Chan/Buddy might need more to turn this team around

LGB

I would just like to point out a couple of things

- We were dead last against the run last year

- We were in nearly EVERY game we played last ear......fought till the very end

- We sustained A LOT of injuries....especially to our O Line......we had to be getting close to the record of players on injured reserve

- We were implementing a 3-4 defense for the first time even though we did not have the personnel to run it

Now take all that stuff....throw it in a pot...and stir it up a bit

Bills the comeback team of the NFL this year

Here are the weakness that I still see in this team.

I don't think Edwards has it in him to run a 3-4 defense successfully. He just cannot get the maximum out of his players. There is not much half-time adjustments and we continue to be porous.

We have no TEs on this team to either block successfully or catch passes or do both. This is a severe weakness on the offense.

OL - LT and RT are a huge question mark. And we did not address either of the positions. May be Bell is the answer at LT, but he has to be healthy.

LB - WE really have a sorry crew who cannot shed their blocks.

Strength of the team: WR corps, Guards, Running backs.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predicting anything above that gets you painted as a kool-aid drinker. I'm pretty confident (I usually am) that the Bills will be very competitive with a revamped D and the same offense (minus injuries, plus Marcus Easly) as last year.

PTR

But, you not only drink the Kool-Aid, you mix it up in huge vats, and have been known to take late night swims in the stuff. ;)

(Just messing with you, Promo.)

Going 2-14 and getting Andrew Luck would be the best thing that has happened to this team in 20 years.

Lets see... your name is 8and8forever... You want us to regress from last year... I think you are looking for the Dolfins page. Its not here. Nuff Said :blush:

Lets see... your name is 8and8forever... You want us to regress from last year... I think you are looking for the Dolfins page. Its not here. Nuff Said :blush:

Wanting to lose is definitely unfathomable to any NFL owner, executive, coach, or player. That said, during Nix' tenure with the Chargers, they didn't exactly light it up until picking top 5 for 3 out of 4 drafts from 2001-2004. With those picks, they acquired LaDainian Tomlinson, Quentin Jammer, and Philip Rivers. Tomlinson was outstanding, Jammer has his ups and downs, and Rivers is a top shelf QB. And of course, they picked high in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well.

No one wants to go through the pain that was the 2010 Bills season again. But I often look back and see how SD was rebuilt to provide a window into what a Nix rebuild takes. IMHO, I think Buffalo will pick top 5 again, although I suspect Whaley is GM for the 2012 draft. Still, they can't win the games from the front office. It's up to their players and coaching staff and I don't see enough talent at the critical positions to believe they'll win 7-9 games.

Edited by BillsVet

I agree. You can have all the cb's you want and it's not going to matter if you can't rush the passer, and if you don't have a good QB sustained success is not a possibility in today's NFL. But don't allow yourself to get caught up in a one year comparison like GB last year, or NO the year before. When you start doing that someone will always dig up a one year example that contradicts your example. Over the course of many years, you don't see consistent success in the NFL of the past decade without excellent QB play. Without exception.

As for what the Bills outlook is.....I think they have a brutal schedule, a suspect OL and a defense that is banking heavily on the very un-bankable Shawne Merriman.

I expect that Fitzpatrick will take a beating because of the OL and because opponents have a better idea of how to attack him(they made adjustments toward the end of last season and it showed) and that the Bills will lose a lot of games by a narrow margin(which will be misconstrued by some fans as a sign that they are better but unlucky) and they will be back around 4 wins next year.

Wanting to lose is definitely unfathomable to any NFL owner, executive, coach, or player. That said, during Nix' tenure with the Chargers, they didn't exactly light it up until picking top 5 for 3 out of 4 drafts from 2001-2004. With those picks, they acquired LaDainian Tomlinson, Quentin Jammer, and Philip Rivers. Tomlinson was outstanding, Jammer has his ups and downs, and Rivers is a top shelf QB. And of course, they picked high in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well.

No one wants to go through the pain that was the 2010 Bills season again. But I often look back and see how SD was rebuilt to provide a window into what a Nix rebuild takes. IMHO, I think Buffalo will pick top 5 again, although I suspect Whaley is GM for the 2012 draft. Still, they can't win the games from the front office. It's up to their players and coaching staff and I don't see enough talent at the critical positions to believe they'll win 7-9 games.

Can this fan base sustain another 3 years of losing, will Gailey and Nix survive that long?

I'm still waiting for them (Nix & Gailey) to show me the baby...

I'm still waiting for the #9 first round RB draft pick from last year to make the O line block better...Like Chan Gailey stated he would

Quote from last off season from Buddy Nix "" This team is not that far away"" until game 5, then it became '' "Its going to take some time""

I'm still waiting for one of last years draft picks to become a starter and make an impact...

Before this years draft both Gailey & Nix stated the team needs a RT, now Nix says "" we're a little deeper and a little better than people think we are in the offensive line."" mostly because an OT didn't fall to them.

I agree. You can have all the cb's you want and it's not going to matter if you can't rush the passer, and if you don't have a good QB sustained success is not a possibility in today's NFL. But don't allow yourself to get caught up in a one year comparison like GB last year, or NO the year before. When you start doing that someone will always dig up a one year example that contradicts your example. Over the course of many years, you don't see consistent success in the NFL of the past decade without excellent QB play. Without exception.

As for what the Bills outlook is.....I think they have a brutal schedule, a suspect OL and a defense that is banking heavily on the very un-bankable Shawne Merriman.

I expect that Fitzpatrick will take a beating because of the OL and because opponents have a better idea of how to attack him(they made adjustments toward the end of last season and it showed) and that the Bills will lose a lot of games by a narrow margin(which will be misconstrued by some fans as a sign that they are better but unlucky) and they will be back around 4 wins next year.

Dang, another non-kool-Aid drinker like myself...I'm just happy that Marcel Darius fell into Buffalo's lap and Carolina / Denver spared the Bills another 3 year QB project.

There still is the un-drafted players and free agency, lets hope Nix doesn't plan on going to bed again when they finally open.

Edited by Harvey lives

I'm still waiting for the #9 first round RB draft pick from last year to make the O line block better...Like Chan Gailey stated he would

Quote from last off season from Buddy Nix "" This team is not that far away"" until game 5, then it became '' "Its going to take some time""

For a NFL HC to say that a rookie RB not named Barry Sanders can make an OL look better is downright laughable. For a newly hired 70 year old first time GM to make the latter statement, it's plain ridiculous. We're told that Nix and Gailey are straight shooters who tell it like it is. Well, which is it? Were they not far away or was it (gasp) the GM and HC spouting hyperbole to rile up a downtrodden fan base? I point this out because we've heard, dating to Gregg Williams, a lot of talk without much results.

I don't think the fan base has a lot of patience with the franchise given the past decade of failure. There isn't one signature win since Levy took over and there are no star players on that roster. Rebuilding takes time, but it doesn't have to be 3-4 years like the owner said. Just ask Atlanta, Baltimore, and Green Bay.

You'd be happy with that? :rolleyes:

Yeah. A 4 game improvement would be huge. Dont you think? Anyone who thinks we're going to be a SB Contender is crazy. I would be thrilled with 8-8. 4 games better in Chan's second season, then you hope for a 1-2 game improvement in year 3 and hopefully by year 4 we are fighting for 12-14 wins and going deep into the playoffs. Rome wasnt built in a day, Neither were the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, or Saints. All we need to do is improve each year.

Yeah. A 4 game improvement would be huge. Dont you think? Anyone who thinks we're going to be a SB Contender is crazy. I would be thrilled with 8-8. 4 games better in Chan's second season, then you hope for a 1-2 game improvement in year 3 and hopefully by year 4 we are fighting for 12-14 wins and going deep into the playoffs. Rome wasnt built in a day, Neither were the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, or Saints. All we need to do is improve each year.

Agreed a 4 game improvement would be a plus. i'm always hoping for more but getting to 500 while kicking the **** out of the fish would be a great year