am not the only one that shares this view. And ILB has been addressed in the draft. Take a look at this LINK.

I'm pretty sure Merriman just signed a 2 year contract. But either way, he hasn't been on the field much in awhile so I think he'll be motivated regardless.

I feel we have the offensive line to be something to look forwrd to. I'm pretty sure Bell has been working on his strength this off season so he should be improved this year, especially in the run game. We have Wood looking like he's going to be center now. I think they are hoping Pears takes the Rtackle spot w/Hairston pushing him and urbik the guard, with Hang filling in where needed. I see improvement and some depth with this squad. We can only hope anyways.

We know Merriman was pushing for a big contract before he came to Buffalo. He will have very little chance of that if he does not perform extremely well this year. This is the final year of his 2 year contract so in order to even get any kind of a decent new contract he has no choice but to perform this year.

Bell was playing injured last year so it is conceivable that he will improve. Right tackle was addressed during the draft ensuring that there will be a nice battle for that spot. As far as the interior of the offensive line, I think we are well ahead of the game. I agree that the offensive line is another area that we have good reason to look forward to. I fully expect this unit to improve. We saw explosive flashes from our offense as a whole last year. Even a small improvement from the offensive line will help. It will be interesting to watch because most of will agree that the defense has improved which will lead to a greater number of opportunities for the offense.

Edited by Rockinon

The only positive I see is Marcel Darius, and with both he and KW on that line it should be fun to watch.

As for the rest of the team not so much fun I think, the offense is going to be the same or perhaps worse without Lynch and now opposing teams have had a season to watch film on Fitz and the plays Gailey calls.

Virtually no upgrade to the offense .....soooo, to those who think the offense is gonna come out and romp and stomp and put up a lot of points better think again, tougher schedule also.

Tougher schedule is fine. If we can't win against tougher competition then we r not worth much. Who wants a soft schedule anyway. Soft schedules prove nothing.

I prefer a tougher schedule over a soft one. If hard we go into the playoffs with the proper experience. If soft our guys have a higher chance of getting shellacked in the playoffs. Hard schedule will make our guys tough as nails for when we make the postseason.

Edited by Pilsner

I'm more confident in the defense with the draft picks, a more seasoned Moats, hopefully healthy Merriman and Wannstedt's coaching experience. The offensive guys have continued to bond and practice during the off-season and I expect them to be even more exciting this year. Doug Whaley will continue to get the experience needed to become out long term GM when Buddy eventually retires

PLAYOFFS....PLAYOFFS.... in the voice of Jim Mora

What are you guys drinking....smoking, share it with a brotha

This team hasn't had a winning season in so long I've forgotten when they last did have a winning season.... c'mon guys get a grip... you remember last season... 4-12

All the Bills have done so far with the draft is replace the experienced veteran players that are going to leave, either released or via FA with rookies, I just don't get the playoff scenario at all....more like 2-14

Bunny Rabbit, I will concede that making the playoffs this coming season will be a tough chore. I'll never say it's out of the question tho. Sheppard, Dareus, Williams, Searcy and hopefully Hairston willl be contributing sooner than later. We will be severely challenged this season but I think most will see we are upgrading our talent for long term success. I've been as frustrated over the past decade as I'm sure you have been, but let's think long term here. We're building something solid and instant gratification isn't numero uno. Harvey you are one vocal Bills fan, I'll grant you that.

Think positive because that's what this thread is about.

Edited by Pilsner

PLAYOFFS....PLAYOFFS.... in the voice of Jim Mora

What are you guys drinking....smoking, share it with a brotha

This team hasn't had a winning season in so long I've forgotten when they last did have a winning season.... c'mon guys get a grip... you remember last season... 4-12

All the Bills have done so far with the draft is replace the experienced veteran players that are going to leave, either released or via FA with rookies, I just don't get the playoff scenario at all....more like 2-14

Take this crap to another thread. There's plenty of them from your ilk. This one's is for optimism - an emotion and word you struggle with.

Bunny Rabbit, I will concede that making the playoffs this coming season will be a tough chore. I'll never say it's out of the question tho. Sheppard, Dareus, Williams, Searcy and hopefully Hairston willl be contributing sooner than later. We will be severely challenged this season but I think most will see we are upgrading our talent for long term success. I've been as frustrated over the past decade as I'm sure you have been, but let's think long term here. We're building something solid and instant gratification isn't numero uno. Harvey you are one vocal Bills fan, I'll grant you that.

Think positive because that's what this thread is about.

I am thinking positive, but I'm also thinking realistically

I did say 2-14 because I think there will be a season, that's a positive thought! However, all these new players won't get the proper instruction due to the fact that they are already missing off season instruction-workouts, and mini camps. The longer this impasse between the league and players union draws out the harder it will be for the rookies to make the transition to the NFL and make an impact their first year.

I think you are correct in stating that Nix is building for long term, except he forgot to draft for the O line again this year so it will take longer then this year for certain. If you go back and look how quickly Bill Polian built up the Bills it did take 2 years, but also don't forget he was able to grab some players from the USFL at the same time. So yea, it will take at least 3-4 more years before this team starts actually competing for the division. The reason I say that is because Nix doesn't believe in building thru free agency and HC Gailey decided to hire a bunch of assistants with NO NFL experience, so the coaches are learning as well as the players.

Look at it this way, 2-14 this season might just get this franchise QB Andrew Luck next draft :D

We know Merriman was pushing for a big contract before he came to Buffalo. He will have very little chance of that if he does not perform extremely well this year. This is the final year of his 2 year contract so in order to even get any kind of a decent new contract he has no choice but to perform this year.

Bell was playing injured last year so it is conceivable that he will improve. Right tackle was addressed during the draft ensuring that there will be a nice battle for that spot. As far as the interior of the offensive line, I think we are well ahead of the game. I agree that the offensive line is another area that we have good reason to look forward to. I fully expect this unit to improve. We saw explosive flashes from our offense as a whole last year. Even a small improvement from the offensive line will help. It will be interesting to watch because most of will agree that the defense has improved which will lead to a greater number of opportunities for the offense.

I'm not sure where u got your info from, but Shawn just signed a 2 year incentive laden contract. This is the FIRST year of it.

My link

I am thinking positive, but I'm also thinking realistically

I did say 2-14 because I think there will be a season, that's a positive thought! However, all these new players won't get the proper instruction due to the fact that they are already missing off season instruction-workouts, and mini camps. The longer this impasse between the league and players union draws out the harder it will be for the rookies to make the transition to the NFL and make an impact their first year.

I think you are correct in stating that Nix is building for long term, except he forgot to draft for the O line again this year so it will take longer then this year for certain. If you go back and look how quickly Bill Polian built up the Bills it did take 2 years, but also don't forget he was able to grab some players from the USFL at the same time. So yea, it will take at least 3-4 more years before this team starts actually competing for the division. The reason I say that is because Nix doesn't believe in building thru free agency and HC Gailey decided to hire a bunch of assistants with NO NFL experience, so the coaches are learning as well as the players.

Look at it this way, 2-14 this season might just get this franchise QB Andrew Luck next draft :D

No, no you're not. 2-14. are you frickin serious? like chandler said, surely theres another thread for you. this one's NOT it.

Positives that I see for 2011-12:

1. Second year with the same coaching staff. This will help emensely, last year everythuing was new change from Jauron to Gailey and Co.

2. Last years rookies - I think Spiller and Troupe should really start to blossom. If we get improvement from David Nelson, Carrington and Moats that would be huge.

3. The defense should be better with the transition to 3-4 behind us. Wannestadt will help. Dareus will help.

What needs to happen:

1. Development of last years rookies and a contribution from this years rookies. Easley and Batten could be a pleasant surprise too.

2. Fitz improving and learning to win the close ones.

3. The emergence of real leadership, not just talk, but leadership on the field and in practice. With very few exceptions I would like to rid the roster of the Jauron era players.

Concern areas:

1. The OL should be better with Bell and Wood healthy. Nix and Gailey seem to like players such as Pears, Urbik and Wrotto. We need one of them to become a solid starter. I still see weakness and inexperience at OT.

2. Once again nothing at TE.

3. LB is still a concern especially if Merriman does not return to form.

Edited by Bob in STL

I'm not sure where u got your info from, but Shawn just signed a 2 year incentive laden contract. This is the FIRST year of it.

My link

No, no you're not. 2-14. are you frickin serious? like chandler said, surely theres another thread for you. this one's NOT it.

Link opens a blank page. Merriman signed with the Bills last year and though I am not absolutely certain he didn't get a new deal, I do know that the original deal was for 2 years. Just because he didn't play does not mean he did not get paid for the first year. Otherwise, I like your post. :thumbsup:

After some research, you are correct. He got a contract extension that will last through the close of the 2012 season. Found it on Buffalo Rumblings.

"$2.5 million in 2011, averages $5.25 million per year for the duration of the contract, and has playing time and performance escalators that could increase the value of the deal to as much as $9.25 million per season."

Edited by Rockinon

I like the potential of our defensive line. Our linebacking still leaves something to be desired. The key is Merriman. I don't think Moats is very good at this point.

I like our secondary.

I like our receivers.

I like our new uniforms.

That's about it for now.

RBs, Jackson is a solid NFL starter with a great prospect behind him in CJ Spiller. Hope to see Spiller become a bigger part of the offense this season.

Am excited to see a 3 man defensive line of Edwards-Williams-Dareus. Think it has potential to be a big strength for this team.

Just wish we had someone bigger that can punch it in on 3rd and goal...maybe that is Johnny White? Little short but stocky I believe...Also wish we had a Butch Rolle (I think that was his name?).. type that will get that unexpected t.d. at clutch time.

I am glad that M. Lynch is gone too...he worked very hard to get his 2 or 3 yards, couldn't outrun anyone when he did break one, and seemed like a bad player for team morale as he was influential with other young players. So much from past regimes was wrong...Lynch, Maybin, Whitner..yeah Whitner, Hardy, (talent wise only Kelsay..but he does have a good attitude), T. Edwards, Lossman etc...when you have to overcome these draft picks plus many others it takes years to do!

Not to mentione when you assemble some solid to very good players like Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Nate Clements, Antwoine Winfield, Jabari Greer, Leonhard, etc...and you let them all slip away because you don't want to pay them the market rate you have to make up for those holes as well...So this regime of Nix and Gailey pretty much started with a near empty well!

I think the positives of this season though will be evidenced by the progression of the 3-4 defense, and some unit cohesiveness on the offensive line and at the WR position.

I think you could very well see some increased production from the young players like McKelvin, Spiller, Troup, Moats, Nelson, etc...

I think it would be wise to bring in at a minimum one offensive and defensive players who are experienced and well seasoned who are known for their leadership skills as the Bills have a high percentage of young players who have a lot that could be learned from a mentor type of player. This is where S. Merriman may be best at contributing if not on the field.

When you look at it philosophically not too much seperates the Bills from half of the leaugue's players. Yes when you are talking about Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England, GreenBay and a few others their is a distinct difference in our talent base, but we can win one game or eight games depending on how willing everyone is to sing from the same sheet of musice, accept construnctive criticism from their coaches, and work to improve their individual and team performance on the field..not only on game day, but day to day during practice. Winning starts with doing that one extra pushup, situp, lift, lap, hour of studying your playbook, it's the little things that add up!!!!

We have a team right now that if they "billeave" and do all the small and big things on the practice field, film room, dietary wise, game day, and in the locker room to properly prepare they could be fighting for a playoff spot well into November if not longer! Remember, we lost some overtime games to teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh last season and some other close ones that could've been won if they played just a little better throughout the game and took advantage of one or two opportunities! It's the small things like putting your hands up to deflect a pass or not giving up a touchdown on a interception that matter!

We can win 9 or 10 games this year...but without total team committment we will not! If we just fall in line at an equal tempo with the other half of the leaugue and play as we are slotted then we are looking at 4 to 7 wins! Just like in life it's all about character, persisitence, overcoming challenges and great odds, and being as well conditioned as you can be as a player because it's in the trenches and in the 4th quarter that most teams win or lose a game as most games are close until one team makes up it's mind seperate itself! It's all about the will to win! and desire! That's why Parcells always said something like...I can win with my guys, but if I had your guys I could win too! That's why Bellicheck can replace marquee players that he feels inclined to dump and pickup a no-name fill in that will perform admirably year after year!

So it's a new season...and it can be as positive or negative dependent upon what the Bills make it! I think with all the positive slogans and pictures with motivating captions on them...drafting some key elements in the draft the past couple of years, working on building some depth, having a good Quarterback who is well liked and a good leader like Fitzy that we will be a very underated team with a lot of potential to win many games. I don't think there is one game that we can look at and say.."We can't win this game". I think instead we say "We can win this game and will"..We know this won't work everytime..but we believe that it will!

GO BILLS !

Positives?

Not a whole lot, to be honest.

I think we have some players that are edge of being good, but for the most part our team is incredibly average (and in many ways just simply bad). Hopefully the players can improve and the coaching can improve.

Positives?

Not a whole lot, to be honest.

I think we have some players that are edge of being good, but for the most part our team is incredibly average (and in many ways just simply bad). Hopefully the players can improve and the coaching can improve.

I feel like we have a huge mountain to climb this year, after last season. I just think that the team is making good decisions & getting better. Our WR core looks like our biggest strength by a landslide but if our defense could somehow crank this season, we could have a shot at a real good record. Our defense needed all the new blood it could get, like a tranfusion & I think that we did that.

Go Bills !!

Edited by Scrappy