Where are they now ... James Hardy

James Hardy finishes degree at IU

Good for him ... he's going to need something to fall back on (just in case this whole football thing doesn't work out for him). His final course work included a swimming class (to face his fear of water), and a dancing class (to improve his footwork). Says he has a "future contract" with Baltimore Ravens, whatever that means.

Go BILLS!

future contract? Did he just earn a huge fine for the Ravens?

Nope- pretty common, I believe they are essentially workout contracts, in a very rough sense. They hold his rights for next year but I'm not sure of restrictions.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't think he's on a current roster - the Bills cut him before 2010 season?

I thought teams could sign players who've been cut, or went undrafted in previous years (I guess that's equivalent to being cut?)

They could before the lockout, obviously not now. Essentially a futures contract is for players that finished the season without a team but does not begin until the new league year. I'm not sure entirely the advantages/disadvantages compared to just signing the player straight out but basically it's just a contract for future employment instead of current and is used for fringe players.

The Ravens signed him during the playoffs last year, IIRC...the Ravens season was over, at that point...so he signed a "letter of commitment" so to speak, with the Ravens, before the NFL season was officially over, and before the lockout began.

Edited by Buftex