What positives do you see coming into this season ?

I'm going to go with our WR core, I really like the Joker, Nelson, Easley (If Healthy) & Lee Evans. I can see that totally being the strength of our team, like a huge strength.

What else do we have to look forward too ??

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The linebackers. Moats looked good getting after the passer(though he needs to work on run defending). Merriman healthy and in the last year of his contract(he should be motivated). Batten healthy(he was an ILB last year but should move to OLB because he can get after the passer too). We have 2 ILBs drafted and I think one of them will start very soon. Dave Wannstedt will be coaching this group. Poz is likely to be resigned(he seemed very happy with the offer tendered last year). With the addition of Dareus and possibly Jasper our linemen should make it a lot easier for our linebackers to make plays.

Many seem to be very concerned about this group, but we have made a lot of positive moves to make the linebackers better. I no longer see the defense as a weakness.

I want to see what Jasper will bring. Could you imagine a line with Dareus, Jasper, and Williams? Damn.

Moats, merman, sheppard, poz as the linebackers...

And don't forget about the guys we didn't see much of. Batten, Coleman, and that is just the D!

I want to see what Jasper will bring. Could you imagine a line with Dareus, Jasper, and Williams? Damn.

I think you have a valid point here, just possibly a year or so removed. Jasper is a 7th round pick / might not make the starting squad & Dareus may take a year to get great. Heck, Bruce Smith wasn't that dominant his first year.

I think you have a valid point here, just possibly a year or so removed. Jasper is a 7th round pick / might not make the starting squad & Dareus may take a year to get great. Heck, Bruce Smith wasn't that dominant his first year.

Agreed, he was a 7th round pick for a reason, it's unreasonable to place high expectations on him especially in season #1.

The linebackers. Moats looked good getting after the passer(though he needs to work on run defending). Merriman healthy and in the last year of his contract(he should be motivated). Batten healthy(he was an ILB last year but should move to OLB because he can get after the passer too). We have 2 ILBs drafted and I think one of them will start very soon. Dave Wannstedt will be coaching this group. Poz is likely to be resigned(he seemed very happy with the offer tendered last year). With the addition of Dareus and possibly Jasper our linemen should make it a lot easier for our linebackers to make plays.

Many seem to be very concerned about this group, but we have made a lot of positive moves to make the linebackers better. I no longer see the defense as a weakness.

I'm surprised that you pick the LBs. There's not one single established, proven championship calibur player. Merriman has barely played over the last few years and has been injured. Moats hasn't really proven himself to be a stud yet. I guess Poz is probably the best, although I would say that he's just an average to above average starter. Besides that it's rookies and other teams castoffs.

I've got to go with the DL. One pro-bowler (Williams), one potential star (Dareus), one solid veteran (Edwards), two rising prospects (Troup and Carrington) and one solid depth player (Johnson). That's a pretty good group. I think that by the year after next they will the best in the division.

Edited by vincec

The fact that if the lockout kills the entire season we could draft third overall next year and not have to suffer through watching another woeful season to do it.

(meant to be funny, not negative... it didn't work... despite recognizing this I posted it anyway... guess I'm a douche :bag: )

Aside from that, I expect another developmental year, so IMO if players show significant development in the first half of the season it's all gravy.

I'm surprised that you pick the LBs. There's not one single established, proven championship calibur player. Merriman has barely played over the last few years and has been injured. Moats hasn't really proven himself to be a stud yet. I guess Poz is probably the best, although I would say that he's just an average to above average starter. Besides that it's rookies and other teams castoffs.

Agreed, I think all 4 LB spots are in the air. Can Merriman stay healthy? Will they resign Poz and will he stay healthy? Is the other ILB the aging Davis or the 3rd round rookie Sheppard? Is the other OLB "out of position" Kelsay or former 6th round pick with little experience Moats?

I think it's an intruiging group, but not a team strength or something to be positive about going into this season.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I look forward to the offense playing at least slightly better than last season to begin this season. I think our D will have plenty of growing pains to begin with but gradually get better and at the end of the season showing much more promise than last year. This is just my most conservative view. A lot more could very well happen.

It has honestly not yet hit me that a stud like Dareus is a Bill. He has the potential to follow Bruce's path to some extent. Perhaps in a few months I will wake up to the glorious fact we finally got a beast.

Edited by Pilsner

I look forward to the offense playing at least slightly better than last season to begin this season. I think our D will have plenty of growing pains to begin with but gradually get better and at the end of the season showing much more promise than last year.

It has honestly not yet hit me that a stud like Dareus is a Bill. He has the potential to follow Bruce's path to some extent. Perhaps in a few months I will wake up to the glorious fact we finally got a beast.

Dareus makes everyone better.

The biggest positive for me is Fitz and the maturity of the OL. Everyone likes to say that the new staff @ OBD knows what they are doing...well here is the chance to prove that they have a clue with QB and OL.

I'm most looking forward to the following:

Whether or not Fitz is a Derek Anderson or not. I like him too much to think he won't be.

Dareus

Spiller. Need to see him turn the corner.

Easley. I think everyone has a relatively good feeling about this kid. Excited to see him.

Kelvin Sheppard. My favorite pick of the whole draft. I think he's gonna be huge.

Merriman. I'd be excited if he was 75-80% of what he was in SD.

GAMES ARE WON AND LOST IN THE TRENCHES AND WE HAVE REVITILIZED BOTH LINES.

fOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE BEFORE FINA i EXPECT AN AVERAGE TO ABOVE AVERAGE O-LINE.

FOR GOAL LINE DEFENCE WE CAN PUT DAREUS 325 LBS,HEARD 355 LBS,JASPER 375 LBS, AND THE LITTLE GUY KYLE AT 315 LBS.RUN ON THAT LINE WHY DON'T CHA.

New SN's, Defend Greece and Athens Thunder? Who's next to join the Bills fandom, Socrates' Wild Hammer? This is a Greek rejuvenation of sorts. In any case welcome honorable Greek Bills fans :)

Edited by Pilsner

I'm most looking forward to the following:

Whether or not Fitz is a Derek Anderson or not. I like him too much to think he won't be.

Dareus

Spiller. Need to see him turn the corner.

Easley. I think everyone has a relatively good feeling about this kid. Excited to see him.

Kelvin Sheppard. My favorite pick of the whole draft. I think he's gonna be huge.

Merriman. I'd be excited if he was 75-80% of what he was in SD.

:thumbsup:

Thought it was one of the best drafts need wise in a while... Time will tell...

I think all eyes will be on Dareus and how fast he can become "unstoppable"... Here's hoping! :beer:

Kelvin Sheppard is the dark horse this year and I'm rootin' for him... could possibly be the next inside version of Talley... We'll see...

Edited by Buffalo Rally Monkey

I am looking forward to Fitzgibbons going into the season as the starter which would be even more exciting if he actually gets a camp and preseason in too. (I cannot stop thinking about what might have happened if that were the case last year).

I am hopeful for a Dareus-Troup-Williams D-line, but I do like a lot of combinations we can put together for 3-4 or 4-3. May take another year to come together.

And maybe it is a wishful thinking, and even so maybe a couple seasons away, but how about Jasper on the O-line in goal line situations?

Positives? I think there are a lot. Defensive front seven should improve tremendously. I think CJ Spiller should come into his own and I HOPE our offensive line gels, although our offensive tackle problems don't look like they've been resolved yet. I think Fitz is a better qb than most give him credit for and to have him with his own term in his own season should show us just how good he might be. I think that Gailey is a solid game day coach and should get the most out of what we have.

I'm thinking nine wins is about what we SHOULD expect and with a break or two we might do even better.

Positives - I'll have free time on Sundays to do other things while the owners and players continue to bicker about costs. I'll also save a couple hundred bucks on Sunday Ticket.

Downsides - No football. :(