Dareus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like most about Marcell and maybe its just me but in the video of him coming to Buffalo, when he goes to Mr. Wilson's office and Ralph starts getting up from his chair, Marcell went to him and helped him up. Sometimes its the little things the speak volumes. I think he will end up being a class act and someone who all of us as fans can be proud of to call a Bill.

Go Buffalo!

I noticed the same thing and thought wow a young man with class and manners. Me thinks his jerseys will be very popular amongst Bills fans. If he can really beef up our run defense. This will do wonders for the Offense. I have not looked it up but what was the time of possession stats for Our Beloved Bills last year. I would bet it was very lopsided. A stronger Defense can do nothing but make the offense better.

I noticed the same thing and thought wow a young man with class and manners. Me thinks his jerseys will be very popular amongst Bills fans. If he can really beef up our run defense. This will do wonders for the Offense. I have not looked it up but what was the time of possession stats for Our Beloved Bills last year. I would bet it was very lopsided. A stronger Defense can do nothing but make the offense better.

Well said!

So 2 lineman block KW and 2 lineman block Dareus, which leaves 1 lineman and maybe a TE or FB to block the rest of our front 7.

Yea, the other team may still win that one.

Mr. Pessimisim. I think Dareus will beat double teams (like Bruce did), KW was probably doubled all last year, still did pretty well. And the rest of our Front 7 will have huge holes to run though. A lot of the LB trouble stems from poor DL play. With Williams and Dareus the LB play will be improved.

By the sound of it, Troupe has been getting pumped too.

Good point. Everyone is forgetting about Troupe. Guy will be a 2nd year player, could have a break out year. Imagine the three of them, not to mention Carrington and Moats.

Can you imagine how quickly things turn around if our defense goes from worst to first this year? Yea, we had 2 early round draft picks on defense last year too, 7 out of 9 defensive picks this year, Moats looking good, Merriman back from injury and Dave Wannstedt to help out. Hey, it could happen. Getting Dareus was the icing on the cake.

Adding Wannstedt was a huge gain as well. I think we see a mammoth jump in 2011.

Adding Wannstedt was a huge gain as well. I think we see a mammoth jump in 2011.

But please don't forget there will be errors made in their growth, some might even cost us a game or two. 2012 is where it's at, defense wise.

But please don't forget there will be errors made in their growth, some might even cost us a game or two. 2012 is where it's at, defense wise.

True. Rookies make boneheaded mistakes, but the defense has been building for some time and not just this year. I believe Darius will contribute right away too. Alex Carrington looked pretty good toward the end of the year. Troupe has been beefing up. Moats looked good and will get more opportunities this year. Kyle Williams is still a force. Dwan Edwards is still a big DE. All our rookies really have to do is minimize mistakes and have a positive impact on the game. Some huge differences this year is that we now have depth where we didn't have depth, and we now have talent where we didn't have talent. It should be interesting to see what the offense can do with a big increase in time of possession thanks to an improved defense.

Edited by Rockinon

True. Rookies make boneheaded mistakes, but the defense has been building for some time and not just this year. I believe Darius will contribute right away too. Alex Carrington looked pretty good toward the end of the year. Troupe has been beefing up. Moats looked good and will get more opportunities this year. Kyle Williams is still a force. Dwan Edwards is still a big DE. All our rookies really have to do is minimize mistakes and have a positive impact on the game. Some huge differences this year is that we now have depth where we didn't have depth, and we now have talent where we didn't have talent. It should be interesting to see what the offense can do with a big increase in time of possession thanks to an improved defense.

If maybin can somehow be the player we drafted to be, can you imagine how improved we will be?

If maybin can somehow be the player we drafted to be, can you imagine how improved we will be?

I am not holding out much hope of that, but Merriman? Moats? Batten? Someone out of this group will rise to the challenge.

Dareus helps to control the edge while Kyle Stuffs the middle. While hopefully Carrington takes a step up or Dwan Edwards stays healthy to round out the D-line. Big worry with me is the LB core. Even if Poz is back there are a ton of questions. Andra Davis can't hold up over a season and is a liability in the pass game, Sheppard is just a rookie, Merriman is injured all the time, and Moats might not take that next step.

This team needs to stock up on LB's in free agency as well as resign Poz.

Magic 8 ball says ask again later but I like the attitude he's got.

Listen to all of these draft picks ... watch their game film ... these guys play every play hard plus they are team leaders with intelligence. The run D is going to be soooo much better (Yes, it can't get worse) but that will also increase pressure on the quarterback, which will give our DB's more opportunities for turnovers.

I am so glad Carolina picked Clauss ... oops Newton because it gave us the foundation of our new D in combination with Kyle!

GO BILLS

Dareus helps to control the edge while Kyle Stuffs the middle. While hopefully Carrington takes a step up or Dwan Edwards stays healthy to round out the D-line. Big worry with me is the LB core. Even if Poz is back there are a ton of questions. Andra Davis can't hold up over a season and is a liability in the pass game, Sheppard is just a rookie, Merriman is injured all the time, and Moats might not take that next step.

This team needs to stock up on LB's in free agency as well as resign Poz.

We got 2 linebackers out of the draft plus 5 more defensive players. What more could you want? All seven defensive picks to be linebackers? That's not very reasonable. We got Marcel freakin' Darius too who should help make the linebackers we do have look better. Pretty solid draft if you ask me. It's not like we didn't have some linebackers all ready on the team before the draft either. Liability? I am not so sure of that.

We got 2 linebackers out of the draft plus 5 more defensive players. What more could you want? All seven defensive picks to be linebackers? That's not very reasonable. We got Marcel freakin' Darius too who should help make the linebackers we do have look better. Pretty solid draft if you ask me. It's not like we didn't have some linebackers all ready on the team before the draft either. Liability? I am not so sure of that.

I think that the draft was dam good. You can't address every need especially considering we were missing a lot of linebackers. We had a lot of needs draft filled a lot of them but not all of them. Still think that there needs to be another MLB and OLB picked up even if they are just back ups.

If Poz is brought back look at the LB core

Poz and Merriman are hurt all the time

Kelsay very average pass rusher and run defender and a huge liability in pass defense

Andra Davis old and recently injury prone.

Sheppard just a rookie

Moats most reliable but still who knows what he will develop into

Batten late round round pick from last year can't really count on him.

Chris White a six round draft pick can't bank on him

That's everyone except Moats and Sheppard that isn't a late round pick or have sever injury issues. I think that in free agency there is value into getting a couple of linebackers as depth. No need for big names just guys that can step in and do a decent job when players get hurt.

I think that the draft was dam good. You can't address every need especially considering we were missing a lot of linebackers. We had a lot of needs draft filled a lot of them but not all of them. Still think that there needs to be another MLB and OLB picked up even if they are just back ups.

Kelsay very average pass rusher and run defender and a huge liability in pass defense

Sheppard just a rookie

That's everyone except Moats and Sheppard that isn't a late round pick or have sever injury issues. I think that in free agency there is value into getting a couple of linebackers as depth. No need for big names just guys that can step in and do a decent job when players get hurt.

I'm not saying that it invalidates your argument.

I just wanted to point out that you forgot Antonio Coleman who in spite of playing with a cast on his right hand for the first 7 weeks, led the SEC in sacks and was 2nd in tackles for loss in 2009. He was also AP All-SEC in 2008.

Sheppard just a rookie

That is a lot of linebackers to not have faith in. Honestly think you are being a worry wart. You don't think anyone else out of that group will rise to the challenge?

Edited by Rockinon

That is a lot of linebackers to not have faith in. Honestly think you are being a worry wart. You don't think anyone else out of that group will rise to the challenge?

Some will some won't it couldn't hurt to go out in free agency and get a few veteran LB's. A guy like Steven Cooper is a good guy to get. He can teach the 3-4 scheme to the young guys and provide depth.

Some will some won't it couldn't hurt to go out in free agency and get a few veteran LB's. A guy like Steven Cooper is a good guy to get. He can teach the 3-4 scheme to the young guys and provide depth.

I can see them possibly doing that, but they need at least one more backup QB, maybe a TE too out of free agency. They may just stand pat at LBs and see how they do with a revamped defensive line. Also, Wannstedt may be able to get something more out of the LBs too. He will be LBs coach as well as assistant head coach. Overall, I am seeing things a little more optimistically. Hope the lockout ends asap so these guys can get to work.

A lot of the time Bruce Smith was coming off the edge it was on 3rd down after the Bills had stopped the run on 1st and 2nd down. I would love to see Darius, Moats and Williams getting after Brady on a bunch of 3rd and eights. As Dennis Hopper used to say about Bruce, maybe we will once again be saying: "Bad things, man. Bad things!"

I would love to see that too, but, in order for the outcome of 80% of the those 3rd and 8s to NOT be "Wes Welker, 9 yard reception, 1st Down Patriots":

1. of course we need to have stopped the run on 1st and 2nd

2. we also needed to stop the "(insert Patriots TE), 12 yard reception, 1st Down Patriots" on 1st and 2nd, which means we have to have Safeties/nickel corners that can, and are allowed scheme-wise, to recognize and cover the damn TE seam routs that we haven't been able to cover, intentionally, for 10 years.

3. but most of all we need a slot corner who can cover Wes Welker, etc. long enough, especially on crossing routs, for Dareus, etc. to get on Brady, probably miss him the first time he steps to the right or left, but get him the on the second attempt.

If we can't cover Patriot receivers and, now, running backs, giving Brady outs, then the "super improved" pass rush only means getting beat by 9-10 yard chunks instead of 30 yard chunks. Great, we only lose by 10 points instead of 30, but we still lose.:wallbash:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Anyone think our running isn't going to improve?

Our running game was going to improve without any contributions from Dareus or Merriman just by the natural progression learning the 3-4, finding better splits in the hybrid 4-3, the mind of Wann-stache and players like Troup and Carrington developing. Add in Dareus, Merriman (don't underestimate his potential impact), and maybe a surprise snap or two from Mt. Jasper, and I the run D is not going to be our focus or weakspot this year.

I haven't had the chance to read up on Mr. Dareus lately as much as most of you. He seems like a strong willed individual. There seems to be a lot more to him than I realized. We never really know what truelly drives an individual but I think we get a hint of what makes his clock tick. As the time passes and as we get to know him better I get more enamored with what he can do for the Bills. I luv the fact he looks forward to close quarters contact even to fight for inches. He seems to relish this. Some here have busted my chops before for saying this, but from what he says he's the type of guy I would have in a foxhole. He'll hold his own, and he won't hold anyone else accountable except for himself. Talent, hard nosed play, perseverance, and loyalty, and no excuses. That's what I ask for.

I haven't had the chance to read up on Mr. Dareus lately as much as most of you. He seems like a strong willed individual. There seems to be a lot more to him than I realized. We never really know what truelly drives an individual but I think we get a hint of what makes his clock tick. As the time passes and as we get to know him better I get more enamored with what he can do for the Bills. I luv the fact he looks forward to close quarters contact even to fight for inches. He seems to relish this. Some here have busted my chops before for saying this, but from what he says he's the type of guy I would have in a foxhole. He'll hold his own, and he won't hold anyone else accountable except for himself. Talent, hard nosed play, perseverance, and loyalty, and no excuses. That's what I ask for.

Most of us know that Dareus is a rare talent given his overall high draft rankings and great college play. The real benefit though, is he is a perfect fit for the Bills defense line. He translates very well as a 30 front DE and a 40 front DT. Heck he can even line up as a NT if need be. This gives the Bills scheme diverse options we didn't have before. Having someone with rare talent lined up with another rare talent like Kyle Williams gives this defensive line a real boost. We are going to have a sick bull rush. With Troupe and Carrington now in their second year and our defensive scheme also in its second year we should see some nice improvements.