Atlanta tried to move up to #2

Giving up more than 48 points to the Packers in a playoff game.

I see what you did there! You looked that one up. One game.

I assume you're joking though.

The Saints won a SB (after an impressive draft), then-with the same team (and after drafting 5 more guys!!)--lost to super crappy Seattle by "over 40 points" in the wild card.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you did there! You looked that one up. One game.

I assume you're joking though.

The Saints won a SB (after an impressive draft), then-with the same team (and after drafting 5 more guys!!)--lost to super crappy Seattle by "over 40 points" in the wild card.

Let me put it this way:

I'm not the only one with serious doubts that the Falcons are "one player away." And that's how this trade has been framed.

I wish Crayonz was here to explain this for me.

Let me put it this way:

I'm not the only one with serious doubts that the Falcons are "one player away." And that's how this trade has been framed.

I wish Crayonz was here to explain this for me.

Crayonz! Awesome! I knew you were joking.

Anyway, no team is "one player away"--that's a completely absurd cliche. Look at the Packers--what were they seeded last year? Atalnta hasn't picked in the top 15 and they won't next year either.

Crayonz! Awesome! I knew you were joking.

Anyway, no team is "one player away"--that's a completely absurd cliche. Look at the Packers--what were they seeded last year? Atalnta hasn't picked in the top 15 and they won't next year either.

Never say never. An injury to Matty Ice, Abraham and/or Gonzalez hitting the "age wall" and losing two or three close ones and I could easily see this team losing more games than it wins, but that may be just me. I also believe that their RT Claybo is a FA (if we ever get to FA), so there's that to consider as well. (I'm personally hoping the Bills bring him in for a look if we do ever get to FA, but with the drafting of Hairston I doubt that's in the cards).....

They're a very good team adding to a great young offense. By not having next year's 1st round pick they are at risk of......what?

Giving up more than 48 points to the Packers in a playoff game.

:lol:

Never say never. An injury to Matty Ice, Abraham and/or Gonzalez hitting the "age wall" and losing two or three close ones and I could easily see this team losing more games than it wins, but that may be just me. I also believe that their RT Claybo is a FA (if we ever get to FA), so there's that to consider as well. (I'm personally hoping the Bills bring him in for a look if we do ever get to FA, but with the drafting of Hairston I doubt that's in the cards).....

This. Not to mention the Saints should be better this year, and so should the Bucs. And WR's are notorious for taking time to make an impact.

Buddy said the Bills received "about 15 calls before every round." His philosophy is clearly one of not moving down -- like it or not. He explained, "you move down because you think you can still get a guy, and then that guy isn't there."

OK....would you have preferred trading down 10 or so spots if it would have resulted in a 2012 first round pick in lieu of a cornerback?

And btw, you can answer yes without being labled as a hater or a chronic malcontent. At least I think one can.

I think the Bills would have considered trades had Dareus not been there. Once he was there, they weren't going to trade.

Right, once that type of player fell into their laps, there is no way they could not take him - but they might have done something after that to move up?

thats why ive said from the start, there are maybe a small group of wide receivers that would have that trade turned down, but its VERY limited.

even a guy like fitz with one year left on his deal would probably warrant more discussion than you think if that trade was on the table.

desean has the concussion issue and is due a big contract.

andre and calvin are about the only ones that are truly very tough calls. remember this is 2 first rounders, a second, and 2 fourth rounders!

also, when thinking about this, the last time a trade like this happened, the 9ers walked away with jj stokes. just saying. all these sure things in the draft are really coin flips. aj green and julio are both tremendous talents, but odds are one of them doesnt end up reaching 100 catches in his career, yet alone in a season.

ill take my chances on a vet for less if im the falcons.

I agree with you, I have attached a letter I wrote Peter King. I guess I was off on the belief that the Dolphins paid 1/4 of the price for Brandon Marshall it was more like a 1/3rd to a 1/2. I also should not have been specific in my reference to Fitzgerald. For what the Falcons gave up, once the CBA allows trades whom do you think the Falcons could have received and is that player a better bet than Jones is?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/03/mmqbte.kaepernick/index.html

I'M NOT SURE YOUR VALUE SYSTEM IS CORRECT. "Why do GMs in the NFL fall in love with draft prospects when the trade market (when it reopens) is so much cheaper? If the Falcons had waited for the CBA to be completed, they could have offered up far less to receive an NFL wide receiver that could help them immediately while achieving their goal of getting younger. I know he isn't the best example because of his personality, but Miami paid a quarter the price for Brandon Marshall. I would imagine that if the Falcons offered Arizona the same level of compensation, they could have landed Larry Fitzgerald. Who would you rather have, Fitzgerald (27 years old) or Julio Jones?''

-- Andrew Gardiner, Toronto

Fitzgerald. But that option was not open to the Falcons, and my experience is the Cardinals would not have taken the deal, because Fitzgerald is the centerpiece of their franchise. I often think draft picks are overvalued, so on that point I agree. But I can tell you this right now: Miami would rather have two second-round picks and the $10 million a year it's paying for Marshall back instead of having Marshall on the team.

Edited by agardin

You forgot that this is also the era of injuries. Hopefully Julio doesn't get injured this season. In a way that would be like drafting 5 players and having them all injured at the same time based on what they gave away to get him. I am not saying that it was a bad move, but we will know how smart this move really was come playoff time.

Forget era of injuries- let's remember that receivers are like 50-50 in the top ten and they got the second best. A guy with drop issues. They just traded all that for a receiver that doesn't catch the ball well. Like I said, the last receiver to fetch that bounty was jj stokes. If he busts, that's a lot of high picks wasted real fast. On a team with current holes, and big obvious holes on the near horizon. I know they've been steadily good lately but still no playoff wins, and I can't imagine a luckier team last year "earning" that #1 seed. Bad trade.