Gus Johnson and his energetic calls leave CBS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is tremendous.

Tremendously embarrassing.

There is alot of Gus Johnson hate in this thread & I just do not understand it. The guy is a great announcer. I am bummed that CBS would not agree to match. It was interesting to read that there may have been some jealousy involved. I bet it was that prick Jim Nance. The guy has got a great voice & knows when to turn it up a notch. I will miss him more for the College Basketball then when he did the NFL. & you say you do not tune in for an announce but until last year I always got the March madness ticket to get all the games(last year they were broadcast on stations you did not have to purchase) & I have a tournament party on Friday with about 10-12 guys coming over. Unless there is a game on with one of the schools that my friends or I have attended we always tune into the game that Gus Johnson & Len Elmore is announcing. CBS made a big mistake letting a talent like that go & they are going to regret it. Anybody that does not like Gus Johnson go on Youtube, type Gus Johnson in & there is a tribute to him call Fort Remix. Watch that & tell me you do not have goosebumps. The guy is terrific. "RISE & FIRE" "HERE COMES THE PAIN" "COUNT IT" "HA HA"

Dude, San Jose put it best -- the guy has become a caricature of himself. There's no "hate" -- I'm just embarrassed for the guy. Glad he found another gig, and it's on a network I rarely watch.

Tremendously embarrassing.

Dude, San Jose put it best -- the guy has become a caricature of himself. There's no "hate" -- I'm just embarrassed for the guy. Glad he found another gig, and it's on a network I rarely watch.

Okay I guess, although I do not see why you would be embarrased for the guy. I do not know if you watch college basketball much but he was the most popular announcer for the last several years. The guy makes the game fun & exciting. What is wrong with that? What announcers for college basketball do you like?

Okay I guess, although I do not see why you would be embarrased for the guy. I do not know if you watch college basketball much but he was the most popular announcer for the last several years. The guy makes the game fun & exciting. What is wrong with that? What announcers for college basketball do you like?

I always thought players made the game fun and exciting.

What announcers for college basketball do you like?

The ones who know the game and stay out of the way.

The problem with TV sports is the announcers are all trying to make names for themselves by having some schtick or gimmick. I tune in for the game, not the announcer. I've never turned a game ON because of a particular announcer, but I've sure as hell turned one OFF because of one.

A similar thing has happened with baseball umpires who think they're more important than the players.

All I want from a TV play-by-play announcer is an accurate description of what happened. From an analyst, I want explanation of a nuance I might have missed.

Radio is a different animal, and that could be the root of the problem. A radio announcer needs to paint the picture.

I always thought players made the game fun and exciting.

Okay I see your point but the announcer does add something to the game. It is interesting but I read where Gus Johnson is extremely popular with the 35 & under male crowd & not so much with the over 35 crowd. I do not know what demographic you fit into. I just turned 38 Friday but my wife consistently reminds me that I have the maturity of a 10 year old so I guess I fit into the under 35 crowd.

The ones who know the game and stay out of the way.

The problem with TV sports is the announcers are all trying to make names for themselves by having some schtick or gimmick. I tune in for the game, not the announcer. I've never turned a game ON because of a particular announcer, but I've sure as hell turned one OFF because of one.

A similar thing has happened with baseball umpires who think they're more important than the players.

All I want from a TV play-by-play announcer is an accurate description of what happened. From an analyst, I want explanation of a nuance I might have missed.

Radio is a different animal, and that could be the root of the problem. A radio announcer needs to paint the picture.

Could you name some names? I watch probably more college basketball then anybody & I am really interested to hear what college basketball announcers you like. I do not think nobody out there right now is better then the team of Gus Johnson & Len Elmore.

Edited by Gordio

Okay I see your point but the announcer does add something to the game. It is interesting but I read where Gus Johnson is extremely popular with the 35 & under male crowd & not so much with the over 35 crowd. I do not know what demographic you fit into. I just turned 38 Friday but wife consistently reminds me that I have the maturity of a 10 year old so I guess I fit into the under 35 crowd.

There you go; immature people tend to go for hype over substance. That's why 90% of the stuff on network TV is unwatchable, 90% of the current pop-music is unlistenable and you can't find an intelligent TV newscast anywhere in the US.

IMO, eball is spot on; what an annoucer should add to the game is an accurate description of it, nothing more. I don't need an annoucer to make himself 'part of the action'.

Personally, I think the best annoucer of any sport over any medium is Vin Scully.

There you go; immature people tend to go for hype over substance. That's why 90% of the stuff on network TV is unwatchable, 90% of the current pop-music is unlistenable and you can't find an intelligent TV newscast anywhere in the US.

IMO, eball is spot on; what an annoucer should add to the game is an accurate description of it, nothing more. I don't need an annoucer to make himself 'part of the action'.

Personally, I think the best annoucer of any sport over any medium is Vin Scully.

Ah Vin Scully. He always has a special place in my heart for the 1986 Game 6 World Series call. "little roller up along first...behnind the bag! It gets thru Buckner! Here comes Knight & the Mets Win!. I was 13 at the time. Great call. Never forget it.

Could you name some names? I watch probably more college basketball then anybody & I am really interested to hear what college basketball announcers you like. I do not think nobody out there right now is better then the team of Gus Johnson & Len Elmore.

Sean McDonough, Jim Nance, Brad Nessler, Ron Franklin, Dan Schulman, Dave Pasch. Note: I'm only listing play-by-play guys, because that's what Gus purports to be.

Edited by eball

Sean McDonough, Jim Nance, Brad Nessler, Ron Franklin, Dan Schulman, Dave Pasch. Note: I'm only listing play-by-play guys, because that's what Gus purports to be.

I like Nessler, Mcdonough & I was bummed that Ron Franklin's big mouth got him canned from ESPN because I used to really look forward to him announcing the Big 12(or whatever the hell they are called now) on Big Mondays. Those guys all get pretty excited also I think especially Mcdonough. Schulman is alright, Pasch & Nance I think are too boring. Just one man's opinion.

Ah Vin Scully. He always has a special place in my heart for the 1986 Game 6 World Series call. "little roller up along first...behnind the bag! It gets thru Buckner! Here comes Knight & the Mets Win!. I was 13 at the time. Great call. Never forget it.

Exactly!!! Can you imagine if some buffoon like Chris Berman had been making that call?

p.s. and it's criminal that Scully hasn't done a WS since (or at least not in many years).

There is alot of Gus Johnson hate in this thread & I just do not understand it. The guy is a great announcer. I am bummed that CBS would not agree to match. It was interesting to read that there may have been some jealousy involved. I bet it was that prick Jim Nance. The guy has got a great voice & knows when to turn it up a notch. I will miss him more for the College Basketball then when he did the NFL. & you say you do not tune in for an announce but until last year I always got the March madness ticket to get all the games(last year they were broadcast on stations you did not have to purchase) & I have a tournament party on Friday with about 10-12 guys coming over. Unless there is a game on with one of the schools that my friends or I have attended we always tune into the game that Gus Johnson & Len Elmore is announcing. CBS made a big mistake letting a talent like that go & they are going to regret it. Anybody that does not like Gus Johnson go on Youtube, type Gus Johnson in & there is a tribute to him call Fort Remix. Watch that & tell me you do not have goosebumps. The guy is terrific. "RISE & FIRE" "HERE COMES THE PAIN" "COUNT IT" "HA HA"

I for one do not hate Gus Johnson as for this viewer its the rare announcer who is so bad he makes the game difficult to watch (Dierdorf comes closes to being bad from my perspective).

A good announcer to me is one who knows when to shut up and let the majesty of the event or the achievement express itself. I think one of the best announcing jobs I have heard was Al Michaels at the 1980 US semifinal win over the Soviets mostly because he did the good play by play that comes with many hockey games where the action is so fast the announcer's main job is to augment the action by supplying names to specific actions, but it was a very good job in that he held his comments to one summary that expressed a lot of the magnitude of the moment "Do You Believe in Miracles?" and then for the most part shut up over the next few moments.

This is good announcing for this viewer.

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy Gus' orgasmic calls over the most mundane of plays? There's a reason he was CBS' 6th best play-by-play man on Sundays.

Nope, not the only one. I found his PbP obnoxious.

Nope, not the only one. I found his PbP obnoxious.

But for the most part the whole college basketball scene is set around an obnoxios atmosphere. From the student sections being literally a few feet behind the players bench, to all the different chants in the arenas, to the animated coaches that often times are within spitting distance of the refs to the craziness of the tournament. Gus Johnson fits into it perfectly. I remember a few years ago Missouri went into the Fog to play Kansas. Now these fan bases hate each other. My wife & my mother in law(who for some reason comes over every Monday) were mocking me for watching college basketball when a Sabres game was on. My MIL says "I do not know how you could think college basketball is better then hockey" Just then ESPN puts the screen on Allen Field House & the fans are doing some crazy chant(I mean the whole arena) before the tipoff & Musberger gets on & as only Brent can do says "folks I have been covering sporting events for a long time & I will tell you this I have never been in a sports venue that has as much energy & is as loud as this place is tonight" & I looked at my annoying mother in law flipped to the sabres game(they were playing New Jersey & the crowd was so quiet you could here a mouse fart) & said "do you see why I like college basketball a little more then the NHL?" Of course she said no which infurriated me even more. Some people are just too stupid to reason with. My point is guys like Gus Johnson & Brent Musberger add to that excitement. That can never be a bad thing.

But for the most part the whole college basketball scene is set around an obnoxios atmosphere. From the student sections being literally a few feet behind the players bench, to all the different chants in the arenas, to the animated coaches that often times are within spitting distance of the refs to the craziness of the tournament. Gus Johnson fits into it perfectly. I remember a few years ago Missouri went into the Fog to play Kansas. Now these fan bases hate each other. My wife & my mother in law(who for some reason comes over every Monday) were mocking me for watching college basketball when a Sabres game was on. My MIL says "I do not know how you could think college basketball is better then hockey" Just then ESPN puts the screen on Allen Field House & the fans are doing some crazy chant(I mean the whole arena) before the tipoff & Musberger gets on & as only Brent can do says "folks I have been covering sporting events for a long time & I will tell you this I have never been in a sports venue that has as much energy & is as loud as this place is tonight" & I looked at my annoying mother in law flipped to the sabres game(they were playing New Jersey & the crowd was so quiet you could here a mouse fart) & said "do you see why I like college basketball a little more then the NHL?" Of course she said no which infurriated me even more. Some people are just too stupid to reason with. My point is guys like Gus Johnson & Brent Musberger add to that excitement. That can never be a bad thing.

Problem is I've heard Brent say this exact same thing more than once and I wasn't watching this particular basketball game. He's so contrived and cliche that for me he diminishes the excitement of the game. Ditto for Gus.

Just my opinion though. Everyone's different and and I certainly respect your opinion about these 2 guys. For that type of announcer I always preferred Keith Jackson.

But for the most part the whole college basketball scene is set around an obnoxious atmosphere.

This is very true. I don't know about you guys but while we're talking about hyperbole machines and self-parody, I personally can't watch more than about 2 seconds of Dick Vitale…that's how long it takes for me to lower the volume or change the channel.

But there might be kollege studnets who love him! Like was mentioned earlier, it could be a demographic thing.